Why do applier layers make mesh body show thru fitmesh clothing?

Hetaera Romano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2158 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just noticed that when I make applier clothing layers visible, my Maitreya lara body shows through a fitmesh top, but it doesn't show through when I do not make the clothing or underwear layer visible. See photos.

Why is that?Β Aren't applier clothes just like a coat of paint, just replacing the skin pixels on the parts they cover?

No layers.png

Underwear.png

Clothing.png

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Not really.

I'm sure someone can tell you more about the how's and why's if you're into all that, but, no. Or yes. What?

Just look at layer socks that actually form a sock around your toes rather than painting your toes.

Applier layers are slightly separated from the body, with the tattoo layer closest to the skin and the clothing layer furthest out. So try using the innermost possible layer for appliers. Unfortunately that jacket does not seem to be properly fitted to take layers into account.

• Like 1

Clothing layers are like a coat of paint but they are ever so slightly above the "skin" of the body, so it will clip through a very close-fitting mesh.Β  Additionally the underwear and clothing layers aren't cut out with the body's alpha layer, so if you need to alpha parts that have appliers on them, you'll need to put the applierΒ on the tattoo layer. At least that's the case with the mesh bodies I'm familiar with - dunno if any mesh body-makers have resolved this yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The layers is like an onion.

Even the inner layer sits slightly over the body, it is not true paint.

I have that problem with minidresses. When using underpants, the side string is visible through the dress. I had to get mesh c-strings, because I didn't want to render the crotch area invisible.

Will not mesh baking that LL promise us, solve this annoying problem? The baking will result in only one layer. I can not wait to customize my body. Skin, red pubic hair, freckles, birthmarks, tattoos and lingerie all in one layer. A bunch of layers baked into one texture.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

The Slink body has a checkbox for controlling the masking of various layers. One has to get it right to get skin, tat, underwear, and clothes to look right.

The Slink alpha cuts work as intended. But, not necessarily as we may want for any given situation. A Slink alpha cut hides all layers of the body; skin, tat, underwear, and clothes. Which is generally what I want.

I never see a bra on the underwear layer poke through a clothes layer. That is a matter of how well the body is made. So, if that is part of the issue you are having, you need a better body.

The bra appearing behind the shirt, or not, is a matter of masking. The designers have done the best they can within the SL system. Whether the layer is masking or blending decides what gets shown and hidden. So, Slink has a masking control to change how layers are masked.

Β 

"Applier layers" Are essentially a second, third (or more) copy of your mesh body slightly offset from the previous one, so while theyΒ  are very close to the body they still occupy some amount of physical space. It's a terrible (and irresponsible) solution some mesh body creator are using to solve a problem that hopefully bake on mesh will render obsolete.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to solve the same issue.
I also have aΒ Maitreya body. And even with only a dress, no bra, the dress doesn't cover quite well.Β :(
bug.PNG.89799511e01b8f5f0a63a12e43834ff3.PNG

In some cases it's even worse.
Is there a solution? Or simply give up on any garment that has this problem?

24 minutes ago, khry5 said:

Is there a solution? Or simply give up on any garment that has this problem?

You choices are:
- Use alpha cuts if the body has one/some that will work
- Reduce your size (sometimes even this doesn't work)
- Trash the outfit

I've actually had outfits that fit one one boob and not the other.Β  How does someone manage to create that?Β  It's not like the typical mesh body can have one boob bigger than the other.

Another option might be if your dress package includes rigged sizes (i.e. S/M/L etc.), you can try wearing one of those, adjust your shape to fit the edges of the dress (neckline etc.), then use alpha cuts to hide any remaining cutting.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You choices are:
- Trash the outfit

I've actually had outfits that fit one one boob and not the other.Β  How does someone manage to create that?Β  It's not like the typical mesh body can have one boob bigger than the other.

Not every outfit are built in a symmetrical fashion, so they have to be hand rigged for each side, someΒ  differences will occur.

3 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Not every outfit are built in a symmetrical fashion, so they have to be hand rigged for each side, someΒ  differences will occur.

For dresses that are fully symmetrical, if the creator can't manage to get the rigging even and I have to alpha unevenly, then they end up on my 'never buy from again' list.Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

For dresses that are fully symmetrical, if the creator can't manage to get the rigging even and I have to alpha unevenly, then they end up on my 'never buy from again' list.Β 

Normally if the model is symmetrical you just tick a box in blender and the weightpainting gets mirrored.

I'm saying this because a lot of the times "loose clothes" type outfits have an asymetrical mesh.

Oh and obviously if they use MD it's always going to be asymetrical.

This is a pic that I took of one time I encountered the uneven issue.Β  Though, if I remember right, this one was a "standard size" mesh dress rather than specifically for Maitreya.Β  I don't know enough about creating clothing to know if that makes any real difference in getting the rigging even.Β  Not being a creator and the fact that this dress should theorectically fit the same on both sides, I just don't understand how this happens.

image.png.a4a3a7d08381fb735644bff1e4b1fa1d.png

On 25/05/2018 at 11:20 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

You choices are:
- Trash the outfit

I tried reducing my size. But it didn't worked.
The alpha cuts your referring to hiding some "parts" of the body using the hud? Fot this case it didn't work.
Guess I'll have to trash the outfit. But some I really love them, and can't find a simimlar outfit.
Thought there was some editing it could be done to the outfit.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, khry5 said:

I tried reducing my size. But it didn't worked.
The alpha cuts your referring to hiding some "parts" of the body using the hud? Fot this case it didn't work.
Guess I'll have to trash the outfit. But some I really love them, and can't find a simimlar outfit.
Β 

Been there, done that.Β  This is why I never buy anything anymore that doesn't have a demo and costs more than I'm will to throw away.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2158 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.