Top 10 SL Annoyances/Bugs/Glitches

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1. Grey squares are back. Two even five minutes is not uncommon now to wait for the scene to load upon log-on or teleporting to another sim, especially one with lots of avatars already on it.

2. Huge delay on profiles opening -- you can't pay someone quickly, leading to rage sometimes on their part when they are waiting for a refund. The screen takes FOREVER to turn over, giving you one of those "wheels" and sometimes you crash before it finishes.

3. Lock-ups and crashes with this Nvidia graphics card thing. Why doesn't LL tell you about this?

4. You can't search names in groups. Pasting in someone's full name, even if you know they're in the group, produces "0" results. So you have to go slow -- type just one or two letters. That may not work. So you sort by alphabet and look through the list -- slowly.

5. Often, when you try to access someone's profile, you have to log into SL again to see it *while in the viewer*. That is really damn weird because...you're already logged in.

6. The mesh error is misleading -- it's not about "owner of the group doesn't allow" but mesh bouncing off mesh. Can't the Lindens just change this message?

7. SLURLs clicked on while logged in lead to check for latest version and open up a window -- sometimes lagging or crashing you.

8. When people try to change groups on Firestorm, even if upgraded to another role, they can't, because it is greyed out, forcing them to relog. Oh, you say, that's not the fault of LL, because on the regular viewer, that doesn't happen. But then I will come back to you wish this: why does LL allow on its servers viewers that can't perform standard operations like this? What isn't working/not accessed? Prove to me this is entirely Firestorm's fault, and I'll remove it from the list.

9. Groups don't load -- period. Yes, if you have 1,000 or more members, and/or 500,000 meters of land in a land group, you will have trouble getting the group to load, update, reflect changes, etc. Then...why doesn't LL just say "Look, this is the outer limit of group capacity, don't go over it." But they never do. I solve this problem by making more land groups, but it gets confusing. And I find that even groups with only 250 people and 100,000 meters won't load.

10. You can't log out of SL -- it just won't "let go". When it stops working, and offers you the chance to still view IMs, it just won't exit normally. You have to use the X out on the whole screen -- and that won't work, requiring reclicking a dozen times.

I could add more, but let's stick to the top 10.

If LL cared more about inworld businesses, which rely on all these features managing groups more than most people, they might eliminate some of this.

But their main focus is content creation, and the bugs they fix tend to be related to those or exotic techie things that norms don't care about.

Groups are really overdue for a fix-up. People could always use MORE groups. But before adding MORE capacity to have MORE groups, let's fix groups. Let's make it possible to put land and people in groups and search on their name, not have them lag out, have them be able to change roles if on Firestorm, etc. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

3. Lock-ups and crashes with this Nvidia graphics card thing. Why doesn't LL tell you about this?

Because, officially, LL are not aware that you are too tech-illiterate to RTFM and set up your "nvidia thing" correctly...

5. Often, when you try to access someone's profile, you have to log into SL again to see it *while in the viewer*. That is really damn weird because...you're already logged in.

You might be logged into SL - The World, but NOT into the my.secondlife.com web page, which is where you see WEB profiles rather than in world (legacy) profiles. Blame that on you using LL's  official SL Inferiority Viewer...

6. The mesh error is misleading -- it's not about "owner of the group doesn't allow" but mesh bouncing off mesh. Can't the Lindens just change this message?

The message is NOT wrong, you are, you just don't understand why you are wrong and the message is right, it's been explained to you but since the people who explained were tech savvy, you ignored them as members of the Techno-Commie -Anarchist Conspiracy against St Ayn of Rand...

8. When people try to change groups on Firestorm,

Why do you care what Firestorm does or does not do, you claim that you refuse to use any TPV, but only LL's official SL Inferiority Viewer...

10. You can't log out of SL -- it just won't "let go". When it stops working, and offers you the chance to still view IMs, it just won't exit normally. You have to use the X out on the whole screen -- and that won't work, requiring reclicking a dozen times.

I've seldom had problems logging out of SL with any viewer, but then again, I'm not one of those tech-illiterate people who spam-click the x a dozen times because it takes more than a second or two to close down a viewer after a long login session...

If LL cared more about inworld businesses, which rely on all these features managing groups more than most people, they might eliminate some of this.

They really don't give a rats backside about YOUR business, just their own... Learn to deal with the fact that YOU are not the most important person in SL...

But their main focus is content creation, and the bugs they fix tend to be related to those or exotic techie things that norms don't care about.

Yeah, fancy trying to fix the content creation process that creates the content that the "norms" want to buy. No Creation tools, no creation, no content, no retail business, no items to rez, no land business, no business at all for YOU. Try and keep up with the concept of  "the in-world economy" that makes YOUR business possible at all...

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Because, officially, LL are not aware that you are too tech-illiterate to RTFM and set up your "nvidia thing" correctly...

You might be logged into SL - The World, but NOT into the my.secondlife.com web page, which is where you see WEB profiles rather than in world (legacy) profiles. Blame that on you using LL's  official SL Inferiority Viewer...

The message is NOT wrong, you are, you just don't understand why you are wrong and the message is right, it's been explained to you but since the people who explained were tech savvy, you ignored them as members of the Techno-Commie -Anarchist Conspiracy against St Ayn of Rand...

Why do you care what Firestorm does or does not do, you claim that you refuse to use any TPV, but only LL's official SL Inferiority Viewer...

I've seldom had problems logging out of SL with any viewer, but then again, I'm not one of those tech-illiterate people who spam-click the x a dozen times because it takes more than a second or two to close down a viewer after a long login session...

They really don't give a rats backside about YOUR business, just their own... Learn to deal with the fact that YOU are not the most important person in SL...

Yeah, fancy trying to fix the content creation process that creates the content that the "norms" want to buy. No Creation tools, no creation, no content, no retail business, no items to rez, no land business, no business at all for YOU. Try and keep up with the concept of  "the in-world economy" that makes YOUR business possible at all...

- It's not about "setting NVdia correctly". It's about a bug in their driver that has a hot fix, as Whirly explained in the other thread.

- Um, I *AM* logged into the world, derp. This happens when I access a person's profile FROM INWORLD. Everybody who actually logs into SL more than once in a blue moon is totally aware of this annoyance. It's typical that someone on the forums would deny its existence.

- The message is wrong. That's because I'm the owner of the land AND I have the right group on for that land, yet the dumb message says "The owner of this land does not allow..." because of THE NATURE OF MESH which should evoke a different message.

- I don't care at all what Firestorm does. I'm pointing out an annoyance for my tenants that Firestorm and/or LL should do something about.

- We're not talking about "a second or two". We're talking about five minutes  after ONCE trying to log out the other way and waiting...waiting...waiting...and finally having to force-close the other way -- and also not by one click and waiting...waiting....

- The norms want to buy content AND have their groups and land work. It's not only about rental agents. It's also about club owners and others who need groups. Again, the people who actually log in and use groups, which would not be sandboxing forums-dwellers, get this and complain about it all the time.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

- Um, I *AM* logged into the world, derp. This happens when I access a person's profile FROM INWORLD. Everybody who actually logs into SL more than once in a blue moon is totally aware of this annoyance. It's typical that someone on the forums would deny its existence.

Yes... Derp... You are logged into SL- The World... But that doesn't mean you are logged into SL - The Forum or SL - The Web Profile Feed , or SL - The marketplace as well.

New improved SL uses WEB PROFILES... On SL - The WEB FEED... That is why sometimes it will tell you you are not logged into THE WEB FEED.

16 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

- The message is wrong. That's because I'm the owner of the land AND I have the right group on for that land, yet the dumb message says "The owner of this land does not allow..." because of THE NATURE OF MESH which should evoke a different message.

NO, you are wrong... Because while you might have rezzing rights on YOUR land, Line-Of-Sight from your camera, through the point on the badly made mesh you bought, ends up trying to rez the item on land that either A) you do not own or have rezzing rights on or B) on land that doesn't exist and thus you do not have rezzing rights on. This was explainewd to you.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the "Nature of Mesh". I use a MESH rezzing platform to build on, unlike you, I don't use badly made mesh to build on. 

That you fail to understand is a bug in YOUR in-cranium software, not in the viewers or servers of SL.

21 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Again, the people who actually log in

I love the way you always claim that people who point out the failings in your tech-illiterate mouth-foam are "not real SL users who ever log in" etc., it makes your rants seem so much less plausible...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

1. Grey squares are back. Two even five minutes is not uncommon now to wait for the scene to load upon log-on or teleporting to another sim, especially one with lots of avatars already on it.

On a really busy region you don't have cached, 2 mins for all mesh & textures to load isn't that bad really.
Slow texture load is never going to be fixed for everyone though - if you have a slow connection or lots of packet loss, fetching of uncached textures & mesh can be painfully slow.
Certain antivirus software can cause slow texture load too, both cached & non cached textures. It's always a good idea to whitelist the viewer cache folder in your antivirus software - it make a big difference to the time to load cached textures.
The viewers texture cache is flaky at best & LL are working on improving it - which should help the load times for cached textures in the future.

If you are suddenly experiencing slower texture loading then usual on all regions then it could be your local CDN having issues (out of your control) or a transient connection issue or an antivirus/Firewall issue (possible bad update to said software).

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

2. Huge delay on profiles opening -- you can't pay someone quickly, leading to rage sometimes on their part when they are waiting for a refund. The screen takes FOREVER to turn over, giving you one of those "wheels" and sometimes you crash before it finishes.

Web profiles are horribly slow to open in the viewer. They are even slower since LL moved the viewer web handling over to Dullahan. This gets complained about a lot.
I've never seen the crash though - what happens when you crash? Does the viewer poof to desktop or are you getting disconnected with the View IM/Quit message?

I'm just glad my viewerof choice (Firestorm) still has the option of legacy profiles which load instantly.

Well, it's not LL's bug, it's an Nvidia bug.
If LL made an announcement for every buggy driver release or windows update or antivirus update or other buggy 3rd party software that could cause problems for SL users, there would be multiple announcements daily.

4. You can't search names in groups. Pasting in someone's full name, even if you know they're in the group, produces "0" results. So you have to go slow -- type just one or two letters. That may not work. So you sort by alphabet and look through the list -- slowly.

Are you only seeing this problem in groups with a large number of members?

This is a bug that started with CEF. It used to be worse - there's been a fix for the bug but the fix doesn't work 100% of the time.
I filed a bug report here: BUG-10415 -  [Valhalla] profiles and marketplace are asking for a login each session

Klytna answered this above - the error message is technically correct but I agree that until you understand the cause of the rez error that the error message will seem confusing.

7. SLURLs clicked on while logged in lead to check for latest version and open up a window -- sometimes lagging or crashing you.

Oz said in another thread that this will be fixed soon - basically the SLURL is triggering the SL_Launcher by default, not the viewer exe.
This shouldn't cause a crash though...

8. When people try to change groups on Firestorm, even if upgraded to another role, they can't, because it is greyed out, forcing them to relog. Oh, you say, that's not the fault of LL, because on the regular viewer, that doesn't happen. But then I will come back to you wish this: why does LL allow on its servers viewers that can't perform standard operations like this? What isn't working/not accessed? Prove to me this is entirely Firestorm's fault, and I'll remove it from the list.

You keep bringing up this Firestorm group role change thing that affects your tennants & it isn't a known bug in Firestorm.
Do you want to meet up inworld & we can do some testing? You can take me through the steps that your tennants are having problems with on Firestorm & if I can reproduce it then I can file a Firestorm JIRA & get it fixed.

If LL blocked access to the servers by all viewers that had bugs, then the grid would be empty  ^_^

9. Groups don't load -- period. Yes, if you have 1,000 or more members, and/or 500,000 meters of land in a land group, you will have trouble getting the group to load, update, reflect changes, etc. Then...why doesn't LL just say "Look, this is the outer limit of group capacity, don't go over it." But they never do. I solve this problem by making more land groups, but it gets confusing. And I find that even groups with only 250 people and 100,000 meters won't load.

A 1000 group member list shoould load up without problems, that isn't a huge group, BUT I don't have any groups to test with that hold a large amount of land too.
That could be a bug.
Do you have a group that's affected by this with a large ampunt of land that's open to join?  If so can you give me the name?

Viewer shutdown can be slow after a disconnect yeah.
Sometimes the viewer can hang for a long time when shutting down the mesh repository.
Usually I just force quit via task manager when that happens.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Yes... Derp... You are logged into SL- The World... But that doesn't mean you are logged into SL - The Forum or SL - The Web Profile Feed , or SL - The marketplace as well.

New improved SL uses WEB PROFILES... On SL - The WEB FEED... That is why sometimes it will tell you you are not logged into THE WEB FEED.

NO, you are wrong... Because while you might have rezzing rights on YOUR land, Line-Of-Sight from your camera, through the point on the badly made mesh you bought, ends up trying to rez the item on land that either A) you do not own or have rezzing rights on or B) on land that doesn't exist and thus you do not have rezzing rights on. This was explainewd to you.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the "Nature of Mesh". I use a MESH rezzing platform to build on, unlike you, I don't use badly made mesh to build on. 

That you fail to understand is a bug in YOUR in-cranium software, not in the viewers or servers of SL.

I love the way you always claim that people who point out the failings in your tech-illiterate mouth-foam are "not real SL users who ever log in" etc., it makes your rants seem so much less plausible...

No, you'd know this if you actually logged into SL instead of hanging out on the forums.

The normal behavior is to be able to click on a profile from "search"  or on the avatar himself. Normally, you can always see an avatar's profile -- it pulls up.

But every once in a while, on this or that patch, this behavior glitches up. You stop being able to see a profile normally, and you are forced from inworld to "log on" to SL again in order to see a profile. 

This doesn't persist -- that behavior goes away for awhile...then comes back again. Everyone knows about this and complains about it.

No, the mesh isn't being rezzed on somebody else's law and it's not about line of sight. Some well-made mesh doesn't exhibit this behavior; some badly-made mesh does. Again, everyone knows this who actually works with objects all day and this has been discussed ad nauseum and many comment on this, it's not about your mesh object pulled out of inventory rezzing 65,000 plus meters away on another sim next to your sim on the Mainland that you own. Ridiculous.

I wouldn't need to point out this problem of those who don't log on if I hadn't found an amazing set of facts when I began to research the loudmouths on the forums -- they often use names that in fact are not in the people list *cough*. They may own land, but when you go there, you see their build was made in like 2007 and they have 0 traffic in their "store". They show no evidence of actually being inworld more often than not. Dates of log-ons in their groups also confirm this.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

On a really busy region you don't have cached, 2 mins for all mesh & textures to load isn't that bad really.
Slow texture load is never going to be fixed for everyone though - if you have a slow connection or lots of packet loss, fetching of uncached textures & mesh can be painfully slow.
Certain antivirus software can cause slow texture load too, both cached & non cached textures. It's always a good idea to whitelist the viewer cache folder in your antivirus software - it make a big difference to the time to load cached textures.
The viewers texture cache is flaky at best & LL are working on improving it - which should help the load times for cached textures in the future.

If you are suddenly experiencing slower texture loading then usual on all regions then it could be your local CDN having issues (out of your control) or a transient connection issue or an antivirus/Firewall issue (possible bad update to said software).

Web profiles are horribly slow to open in the viewer. They are even slower since LL moved the viewer web handling over to Dullahan. This gets complained about a lot.
I've never seen the crash though - what happens when you crash? Does the viewer poof to desktop or are you getting disconnected with the View IM/Quit message?

I'm just glad my viewerof choice (Firestorm) still has the option of legacy profiles which load instantly.

Well, it's not LL's bug, it's an Nvidia bug.
If LL made an announcement for every buggy driver release or windows update or antivirus update or other buggy 3rd party software that could cause problems for SL users, there would be multiple announcements daily.

Are you only seeing this problem in groups with a large number of members?

This is a bug that started with CEF. It used to be worse - there's been a fix for the bug but the fix doesn't work 100% of the time.
I filed a bug report here: BUG-10415 -  [Valhalla] profiles and marketplace are asking for a login each session

Klytna answered this above - the error message is technically correct but I agree that until you understand the cause of the rez error that the error message will seem confusing.

Oz said in another thread that this will be fixed soon - basically the SLURL is triggering the SL_Launcher by default, not the viewer exe.
This shouldn't cause a crash though...

You keep bringing up this Firestorm group role change thing that affects your tennants & it isn't a known bug in Firestorm.
Do you want to meet up inworld & we can do some testing? You can take me through the steps that your tennants are having problems with on Firestorm & if I can reproduce it then I can file a Firestorm JIRA & get it fixed.

If LL blocked access to the servers by all viewers that had bugs, then the grid would be empty  ^_^

A 1000 group member list shoould load up without problems, that isn't a huge group, BUT I don't have any groups to test with that hold a large amount of land too.
That could be a bug.
Do you have a group that's affected by this with a large ampunt of land that's open to join?  If so can you give me the name?

Viewer shutdown can be slow after a disconnect yeah.
Sometimes the viewer can hang for a long time when shutting down the mesh repository.
Usually I just force quit via task manager when that happens.

Grey squares were not like this 12 months ago or 6 months ago. I have the same computer and the same graphics card; therefore something else changed. Two minutes is "good" for grey squares, but sometimes it's 15 minutes -- and PS, we had no grey squares  a year ago. It's also not about anti-virus software, as I had the exact same AVG in place a year ago when there were no grey squares that I have now.

The inability to look up a person's name by pasting it into the group search is a problem regardless of size; not finding it even with typing one letter and slow loading is with larger groups.

Re: "I filed a bug report here: BUG-10415 -  [Valhalla] profiles and marketplace are asking for a login each session
Why, thank you! And you might want to break this down to Klytyna who is bellowing some nonsense to me about how I need to log into the web to see a profile. Ridiculous.

What happens when this leads to a crash -- it's more like a freeze/stall with eventual crash or need to force-close SL. You click on a profile to IM or pay a person; you get the round circle as it churns and churns trying to turn over; it then makes the whole screen a kind of transparency; all of SL freezes.

Re: group role changes. The reason I keep bringing this up is because of I see dozens of examples of this every day, and thousands of it over the year, and I'm amazed you can't admit this.  Many people use Firestorm as you know, including my tenants. And they are totally frustrated with this all the time, although most get over it after I ask them to relog. It's hard to schedule a meeting in world. Just join any of my groups. Then if you are online when I am, I'll try adding you to another role and you will INSTANTLY get it.

I don't believe in third-party viewers at all as you know. My point is that this problem should be something Firestorm, in concert with LL, FIXES and not for my sake, because obviously zillions of people have this issue, and not only in rental groups but all kinds of groups.

Any or all of my groups are open to join, just join them and you'll see.

See, you have to use task manager, and that's what I often have to do.

As always, thanks for your thoughtful attention!

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

When you load up a user's profile within the Second Life Client while using Linden Lab's default Client you are - in fact - loading up a web page. This web page requires authorization and authentication that is quite separate from the one you gave when logging into the Grid using the Client and is often stored (once given) in the form of a cookie that the browser inside the Client can check on.

Care to guess what happens if this cookie is not present or is otherwise unreadable for whatever reason?

That's right, you have to log into their web system all over again.

Now that's not too hard a concept to grasp - is it?

To further educate you: Quite a bit can change in the software world - including your Antivirus - in as little as a month, let alone a full year. The same goes for your ISP's data lines, their backbone servers and a whole host of other bits between you and wherever you attempt to pull data from.

Your assertion that texture load issues have not existed over the last year is rather incorrect: They may not have existed for you but you have no way whatsoever of knowing what issues other users may or may not have had over the last year outside of users coming to you with their woes. Outside of your "tenants" this is quite unlikely to happen and thus any claims you make concerning other users coming to you and voicing such issues can be safely tossed aside.

There are common causes for these issues, the most common of which Whirly has covered already. Some of them you can fix and some of them you cannot - Tech Support 101: Narrow the problem down, starting with potential issues and solutions that the end user can solve on their end.

Your assumption that the issue cannot possibly be on your end is - frankly - ridiculous. There is every possibility that the problem is on your end.

We get it: You don't like or trust "techies" and you firmly believe that any problem you have is never your own fault and never on your end/limited to your machine.

Your behavior as it stands shows a clear pattern that only the most patient individuals can put up with. The moment anyone treats you the same way you often treat others, you fly off the deep end. Small wonder there are few people willing to help you these days.

I hear there's a form or two that gets filled out every time someone like you seeks technical support anywhere ....

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 4

On 5/9/2018 at 3:04 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

On 5/9/2018 at 10:31 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

The inability to look up a person's name by pasting it into the group search is a problem regardless of size; not finding it even with typing one letter and slow loading is with larger groups.

Finally got some time to test this.

I joined your Ravenglass Rentals group.
I'm not having any problem loading up the group members list - it takes about 10 seconds - I tested this on the LL viewer.
I wasn't really expecting a problem in loading that groups members list as it's not overly large (just over 1k).

Possibly the problem you are seeing with being unable to find a member name you paste into member search is this:
The LL viewer will not find any results in group member search for Firstname Lastname. You instead need to search for Firstname.Lastname.
eg) Searching for Prokofy Neva returns no results. Searching for Prokofy.Neva works.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Finally got some time to test this.

I joined your Ravenglass Rentals group.
I'm not having any problem loading up the group members list - it takes about 10 seconds - I tested this on the LL viewer.
I wasn't really expecting a problem in loading that groups members list as it's not overly large (just over 1k).

Possibly the problem you are seeing with being unable to find a member name you paste into member search is this:
The LL viewer will not find any results in group member search for Firstname Lastname. You instead need to search for Firstname.Lastname.
eg) Searching for Prokofy Neva returns no results. Searching for Prokofy.Neva works.

Ok, thanks for explaining it.

But it's no excuse. Just because the system requires a wonkier "Prokofy.Neva" with a period to separate first name from last because...it can't understand a space? (?!)...is no reason to allow that behavior. The system should enable you to search for the "wrap" of that name, "Prokofy Neva" when you paste it from *their profile* after all where it does not have a period (in the larger display), or chat, where it does not have a period in any form, or from other scripted objects. 

Systems have to put up more friendly and easier user interface thingies all the time. And this is just basic. Not being able to search in a group because...the system requires you to unintuitively put a period in the middle of the name for its own wonky reasons -- that's just not on. Imagine if Google worked that way, they would never have made any money and would never have fueled the Internet.

Your fast loading could be a function of connection, system, speed, lack of inventory, who knows.

And yes, you would think 1,000 is a nothing for a system to handle, even with land in the group too, which requires more look-ups. 

So I'm glad you're established that the issue is not the inability to load but this other arcane issue which I just view as thoroughly stupid.

Not being able to paste from chat or a profile (from the larger-typeface instead of the smaller with the period that you don't notice first --  or from an object into a group to find a person -- what could be stupider? What could slow down commerce and socializing more!! But the mentality that insists on inflicting every back-end insanity on the user persists.

Yes, the workaround I've used for years is just to type the first few letters of the name and hope that works.

But with the propensity of people to use all kinds of weird fonts and numerals and whatnot in their names, it can be hard to find them unless you can paste. 

Rental box reports, merchants receipts, visitor logs, group joiners -- all these things that people inworld have made and scripted report to you WITHOUT THE PERIOD. And yet you can't paste from them or chat into a group to find a person. "Gasp" they figured out a way to make a "normal-looking name" come out of their chatting product without the period. Think about it.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 3

Whirly has clearly spent time researching the issue and so kindly explained it Prok, and the result, not a dignified thanks, but a long rant about how the LL viewer is stupid.

It's a pattern oft repeated too. For gawd's sake woman, it's not like Whirly wrote the LL viewer.

crazy_cat_lady-large.jpg.b07fc90a4df4b70a83e8d41710eaec8b.jpg

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.