Nalytha

Where Do You Demo?

Out of curiousity and boredom... I’m curious as to other people’s ritual when it comes to trying a clothing demo on. Do you teleport someplace private? Do you change right there? Do you get offended when someone changes in front of you? What if they have underwear on, does that make it different?

Personally, I check my mini map and if no one is there, I change as quickly as I can and as discreetly. I wear applier underwear to cover my bits but try not to be naked 

• Like 1

I've seen people trying on clothing demos in stores or at events, and that doesn't bother me.  However, I collect all the demos I want to try from the store or from an event, and then go back to my house.  When I'm trying on clothing demos, I like to walk around a bit and also try a few sitting poses.  Depending on the type of clothing, I may also want to try the demo piece out with some other clothing items.  I guess I just feel more relaxed at my house. 

• Like 3

Prefer to try them on while in in the store, just because demos end up forgotten in my inventory ... usually till I'm back in the store at some later date :/

My memory for things like this is a bit of a train wreck .. 

• Like 3

Depends on the place and how busy it is. If the event is super laggy and busy I will take them home. If its less busy I will demo on the spot. I try not to end up naked but it really doesn't bother me if the timing gets off a bit. When I go away from a store/event to demo i go to the platform i have on my land that i use for sorting/inventory stuff.

• Like 1

Most of the time, I take demos home and try them on there, but usually it is because I have multiple demos and it just seems easier to do them at home.  There are times when I want to try just one demo somewhere and I'll just go ahead in the store.  It is more complicated in stores since I try to avoid nudity, thus demo clothing on first, followed by current clothing being removed, then current clothing back on and demo clothing off.

I'll try hair on in the store, but like Moira said earlier, I prefer trying clothing on at home where I will try out various accessories, hairstyles, etc with it before I decide if it's for me.

Usually at the spot. Sometimes very carefully, taking off only what needs come off and having my alpha selection menu at the ready... Or I'll just throw everything off and hope the demo itself will cover me.

In RL, a shopping event would be the last place for me to start stripping, but...

In SL, getting into and navigating an event (to find that one interesting menswear piece among the billion high-heeled shoes, lingerie outfits and dresses) is just too much a hassle to grab a demo and go home and then have to do it all over again. I'll just derender everyone and try the demo on the spot, and if it's laggy as it often is, I'll stand around half-naked and semi-alpha'd stubbornly trying to get it on until I succeed.

• Like 1

We collect all the demos, then try them on at home on a special platform at 1510 metres. This allows more time to try various combinations, full movement tests, and also not impacting too many other people with texture loads.

Event shopping is almost always a shared experience for me, so this also allows more humour as we can giggle and tease about the various bad styles, or wearing skunks on our heads.

I don't care if other people try things on*, nipples, hoohaws, and other bits don't offend me.

*as long as they take at least 5 steps from the landing zone for gawds sake.

Edited by Callum Meriman

Always at home, since I rarely try on just one demo, and I usually try it with several other things to ensure I can get multiple uses and looks out of it. (Example: if it won't work on one mesh head or body, I'll switch to a different one, and doing that in a store would only add to the burden on others' viewers, as Bitsy mentioned.) A demo session can last several hours for me, and often I'll build an entire look around a demo until I'm happy with it, before I then go back and purchase the full item.

• Like 1

I would demo things at an event, and sometimes do, but usually my cam is so far from my avatar that it would take work to get it back there after checking out the demo.

... which reminds me of a simple "save/restore view" cam HUD button I've been meaning to script. I wonder... maybe some TPVs have something similar built-in?

Firestorm, and maybe others, has save and restore camera position buttons in its Cameratools floater. It would be nice to have them as separate entities, maybe as toolbar buttons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Demoing in cam sims seems generally easier. If it's bad enough to where it's just impossible to see any result with demos, I either go to a sandbox or find an empty mainland sim. Demoing at the event has the advantage of being able to purchase the item while there since it may be difficult to get back in on a free account. The last event I recall that was impossible to work with was one dedicated to shoes. I think it was set to like 100 people or something and it was molasses.

If I had a home, I would go there to try demos. My second best choice is going to a sandbox. I collect a bunch of demos and go there and try everything on. To me, thats more effective, because I don't waste space at a crowded event and are not affected by lag, longer rezz times, disabled scripts and can drop boxes, if I need to. Unfortunatly my favorite sandbox has closed recently and I'm looking for a new place.

I'll usually park myself in a corner somewhere and camera-browse, trying on demos right there. I'll try to avoid unnecessary nudity, and I'll add on the demo clothing before removing my existing pieces (and vice versa, for changing back), but at the end of the day most (all?) clothing stores are marked as Moderate, and if I TP out to try them on then the temptation to go look elsewhere for a complimentary demo is too great, two hours later and I have ~30 demos from six different stores.

High-lag events are different, simply because the effort-ometer swings in the other direction. Body-part demos, like skins, makeup tatttoos, etc, I'll try at home, simply because that will involve me stripping down to the bare bones and playing around with lighting, often for far longer.

2 hours ago, KT Kingsley said:

Firestorm, and maybe others, has save and restore camera position buttons in its Cameratools floater. It would be nice to have them as separate entities, maybe as toolbar buttons.

I like this idea. A lot. 

• Like 1

If I am somewhere where there is no lag I'll just change there. I don't give a hoot about my boobies bouncings all over the place. They're pixel boobs, not my own RL ones, to me that's one heck of a difference xD

If there is lag and I am forced to go to my own place to try something on...chances are I won't bother going back to the store, especially if it's one of those stores where you land in the middle of the sim and have to walk all the way back to the vendor, because teleporting and flying aren't allowed. I know Area search and zoom in exists but...principles. I have them. ¬¬

For me, it's about efficiency. I go shopping and collect demos as I go, always putting them into my "New Demos" folder before moving on to the next place. When doing other things, if something catches my eye and there's a demo, I'll grab it then, also. Whenever I'm ready to try them on, I'll do it at home (because super-low-lag sim helps textures load more quickly - important for those ridiculous 10-minute demos).

This makes it especially easy when comparing two or more similar items, where I really only want one of them - I can go back and forth to make my decision.

This also is why it's probably a good idea that all you creators ensure you have a link to your MP (preferably to this specific item) in the info notecard and a SLURL as well if available in world (in that order, please). Because I collect demos willy-nilly. It may be a day or two or a week before I try them on. And if I find something I like and no easy way to find the retail version again...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

This also is why it's probably a good idea that all you creators ensure you have a link to your MP (preferably to this specific item) in the info notecard and a SLURL as well if available in world (in that order, please). Because I collect demos willy-nilly. It may be a day or two or a week before I try them on. And if I find something I like and no easy way to find the retail version again...

This reminds me of a problem at events: often the item isn't available at the creator's store nor marketplace for a month or so after it's introduced exclusively at an event. (Even worse, the problem of true "event exclusives" that won't ever appear anywhere but the event.) Then a link to the store won't help, and by the time I get around to checking some demos, I'll forget at which event I got it.* So that's an advantage of trying demos at the event where the item can still be found. And an additional tip to creators: while packaging demos for an event, include the specific event location with the demo.

I don't shop much, and when I do it's usually to get something in particular. If there is a demo, I will try it right there, so if it works out I can buy immediately.

Incidentally, that is how I bought my first kilt. The sales girl wrapped the kilt around me, covering up all that needed to be covered, and I took off my trousers. I liked that kilt so much I paid for it immediately, and put my trousers into my bag. A case of RL emulating SL!

I try stuff on at my land..I have this section setup for it, plus have my music playing and my atmosphere..

What others do really doesn't bother me..I've seen it all before many times..

hehehe

I just go to the main map and pick out an empty sim nearby. I get to visit a new place and try on some outfits.

I do see a lot of naked avatars in laggy areas because the mesh body always seems to render first followed by mesh clothes a few minutes/seconds later.

5 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I'll usually park myself in a corner somewhere and camera-browse, trying on demos right there. I'll try to avoid unnecessary nudity, and I'll add on the demo clothing before removing my existing pieces (and vice versa, for changing back), but at the end of the day most (all?) clothing stores are marked as Moderate, and if I TP out to try them on then the temptation to go look elsewhere for a complimentary demo is too great, two hours later and I have ~30 demos from six different stores.

High-lag events are different, simply because the effort-ometer swings in the other direction. Body-part demos, like skins, makeup tatttoos, etc, I'll try at home, simply because that will involve me stripping down to the bare bones and playing around with lighting, often for far longer.

Ditto. This is what I do as well.