New to mainland

Syo Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

I'm currently playing around with the idea of becoming a premium member and getting a mainland parcel, instead of simply renting from some private estate like I used to do before. With the recent increase in land you can have without paying extra (free land just sounds incorrect), premium + mainland sounds more reasonable than renting.

Now before I jump into this idea head first, I'd like to collect a few opinions and suggestions.

What should I pay attention to, when looking for land?

Is there a huge difference between M or A rated sims, if its for purely private living? (Meaning: Is it worth it getting an A rated parcel, considering the huge price difference between the same types of parcels, that just seems to be tied to the rating).

IMO - M land is all you need for private living.  

For land shopping, I currently recommend looking at the map and finding abandoned land.  There are some huge plots out there (and LL will even sub-divide for you), thus there is no reason to pay for anything else unless you really want waterfront or road access or you find something that is less than L$1 per sqm.  

Just open the map and click on areas that appear empty.  It will say 'abandoned' if it is.  Then TP there and check it out -- look in all directions with your normal draw distance and then fly up, spinning around as you go to see what is up there. Even if you don't plan on spending much time up high, go up at least to 1500 to see if the sky around you is filled with skyboxes or breedable farms.  If it is and if they are in the same sim, they can cause lagging.  Also, check you stats meter to ensure the FPS is decent.  When you find something you like, write down the exact coordinates -- of the entire plot you want if you are wanting LL to sub-divide a large abandoned piece (and they likely won't give you a piece in the middle of an abandoned plot).  Then submit a support ticket requesting them to sell it to you -- you need to already be Premium before submitting the ticket.  If they agree to letting you have it, they will set it to sale for you only, usually at a price of L$1 per sqm.

That ticket can take a few days to get an answer, so in the mean time, you might want to peruse for other plots in case LL doesn't want to let you have the requested one for some reason.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

If it's not public -- that is, not listed in Search -- a Moderate parcel and a tiny bit of discretion should be fine. (That's notwithstanding the actual rules, about which there's some confusion now.)

Two additional suggestions:

1. Don't commit to a Mainland spot as your "forever home" even after you've owned it for a while. You're always subject to the arrival of Bad Neighbors and then it's best to be able to pull up stakes without a lot of regret or recriminations. Even if you decide to stay, it's good for that to be a rational decision, not one all fraught with emotional baggage.
  2. Before you buy, check the sim Statistics (Ctrl-Shift-1) to make sure there's some "Spare Time" available so "Scripts Run" stays very near to 100%. Especially (but not exclusively) on Mainland there's a growing plague of sky platforms as factory farms for breedables, and their scripts will try to use more than the total amount of time available to the simulation, causing all scripts to slow down dramatically. It can be completely impractical to use a mesh body HUD in these regions because scripts are so slow to register changes. The thing is, this does not register on most lag meters, so you need to check the statistics yourself. (If the breedables arrive after you've moved in, it may be one of those "pull up stakes" occasions.)
  • Like 3

Honestly, I want to thank you both a lot. The huge piles of empty land actually being "empty" didn't cross my mind, to be honest. There is even lots of empty land with endless unblocked waterview! If I have luck with some land, you are both invited for a drink on my terrace. :x

• Like 1

Pay annually for membership. Once you factor in the value of L$ you're effectively only paying $1 US per month for membership and all it's perks .. 

Don't discount the high buy in price of double-prim land such as horizons. you can get a 1024 with 700 Li that does result in a decent saving in the long run.

I wrote a detailed breakdown of the costs on Reddit 

I've got the annual membership now. Horizon was out of my budget, even if it is a good deal in the long run (still thanks for mentioning it, was interesting to read about it). I opened a ticket now, requesting a piece of abandoned land being put for sale. Wish me luck :D

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

I've got the annual membership now. Horizon was out of my budget, even if it is a good deal in the long run (still thanks for mentioning it, was interesting to read about it). I opened a ticket now, requesting a piece of abandoned land being put for sale. Wish me luck :D

Good luck, I put in a ticket for the same on the 9th. My fingers are crossed, though not holding my breath since I did go a step further. The abandoned land is over 20k sqm, I requested they cut out 4608m² adjectant to my parcel. Probably lowers my chances by a lot >.>

Just now, Syn Anatine said:

Good luck, I put in a ticket for the same on the 9th. My fingers are crossed, though not holding my breath since I did go a step further. The abandoned land is over 20k sqm, I requested they cut out 4608m² adjectant to my parcel. Probably lowers my chances by a lot >.>

My desired land would also need to be cut off from a bigger piece, but I do hope, that the overall shape of this big chunk of land acts in my favor. It has no "smooth" edges, there are cuts into it and even two parcels cut out in the middle. If I'm not mistaken, my desired piece of land sits between a bigger parcel, that is up for sale by another resident and a second, stretched parcel of empty land.

I put in a request for abandoned mainland it was a huge abandoned plot.  I only needed 8192 sqm but Linden asked for the coordinates I needed and cut it to size .  I put the ticket in on Sunday and purchased it today.  The person I spoke to said Linden are being more generous with direct sales of abandoned land due to the surge in demand.  Fingers crossed

• Like 1

A few Lindens have even mentioned in the forums here that they are being more generous with the abandoned land requests.  However, one of them also mentioned that they are getting a lot of requests, so patience will likely be needed.  I think the longest that I've heard it take for someone was roughly a week.

• Like 1

Along with all the good advice here I will also add that there are mainland DEALS if you are looking for them.  Land sometimes is put for sale even lower than auction land prices and perfectly good lots.  You can often get upscale land for a linden a meter or a tiny bit above -- ones with views, road frontage, protected adjoining land, decent (current) neighborhood etc.   It just depends on who is leaving or moving.

This is currently true as well as historically and will likely remain true as many folks would rather get "something" for their land rather than wait or abandon. So perusing the map can be both a fun and worthwhile endeavor. 

And so far as Horizons and prices, I have seen lots advertised here on the forums for under 20,000 for a 1024 and while I have no real desire to live in Horizons (you can RENT there REALLY REALLY CHEAPLY if you catch a good offer) that is a good deal if you need prims rather than space.

I agree that as long as you aren't running a commercial enterprise with adult activities and don't have sex on your front lawn you are probably OK with most activities on moderate land. That has changed A LOT over the years and is currently (as mentioned) very foggy and the ACTUAL policy needs to be updated methinks -- officially.

On 11.5.2018 at 8:01 PM, Syo Emerald said:

My desired land would also need to be cut off from a bigger piece, but I do hope, that the overall shape of this big chunk of land acts in my favor. It has no "smooth" edges, there are cuts into it and even two parcels cut out in the middle. If I'm not mistaken, my desired piece of land sits between a bigger parcel, that is up for sale by another resident and a second, stretched parcel of empty land.

I literally just heard back from them. Took them 5 days but the wait was worth it. They cut out the 4608m² for me and sold it to me directly for 1L/m².

I am a frigging happy panda.

They did mention the influx of land requests and mentioned being 'more generous' with it, which I believe means not only are they more likely to sell it directly but they're also happy to adjust the landsize like they did for me. So my fingers are crossed they'll be doing the same for you.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

I literally just heard back from them. Took them 5 days but the wait was worth it. They cut out the 4608m² for me and sold it to me directly for 1L/m².

They did mention the influx of land requests and mentioned being 'more generous' with it, which I believe means not only are they more likely to sell it directly but they're also happy to adjust the landsize like they did for me. So my fingers are crossed they'll be doing the same for you.

Awsome! Did you already get to use it? :)

On 5/14/2018 at 11:05 PM, Syn Anatine said:

Lucky you. They put the requested land I asked to buy, in auctions. Even is my 2 other parcels share the border.

Maybe they are more generous with bigger plots, knowing that they are harder to get rid of.

16 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

Awsome! Did you already get to use it? :)

I'm on my second day of finding the perfect home for it. It's really not as easy as it sounds xD

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Lucky you. They put the requested land I asked to buy, in auctions. Even is my 2 other parcels share the border.

Maybe they are more generous with bigger plots, knowing that they are harder to get rid of.

I'm sorry to hear that :( You may be right about the size, what size was the abandoned land you requested?

2 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

I'm on my second day of finding the perfect home for it. It's really not as easy as it sounds xD

I'm sorry to hear that :( You may be right about the size, what size was the abandoned land you requested?

1024 m, the best size to sell, I assume. Before it was abandoned, it was for sale from another resident for 30 000. And he abandoned it. I will put my highest bid to 10 000 L, other 1024 m in the same region goes for 5000 L.

I should have asked him if he could reduce the price and get some money. Worst that could happen was that he said no and abandoned it because my offer made him mad. Oh well. I learn.

4 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

Ah, I know that feeling. Although, its slowly shifting to "okay, which of all the houses I own do I put up now?".

Any particular style you are looking for? (Just to make matters worse ;) )

I switch up my houses regularly. I like to make new scenes to log into. I know all too well the feeling of needing the 'perfect' house for the mood. 

I'm currently digging this open living kind of option at the moment. The trick is trying to make sure I get decent LOD objects since so many can be seen by my neighbors. Capture_001.thumb.png.10cd205a9b7cb692feff2891012f0135.png

Edited by Nalytha

Ok, here comes a funny story:

So after checking this thread today, I looked at my ticket status, which hadn't changed. So I went inworld and opened the map, to look at my desired piece of land...and noticed a green dot close by. Curiously I watched the dot for a while, but then decided to not be awkward and not investigate whos there. Instead, I went shopping to grab a few demos and finally deciede what things I want from several events. But I got tired and decided to finally go to the abandoned piece of land, to go either afk to grab some coffee or go offline.

The green dot was still there, now above the coastline. I teleported anyway, thinking it might be someone interested in buying the parcel next to my spot.

I arrived on the big patch of abandoned landmass and noticed...the date of abandment had changed to today (the previous date was sometime in October). I clicked on the land to figure out whats going on and noticed that the yellow line was now right beside me...

...and then I looked up to the sky and the green dot was a Linden and beneth her was MY LAND. The spot I wanted, with me selected for a direct sell <3

I'm now the proud (and happy) owner of a hill-side parcel with an ocean view (Ocean sitting on protected land!).

• Like 6

On 5/10/2018 at 9:59 AM, Syo Emerald said:

Hello!

I'm currently playing around with the idea of becoming a premium member and getting a mainland parcel, instead of simply renting from some private estate like I used to do before. With the recent increase in land you can have without paying extra (free land just sounds incorrect), premium + mainland sounds more reasonable than renting.

Now before I jump into this idea head first, I'd like to collect a few opinions and suggestions.

What should I pay attention to, when looking for land?

Is there a huge difference between M or A rated sims, if its for purely private living? (Meaning: Is it worth it getting an A rated parcel, considering the huge price difference between the same types of parcels, that just seems to be tied to the rating).

Although the OP found his dream, I'm just putting this here for others who read the thread.

No, it is never worth getting an A parcel for private end use, get M which enables you still to conduct adult activity if kept behind closed doors, i.e. it's not a public venue like a bar.

In buying land, look around at the neighboring parcels. Have they been there long? What are the dates they acquired their land? A stable neighbour is like gold in SL. Or do they all looked like recently flipped parcels where anything can happen.

Using the advanced menu, take off "volume" and "water". Look carefully at the parcel. Are there any hidden landmines? These would include "donut holes," i.e. a hole in the land that an unscrupulous land seller leaves to then try to extort you into "buying your view". Is the parcel uneven?

Are there any strange jags that, if put in "access only" or with an aggressive security orb will make it hard for you to get in and out of the land? Fly around -- any ban lines nearby that will make your life miserable?

Look at the map. How many people are on it? Do you see huge piles of green dots? Is there a club that not only might lag you to death but literally may prevent you from getting home if they take up all the avatar slots on the sim.

Don't assume "abandoned land" will stay that way.

Don't assume if there is a build or a tree or a something nearby you don't like that you will simply ask and that owner will change it for you. Not only do most owners NOT change anything, they often retaliate with griefing and making worse builds.

Look around at other land for sale on that sim and others. Maybe there's something cheaper and better? And from the other side: are people able to sell their land here so that you won't be forced to abandon it yourself if you don't want to keep the premium.

It's a buyers' market, so be demanding and discriminating. Always ask the seller if he is willing to sell it for a lower amount and name a figure to him. He may accept it, or go down somewhat from his selling price.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2018 at 4:23 PM, CoffeeDujour said:

Tier is spelled "tier".

I don't know where you get the idea that a 1024 is rented "for $800". That's ridiculous. I don't have any 1024s for that amount (mine are $125 to $250 at the most) and I don't know any mainland owners that have an $800 cost for renting a 1024. Is this on some high priced private island perhaps?

Renting is ALWAYS cheaper than buying in SL because of the cost of the premium and the tier. There are still reasons to buy for total control of the land. But you pay for that total control, most of which is given to you by rental landlords anyways.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

Ok, here comes a funny story:

So after checking this thread today, I looked at my ticket status, which hadn't changed. So I went inworld and opened the map, to look at my desired piece of land...and noticed a green dot close by. Curiously I watched the dot for a while, but then decided to not be awkward and not investigate whos there. Instead, I went shopping to grab a few demos and finally deciede what things I want from several events. But I got tired and decided to finally go to the abandoned piece of land, to go either afk to grab some coffee or go offline.

The green dot was still there, now above the coastline. I teleported anyway, thinking it might be someone interested in buying the parcel next to my spot.

I arrived on the big patch of abandoned landmass and noticed...the date of abandment had changed to today (the previous date was sometime in October). I clicked on the land to figure out whats going on and noticed that the yellow line was now right beside me...

...and then I looked up to the sky and the green dot was a Linden and beneth her was MY LAND. The spot I wanted, with me selected for a direct sell <3

I'm now the proud (and happy) owner of a hill-side parcel with an ocean view (Ocean sitting on protected land!).

That is definitely an SL fairy tale! Congratulations!

I find the Lindens will never sell me more than 512, but that's probably because I've bought a lot of their abandoned parcels over the years.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I don't have any 1024s for that amount (mine are $125 to $250 at the most) and I don't know any mainland owners that have an $800 cost for renting a 1024. Is this on some high priced private island perhaps?

didn't know as soon you don't rent out for that price others aren't allowed either..

And yes there are lots of parcels at certain desirable areas, and friendly landlords, that go for that rent. Of course not in a huge lump of other rentals and the chance to be butchered as soon the landlord has a sore toe.

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Tier is spelled "tier".

yes that makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.