animats

Autodesk Fusion 360 to Second Life

aswitchbox02.png.2160a5d38cd9d5f3826e77bb1068efad.png

Electrical switch box, designed in Autodesk Fusion 360.

The Collada exporter in Autodesk Meshmaker (beta) will convert Autodesk Fusion files into .dae files which are accepted by Second Life. So there's a path from CAD models of real world objects to Second Life.

Fusion is what SketchUp wants to be when it grows up. It's a constructive solid geometry system, like SketchUp, but with much more power. It's intended for engineering design, where you're going to make the thing in the real world.This might be a useful approach if you wanted to design some elaborate machine and bring it into SL. Models made this way will usually need mesh reduction, some of which Meshmaker can do.

Hi,

Fusion has a steap learning curve (blender too)

Fusion is not free, you can have a 1 year license for free for personal use but what after that ?

Autodesk usually released software in beta for free and after that they charge massive to buy the full version. 

I wouldn´t invest time to learn their software if it doesnt stay free or at least at a reasonable price.

Blender and the Avastar team doing a great job being compatible to SL.

Don´t get me wrong: Blender is awful and i use Fusion 360 for 3D printing, just think its bit exaggerated for SL.

Monti

CAD programs don't make game grade models. But i guess it's okay if you limit yourself to designing with them and then remodel/optimize everything in blender.