You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2169 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am link 11 table sets. Each set has the table with two table clothes, 4 plates with a napkin, a vase with a flower and a ribbon, 4 chairs covered with a cloth. The total objects for one set when linking comes to 10 but when I try to link all 11 tables I get this error: "Unable to link these 584 objects. You can only link a maximum of 256 objects."

Can anyone explain to me why I can not link them and what I  need to change in how I am linking. I have searched everything I can find and am at a total loss now.

TIA, Krickett

You are only able to link 256 "prims" together as one item. The items you are trying to link are made of multiple "prims", the total sum of all these "prims" is larger than 256.

Prims here is used loosely, the items you're trying to link might be made of multiple actual prims, or multiple mesh parts .. each of which still count as one prim for the purpose of linking.

• Like 2

And, in fact, "prims" is the old-style language. What really counts is the land impact ("L.I.") of the total mass, which may be less than the prim count if the object is set with a convex hull physics type (or could be more if you  screw up).  All of this can get terribly confusing, but the bottom line is that 256 is a hard limit.  The only workaround is to not link so many things together.

Edited by Rolig Loon

3 minutes ago, KrickettArcher said:

Thank you both. I knew about the 256 limit. I guess I was hoping someone knew a workaround for it. Maybe that is putting it all in a rezzer?

It depends on why you want to link them.

To keep them together in your inventory, link them in as few and big linksets as possible and softlink the linksets.

To move everything in one go, select all linksets and move them together.

4 minutes ago, KrickettArcher said:

I guess I was hoping someone knew a workaround for it. Maybe that is putting it all in a rezzer?

Um... no.  If what you mean is a repeating temp rezzer, don't even think about it. On many private estate (like mine) you can be forced to leave if you use a repeating temp rezzer to try to beat rezzing limits.  If you're on the mainland, your neighbors may be justified in submitting an abuse report for excessive use of sim resources (and creating lag).

If you meant rezzing things on demand instead of keeping everything you own in world at once, though, that's a possibility. I have no idea why you want to have all of those tables out at once, of course, but it you only need three or four at a time .... sure, rez what you need and keep the rest in the box.

I'm not really sure what all of this has to do with linking a lot of things together.......  o.O

No I am talking about the type of rezzer that holds the entire build. Similiar to the ones that are used to sell skyboxes or houses on the marketplace. I can put the build into it and when I am ready to use it, I can rez it out. I have never heard of a repeating temp rezzer.

I am making a venue for my land for when visitors come to see me. I don't want it permanently on the land. I want it in my inventory and bring it out when I need it. I have an island sim with 30K prims so trying to beat the LI is not the problem. I just don't want to spend the 4 hours of setting it up every time I want to use it. What it has to do with linking prims is that I wanted to link the entire thing but that will not work. So I am going to just link the max I can and store them in my inventory that way.

Gotcha.  That makes perfect sense.  In that case, if the tables and whatever are always going to be set up in the same spots each time they are rezzed, the easiest solution is to put out several rezzers, with a few tables sets in each one instead of trying to rez everything at once.   That has the appeal of being more flexible, since you might not really need to have all of the tables every time anyway, and it also means a lot less work for the servers (hence less lag).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2169 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.