Autodesk Fusion 360 to Second Life

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

aswitchbox02.png.2160a5d38cd9d5f3826e77bb1068efad.png

Electrical switch box, designed in Autodesk Fusion 360.

The Collada exporter in Autodesk Meshmaker (beta) will convert Autodesk Fusion files into .dae files which are accepted by Second Life. So there's a path from CAD models of real world objects to Second Life.

Fusion is what SketchUp wants to be when it grows up. It's a constructive solid geometry system, like SketchUp, but with much more power. It's intended for engineering design, where you're going to make the thing in the real world.This might be a useful approach if you wanted to design some elaborate machine and bring it into SL. Models made this way will usually need mesh reduction, some of which Meshmaker can do.

Hi,

Fusion has a steap learning curve (blender too)

Fusion is not free, you can have a 1 year license for free for personal use but what after that ?

Autodesk usually released software in beta for free and after that they charge massive to buy the full version. 

I wouldn´t invest time to learn their software if it doesnt stay free or at least at a reasonable price.

Blender and the Avastar team doing a great job being compatible to SL.

Don´t get me wrong: Blender is awful and i use Fusion 360 for 3D printing, just think its bit exaggerated for SL.

Monti

• 1 year later...
On 5/11/2018 at 3:53 AM, Monti Messmer said:

It's actually still free.

It appears that they've just changed how the licensing works for some.

I used to have "Startup", which was free.. .still is, but it appears to convert to pay type after the trial is over.

I just updated mine about 2 weeks ago or so and had ti flip to "personal use."

It also appears that you have to re-register or confirm use every year.  I was able to confirm the license and it's still working.

It appears that there are some features disabled in the personal version, but so far, I haven't run up against any.  I suspect that those are the more advanced features that a business would use.

Also, for those wanting to learn, I can HIGHLY recommend the YouTube set of lessons by Paul McWhorter.

He's a teacher and is excellent at how he teaches Fusion.  He's very detailed and very deliberate.  He doesn't go super fast, but rather, just like you'd expect from a real teacher, he goes over every step.  It really helps the learning process.

So, yes, Fusion is still free for personal use.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.