Nalytha

Where Do You Demo?

On the rare occasion when i've been the only one in sim i've demoed instore i will usually demo in the privacy of my home so i can get a proper idea of how something will work with my AO/furniture or have a good mess around with the HUD/customisation options

In addition to reasons mentioned by others, I usually try demos at home because I tend to budget to buy one item only and prefer to take my time whittling down the options to my final choice.

I used to be shy about demoing in the store, but now I just try things on where I am at if there are not TOO many people around. If there are it's way too laggy for all involved. Some stores also have nice spots that serve as convenient photo studios and honestly they are usually mostly empty too. The only time I go home to demo is with event things or with those pesky boxes that can't be rezzed in the store.

If it's clothes or a head skin and it's an event, I'll try it on at the event. Sorry, not sorry...I'm not coming back to the event to buy a couple of things. If it's a store, I'll go home and try it on though.

For me it depends on the item and the location.  For hair and clothes I'll usually try them on in the store - alphas as necessary but as long as certain "bits" are detached the naked male body is pretty much PG anyway.  For skins, mesh bodyparts etc, a more extensive testing is required so I'll take them home and take my time over it. 

And if it's a special event like a fair, I'll always take the demos home. They're far too laggy to be trying them on in the event.

I can fully understand people showing their parts at popular shopping events, by trying out demos. After all, you've been running that horrible Teleport Hammer (seriously--they should ban the maker of that blasted thing) for half a day to get in in the first place, so you wouldn't want to give up your hardly-earned spot in the region by casually tp-ing out.

Usually, I grab a few demos and try them out in a secret sky hangar. But sometimes, you'll see me walking around from booth to booth, wearing a demo item laced with flashy demo signs and no pants, just hairy legs with no private parts dangling between them--more a clean shaved spot at the groin. Not to provoke or upset people, just because I'm trying to focus on the frustrating task of changing outfits, thinking 'f*ck this sh*t'--I don't care what other people think--I'm trying to figure this out.

Changing outfits has come a long way in SL. In the early days, 2007s, doing so was a breeze. detach and attach, double click, done. Now it's requiring a lot more focus, finding things in your inventory, performing a multitude of clicks, operating complicated mesh body HUDs, to do the simplest of dressing tasks.

The increasingly complex task of trying out and changing clothes is also the reason why I buy less outfits than I used to. Clothing with auto-alpha scripts are a step in the right direction, though. There's light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I can fully understand people showing their parts at popular shopping events, by trying out demos.

I often considered loading Robin Wood's templates into an Omega applier to get an acceptable outfit to run around in nude for demoing in shops. So far I didn't do it due to being a lazy kitty.

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

After all, you've been running that horrible Teleport Hammer (seriously--they should ban the maker of that blasted thing)

I think you can TP faster if watching the land in Region Tracker now, I was told the Lindens redid the servers to ignore fast incoming TP requests by the same person for a while, making the Hammer an obsolete Piece of Junk that only creates more lag because the server still has to take in your request before deciding to dump it anyway.

Edited by Fionalein

23 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

This reminds me of a problem at events: often the item isn't available at the creator's store nor marketplace for a month or so after it's introduced exclusively at an event. (Even worse, the problem of true "event exclusives" that won't ever appear anywhere but the event.) Then a link to the store won't help, and by the time I get around to checking some demos, I'll forget at which event I got it.* So that's an advantage of trying demos at the event where the item can still be found. And an additional tip to creators: while packaging demos for an event, include the specific event location with the demo.

That's a good point. I didn't clarify that for me I do 'shopping event" - I'll hop around the MP first - try those demos at home. If I go popping around the grid for in-world lag-induced shopping then I'll grab the demos first, then go home to try them out. In those cases (especially events) I'll get to try the demos immediately because I am already with the intent to buy stuff. Then return to grab the retail versions. :)

As I've mentioned, for myself I will try to make the most efficient use of my time when on a shopping spree. And doing that is surely a different process for each person.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Changing outfits has come a long way in SL. In the early days, 2007s, doing so was a breeze. detach and attach, double click, done.

Yeah, but back then you had just as much of a chance of ending up with your hair or shoes up you butt than actually being where they belonged.  O.o

• Haha 1

It varies, sometimes I try them on thier, sometimes take them to my home. When changing clothes in a G or M rated public place, demo or otherwise, I wear the new clothes before removing the old, so I am never naked.

If it involves nudity I usually do that somewhere nobody can see for the sake of other users. 

For clothing sometimes I’ll try it on in store  by removing the body first then putting back on when covered with the demo. For hair snd anything external there is no problem anywhere.  

One thing I do  is use the Firestorm camera controls to remember where the vender is so I dont lose it in a big store in case I want to buy it.  It’s so easy to lose  where the item was checking out the demo I have on.  

59 minutes ago, chardonay Babii said:

If it involves nudity I usually do that somewhere nobody can see for the sake of other users.

No need, I lost count of the amount of times I went to some event with 10+ avatars there and it was tata's and dingeling galore until their clothes eventually rezzed. You can be as covered up and self conscious as you want, if you wear mesh clothes there's a 100% chance someone has seen you naked regardless xD

Edited by Syn Anatine
  • Thanks 1

I always demo in store.

If no unpacker script, I wear the box, edit it, yank the yes copy from contents, set my alpha to hide everything... put on the new bit, fill in the gaps :D

would take me longer to TP in and out of the region some days than it would to try it on and no one can see anything if there's not a thing to see.

Though if I like the demo enough I'll walk out wearing the full version without ever needing a changing room!.

if not? hit the saved outfit you had on, demo falls off, and you can restore a saved alpha/use a copy of your body with an alpha already set.

My only gripe is the not-so-smart auto alpha's getting around lately, that leave you completely naked when you take off the demo and it restores all the bits of the alpha it thinks it should... not all the bits of the alpha it needed to set, then you get stuck in panic mode.

Edited by Ipecac Burnham

Unless I happen to find a demo in a small shop, so it's easy to remember where I found it, I prefer to try on demos right next to the vendor. It's way too easy to get turned around in a big store and lose track of which vendor I got which demo from.  Changing in the store saves time and reduces my frustration level.  I really don't worry about being naked in public.  These days, thanks to the fact that mesh bodies seem to rez faster than clothing, most places I go to are already full of other naked people anyway. I might as well join the crowd. B|