JoeDex

Is this snotty or condescending?

@ALL 

I just want to thank you all for the helpful and informative comments. As always, this forum has been a big help. 

Thanks

Joe

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 11:17 PM, JoeDex said:

I have come to respect the opinions in the forum and I know they can be brutally honest. I also know that I am a poor wordsmith and sometimes to not fully convey what I want to say.

I have the following in my profile and I would like your thoughts on it - I am prepared for brutal honesty so tell me what you think.

"I am coming of a fun relationship that ended. Oil and Water can mix for a while but it requires a lot of shaking. So I am open to an SL relationship again. If you are looking for a knight in slightly rusted battered old armor  that will be there for you a few nights a week then say Hello."

Oh good, someone I can relate with. Alright, let's see here...

You display that you're not perfect. That you're not a "white knight in shining armor". it shows you have flaws. I consider this a GOOD thing. That said it also shows you're accepting your "rusty self". Also good but Is rusty what you want to be? Or can you keep polishing the armor? Rather do you need another to polish you when wearing it? Support and all.

"battered" might hint at "scars". We all have them. Bringing up "fun" can also indicate "I was with them for the fun, screw drama". Being blunt, drama is best handled, not ignored. We all want a good time and the best way to do that IMO is to deal with the bad so the best can be focused on. Which, ironically, can be because of the bad. There's "fun" and there's "meaningful". There's "having a laugh" and then there's "feeling safe and happy". If I could put this into a metaphor it would be like being in the freezing rain and then having the warmest bath you ever had (oh hey, maybe an oil bath idea for the rusty knight? Maybe after a fight too)

Overall it's a good metaphor. The oil and water is basically going "We can make this work even if we're different". Another good thing. And true too. Incompatible people can and do make things work out. That one I can't fault at all. It's a great way of phrasing it. "I'm me. You're you. Let's shake things up together". Love it.

I have a talent for "reading" people and am normally cautious with it. In this case since you asked I decided to "wing it". Some of my observations I am positive are accurate. Others are more "wild guesses" that may or may not apply. We are as others see us, not just how we see ourselves alone. Ponder that for a moment. Consider the worth others give us.

On 5/9/2018 at 6:41 PM, Syn Anatine said:

That sounds needy. While the part about your alt sounds...narcisstic.

Though I suppose if you are sort of desperate for a relationship being up front about it might work too in finding a woman equally desperate.

I'd like to imagine SL women have more class but...eh, who am I kidding.

Wow, I wouldn't take advice from someone that sounds like she has people pissing in her cheerios all day if I were you, Joe.  Someone has obviously *****ed her up a lot in SL or even RL maybe as well.  The best advice is to just do you. Write what you feel & take your time when getting to know someone, the majority of women actually prefer honesty over pretending you feel or don't feel this or that.  Simple as that.  If you take the jaded know it all's advice you will be very unhappy, you know, just like she sounds.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, HaileeTempesta said:

Wow, I wouldn't take advice from someone that sounds like she has people pissing in her cheerios all day if I were you, Joe.  Someone has obviously *****ed her up a lot in SL or even RL maybe as well.  

And what do you have to compensate for?

• Like 3

On 5/9/2018 at 6:17 PM, JoeDex said:

I have come to respect the opinions in the forum and I know they can be brutally honest. I also know that I am a poor wordsmith and sometimes to not fully convey what I want to say.

I have the following in my profile and I would like your thoughts on it - I am prepared for brutal honesty so tell me what you think.

"I am coming of a fun relationship that ended. Oil and Water can mix for a while but it requires a lot of shaking. So I am open to an SL relationship again. If you are looking for a knight in slightly rusted battered old armor  that will be there for you a few nights a week then say Hello."

So if someone says hello, it implies that they read your "about" and are interested. 

It also says if they aren't looking for a relationship, then don't waste your time.

Very nice, I bet lots of girls are iming you all the time

I added this to my profile.

Disembodied mind in a rotating semi transparent sphere, wishes to meet same to explore SL and intermingle our thoughts.

Must like hats

22 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Are you folks just bored or why does every thread devolve right now?

I vote to make Fionalien a forum moderator with full powers to make sure everyone stays on topic.

What's the whooshing sound?

Oh, its just the sound of all the fun being sucked out of the forums.

Edited by Phorumities
spelling

10 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

I vote to make Fionalien a forum moderator with full powers to make sure everyone stays on topic.

What's the whooshing sound?

Oh, its just the sound of all the fun being sucked out of the forums.

Glad I have a devoted fan xD

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HaileeTempesta said:

Wow, I wouldn't take advice from someone that sounds like she has people pissing in her cheerios all day if I were you, Joe.  Someone has obviously *****ed her up a lot in SL or even RL maybe as well.  The best advice is to just do you. Write what you feel & take your time when getting to know someone, the majority of women actually prefer honesty over pretending you feel or don't feel this or that.  Simple as that.  If you take the jaded know it all's advice you will be very unhappy, you know, just like she sounds.

HEY!!! @Dakota Linden doesn't like that kind of 

language.gif.515abe0f2d2bdef4e5ffceb01692e186.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1