Latest Viewer 2 keeps crashing before login screen?

sounds Turner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, there is a known problem on the Windows version, sometimes the cache can become corrupt in a way that will prevent a start.  Find %LOCALAPPDATA% in the start menu search bar, Open the SecondLife folder there to double check that it contains cache files, then delete them all.  There are pointer so other known startup troubles in the release notes.

For me, it caused my viewer instead or becoming unresponsive at initializing VFS and needing to be closed forsibly, actually to close on it's own and offer a crash report it won't send because it can't connect to servers.

I guess that's some progress.

Same here, I can't log in, crashes before it loads and I get the crash report, that you cant send, it says cant connect to servers. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I have uninstalled V2, installed beta. Still did not work. Went into my pc and removed cache manually, uninstalled again, did a registry fix and reinstalled and still getting the same thing. Is there ANYTHING at all I can do to fix this?

I have notices when the viewer crashes before it really opens, sometimes it offers a crash report and sometimes it doesn't.

And after reinstalling I managed to open it once and then it broke down again.

Maybe it opened because it didn't remember it have crashed?

So when you get it to crash and not offer a crash report the next time you open it, then reinstalling will indeed open it?

Except how do you know will it offer a report or will it not and under which cirtumstances it remembers or forgets that it crashed.

Ciaran Laval wrote:

I can't even install it, I get a message that a certain file couldn't be opened for writing.

In my experience, this is often due to an SLPlugin or SLVoice that kept running even though your viewers are shut down... IIRC the file in question is zlib1.dll

This is getting very frustrating. I have looked and did everything everyone has said that "should correct this" but nothing is working. Phoenix runs fine on my PC but it's to confusing to use. Why isn't this problem being fixed? Does anyone know of anything that i haven't tried to do already? Is it a bug? Is it my PC? not the cache like others have said, i have deleted manually and still not fixed. HELP :smileysad:

Vex Streeter wrote:

Ciaran Laval wrote:

I can't even install it, I get a message that a certain file couldn't be opened for writing.

In my experience, this is often due to an SLPlugin or SLVoice that kept running even though your viewers are shut down... IIRC the file in question is zlib1.dll

Thanks for that, I shall look into it, SLPlugin.exe was one of the files that couldn't be opened for writing.

Oh BTW... I downloaded 2.6.3 into one of my other laptops and was no problem logging into it. BUTTT my avatar was blurry, would not come in at all. My AO would not work at all. So I much rather use the old one till they get all the bugs cleared out anyway.

Viewer 2.6.3 failed to install one of its dlls on 64 bit Win 7 and I haven't been able to fix it by backing up to an earlier version. 

Viewer 2.6.3 is being crammed down the throat of my older machine now with a bunch of pop-up notices.  I'm afraid to log off because I may not be able to get back on to finish deliverables on time.

What happened to the Grid Status blog we used to use for LL updates on issues like this? I sure hope this gets fixed soon but how can we tell when or if?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i experince the same trouble and it seems since first post on April 26th the problem isnt solved yet. so since last update my "save" old Version 2.2 of Viewer 2 got blocked, i just use a third party viewer, which i would prefer not to.

i tried all posted solutions i could find, but none did work for me so far. i keep hope up. :smileywink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.