Lucky Letters/Chairs??

So Whimsy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It just popped up in my head that back in the day, I believe around 2010 there was hardly a store that didn't offer Lucky Chairs/Letters, some of them putting pretty nice things in there, too. I distinctly remember ADN and Virtual Attire who had tons of them with 20+ people there at all times hoping to get lucky.

Thinking about it, I have seen them around less and less. Why did you think they declined in popularity? Was it that merchants lost interest or the costumers/freebie hunters?

Better yet, is there still stores who have them? If you know of any please post the name or slurl here!

The stores I have come across lately who did have some Lucky boards/chairs were:

Simply Shelby
Two Moon Gardens
Olive Hair

I'd be happy to check out any stores with these lucky things, nostalgia is beautiful, it's not even about what's in the chair, it's about that 'awh hell yeah' feeling of your letter popping up and getting something free xD

• Like 1

I still see quite a few stores with them - though for most of them, you have to be a member of the group.

As to why they aren't as popular - I think they started dying off way back when they changed how traffic was calculated.  Back then, the primary purpose of them was to increase traffic.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Alien gizmo's & erotica store at bonaire52 sim have prize chairs for group members, and a free 200L gift voucher at the landing point.

Amacci at amacci sim also have some group freebies, but to memory, no prize chairs.

ee designs at poconos sim have some prize chairs.

M&M style at coral sunset sim have prize chairs/boards.

Edited by panatropica
added info
  • Thanks 1

Boards and lucky chairs are still around, so are freebie hunters.

The way people shop has changed. Shopping used to be an exploring, word of mouth kind of thing. You could go to a store or mall and find a cool store nobody ever heard of. You’d pop in see if they had anything new, any new freebies, hang out and wait for a board to have your letter, buy a thing, get a thing for free, move on to the next store...rinse and repeat.

Somewhere in there events started. The events only have the newest items (mostly, I’ve seen repeat items) and people don’t visit stores like they used to. The way you get your stuff out there is by doing events. They still do freebies but freebies are group gifts. No need to hang around, just join the group...grab your freebie and go.

There are also blogs that tell you where the freebies are. There just isn’t a need for them like there used to be...for creators or shoppers.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

As to why they aren't as popular - I think they started dying off way back when they changed how traffic was calculated.  Back then, the primary purpose of them was to increase traffic.

To expand on this, it used to be that the search system ranked places solely on traffic so, to get a place high in the rankings, various things were done to get people (traffic) onto place owners' land - camping, lucky chairs, etc. Then the search system was completely changed, and a completely different method was (and still is) used to rank places in the search results. Traffic still counted, but only a little, so the need for camping, lucky chairs, and such, was drastically reduced. That was especially so since many, perhaps most, people wrongly believed that traffic no longer affected rankings, so camping, etc. was no longer of any benefit. Even some Lindens wrongly thought that traffic no longer counted. Consequently, those traffic-generating things became scarce.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Brii has several, it is a big store so they can be tricky to find by just wandering around. Turn on you mini map and look for the crowd. They require that you be in the group, and the group cost 200L to join.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone! I am happy there's still a few stores around.

I had thought along the traffic line being the major reason but I was curious to see if perhaps I had missed another reason for the decline. I just like them, they make getting group gifts more engaging than simple being in an out of a store in five seconds (or five hours depending on the load time) without actually looking around. Plus, i did have many nice conversations back in the day while waiting for my letter to come up. Was an easy way to meet people who had the same taste as you.

• Like 2

I do see midnight manias, lucky boards/chairs, mob vends, mini manias etc. from time to time i even use some of the things myself. i think part of the reason they aren't so popular is people got tired of the craze they'd join groups dedicated to midnight mania for a time they'd be happy to have their screen constantly spammed then they'd start closing the group chat and leaving groups. i think another part of the reason is the creator of the products isn't active is SL anymore last i heard RL was getting in the way and they're not developing products anymore

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

i think another part of the reason is the creator of the products isn't active is SL anymore last i heard RL was getting in the way and they're not developing products anymore

That would be alarming, as most I see are by Casper...

And this, dear Forumites - is how rumors are born ;)

Edited by Fionalein

Luckies? Campere? Off the top of my head...

ADN

Alien Gismo / Erotica - Male and female mesh clothing

Appliers By Valerie ABV - Appliers for latex wear for female mesh bodies

Wow skins - guess

7Deadly Skins - guess again

Etchaflesh - Womens mesh clothing

Sl*tshop - mesh vlothing /accessories, mostly womens, some mens

Night Wish Toys NWT - gags, slave cushions and rlv rug traps (lol)

No Cabide - Womens mesh clothing

Alice Project - Mesh hair

Tam's Trouseau - Mesh clothing/body piercings/jewelery

Sugarmesh / Sugarmesh for men - Mesh clothing

Sn@tch - Mesh clothing

The Little Bat TLB - Mesh clothing & accessories - GOTH

There's more, including some weapo/armour vendors, I know but I can't remember them all, off the top of my head.

Some of these places also have Mini-Manias, Midnight Manias, Group Gifts, Raffle boards, Fishing for outfit parts, lucky dips etc, depending on the time of year sometimes.

Edited by Klytyna
  • Thanks 1

Shoenique has Lucky Chairs.  Zuri's Jewelry has 'em upstairs, and also has some Midnight Mania boards.

Bargain hunters may want to consider joining the group "1Linden 1 Hour"...items are offered for one hour at participating stores for just $L1.

Cog and Fleur has a couple of MM boards.

N-Core has gachas and generally some sort of weekend sale item.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Bargain hunters may want to consider joining the group "1Linden 1 Hour"...items are offered for one hour at participating stores for just $L1.

I've actually picked up tons of items from this group - clothes, shoes/boots, furniture, landscaping items.  Most of it is decent stuff.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.