Can this be achieved in Cycles and NOT just Vray?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2170 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

is it POSSIBLE to achieve this in Blender Cycles? or the same texture gloss effect?

I really want to improve in my texture bake quality and this is gorgeous.

PHOTO CREDIT :  Haus of Dolls on Discord . (PUBLIC group)

unknown.png

Personally, I would rather see better use of materials in SL via specular and normal map than baking this onto the texture. When baked the objects may look better in stills, but appear flat and cartoonish in world. This also lends itself to premature aging of the item, the SL render engine isn't set in stone but baked lighting textures are.

I've passed over quite a few purchases recently where objects were baked in such a way.

4 hours ago, Railyni said:

No, it really isn't...

Is it possible to 'bake' pre painted highlights onto a texture in Blunder 3D, almost certainly, is it advisable, hell no!

Painted highlights, especially calculated ones, are too symmetrical, too static and too "painted on" to ever look good, in addition they don't play well with in world rendered highlights from using materials and advanced lighting.

It's 2003 fossil-tech rendering...

Assuming that you like the look -- or why else would you ask :D -- you could get something akin to this pattern in Cycles Render. You would need to make a VERY high poly model with plenty of detail BESIDES the one you would want to upload that would be MUCH lower poly. 

Using the high poly model and a node pattern that includes a glossy shader fed into a mixed shader along with a diffuse shader and VERY VERY CAREFUL LIGHTING you would then bake at a high resolution.  Basically I would think that you would want to treat the fabric "as if" it were metal to achieve a look similar to your screenshot.   

You would then use the texture made with the high poly model on the low poly model. 

Is it EASY?   

Nope LOL.

11 hours ago, Railyni said:

Umm.. strong painted on highlights are not gorgeous. They actually ruin the looks of otherwise nice looking clothes. ¬¬
Personally I try to avoid buying clothes with very strong painted on highlights.

If there are painted on highlights then they should be very subtle, almost unnoticeable.
Then you can add materials and end result will be great looking.
By using materials without any painted on highlights will look great too.

Forget the painted on strong highlights; instead learn to use materials skillfully.

There are designers who use materials excellently, but there are also those who still need to learn how to use them properly.
So there is some learning and experimenting to do on the way to become an expert.

3 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

Umm.. strong painted on highlights are not gorgeous. They actually ruin the looks of otherwise nice looking clothes. ¬¬
Personally I try to avoid buying clothes with very strong painted on highlights.

If there are painted on highlights then they should be very subtle, almost unnoticeable.
Then you can add materials and end result will be great looking.
By using materials without any painted on highlights will look great too.

Forget the painted on strong highlights; instead learn to use materials skillfully.

There are designers who use materials excellently, but there are also those who still need to learn how to use them properly.
So there is some learning and experimenting to do on the way to become an expert.

Well first of all the OP apparently LIKES this look and that is their choice so everyone jumping on the CONCEPT of painted highlights isn't really answering the question.

Second -- only a small portion of those in SL can see materials. Yes, most designers and creators and bloggers can, but plenty of people have a machines that will not RUN settings to see materials.  So relying solely on materials for your effects is IMHO not the best idea. Things might look lovely to you but not to many others - AND the look changes greatly (GREATLY) depending on Windlight (R) settings. So what YOU are seeing has very little relevance to what others or seeing. 

Even designers who in theory use materials correctly cannot make them work for everyone in the same manner as THEY see them.  I doubt the new Windlights coming up will change that issue, but it would be great if they did.

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Second -- only a small portion of those in SL can see materials.

I would be interested to hear where you got that information? Is the information recent and is the source reliable?
Materials came to SL already 5 years ago. How long we should wait for all to catch up?

For example in Firestorm it's possible to turn ALM on with very low graphics settings. Already when "Quality and Speed" slider is between Low and Mid.
Even quite modest computer should be able to run that.
Low-graphics-setting-for-ALM.jpg.03ca98721bc09019c494dca755752352.jpg

23 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Things might look lovely to you but not to many others - AND the look changes greatly (GREATLY) depending on Windlight (R) settings. So what YOU are seeing has very little relevance to what others or seeing.

I do know that. There are even some Windlights (all Windlights for "optimal skin looks" for example), which totally kill material effects and shadows.
But who in their right mind would use those Windlights all the time and thus stare at very cartoonist looking scenery?
Anyway, I mostly dress for myself, I don't care much if there are some who don't see the materials effects on what I wear.

And, my idea was not to encourage the OP to create bad looking clothes with extreme highlighting, in spite of that they might like it.
There is already too much bad content in SL, why to create more similar stuff?
Rather I told that there is a better way to make really good looking clothing.

38 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

I would be interested to hear where you got that information? Is the information recent and is the source reliable?
Materials came to SL already 5 years ago. How long we should wait for all to catch up?

Hands up who turns it off most of the time so SL doesn't feel like running with the handbrake on? I do. It saves me from loading two more textures per fashionista item into my memory... hurray for speedup.

38 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

I do know that. There are even some Windlights (all Windlights for "optimal skin looks" for example), which totally kill material effects and shadows.
But who in their right mind would use those Windlights all the time and thus stare at very cartoonist looking scenery?
Anyway, I mostly dress for myself, I don't care much if there are some who don't see the materials effects on what I wear.

LOL, this hs funny because actually you give the explanation in your next sentance: It is all those "ME! ME! ME! wanna look cool to myself"-folks who only care looking good in their own viewer. You would be surprised how many people consider windlight a cure for bad looks (not realising they still look bad to anyone else who decides to go with local windlight).

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

You would be surprised how many people consider windlight a cure for bad looks (not realising they still look bad to anyone else who decides to go with local windlight).

I've noticed that a lot of fashion shoppers suggest the CalWL Windlight to users. I personally don't like that Windlight. I have pale skin and it just seems to make the skin over-exposed or washed out. I think the other one is Nam's Optimal Skin and Prim. It's a little better I guess but still not quite right. They just feel unnatural to me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

LOL, this his funny because actually you give the explanation in your next sentance: It is all those "ME! ME! ME! wanna look cool to myself"-folks who only care looking good in their own viewer. You would be surprised how many people consider windlight a cure for bad looks (not realising they still look bad to anyone else who decides to go with local windlight).

Hmm...  Is there something inherently bad if we want to see ourselves and others too looking great in our viewer?
It's nothing to do with "me, me me!" Your'e totally wrong in saying so. ¬¬

Windlight is not a cure for bad looks. I almost always use region default Windlight just to see how the owner wanted to the place to look.
I change Windlight sometimes for a specific purpose, like for example when wanting have some special effect on snapshot.

2 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

It's nothing to do with "me, me me!" Your'e totally wrong in saying so. ¬¬

39 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

*shrugs* ... OK

Well Fionalein answered before I did. I actually wasn't going to answer :D since anything I say will not matter to Coby, but in the interest of OTHERS who might be reading this thread, here is some info.

My "people can't use" would have been better stated as "people don't use".  My "can't" was more about practicality than ability. I got my info on "usage" from a viewer dev and of course they could be incorrect. So venturing over to a Third Party Viewer meeting and asking someone might get a more official answer

MEANWHILE --  My curiosity peaked I logged into SL on my notebook. My notebook is fairly hefty as notebooks go but nothing like my two year old but still doing well desktop. My NOTEBOOK has never done anything in SL. The defaults are still the defaults that come when you install the viewer. I only installed FS on the viewer in case of desktop issues.  

When I logged in I went to preferences.  Firestorm had set my setting at mid-high which is still much higher than many (reported) people use to access SL.  Advanced lighting was turned OFF by default even on mid-high.  I did after a few tries manage to turn it on (that little waiting circle appeared a few times; it just didn't want to do it). I tried other check boxes with no issues.  

MY FRAMERATE WENT FROM 40 fps on the beta grid with NO ONE there to 23 when I turned on ALM. 

So, if I was actually going to DO something in SL were there would be like BUILDINGS and PEOPLE and CLUTTER ---  and especially if my graphics card was less hefty than the one in my $900 fairly new notebook -- WHY would I want to turn ALM on just to see materials?

So "that" in part is where I am coming from and why I don't personally like to use materials (that and the awful windlights).

The REAL UNDERLYING POINT of my ongoing argument is that EACH of us has the right to CHOOSE how we want to see the world and how we want to create for it. If the OP likes the look they asked about they have both the ability and the right to make it THEIR WAY, not the method used by someone who trashes their point of view.

I am not trying to change anyone's methods of working, just support CHOICE.

Edited by Chic Aeon
grammar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

The REAL UNDERLYING POINT of my ongoing argument is that EACH of us has the right to CHOOSE how we want to see the world and how we want to create for it. If the OP likes the look they asked about they have both the ability and the right to make it THEIR WAY, not the method used by someone who trashes their point of view.

Well, I have not taken anyone's RIGHT away to view SL in any way they choose to.
Of course everybody is free choose what pleases them.

I was just pointing out that very strong highlights on clothing don't look great and I said there is a better way to do things.
(i.e. use very subtle highlights, then add materials for even more pleasant looks.)

Maybe, I should have added "if you are able to use the feature".
Then this clash of opinions and possible misunderstandings would not have happened. :/

- - - - -
Avatar accessories is a huge business in SL. Why is it so?
Obviously most people want that their avatars look nice. What other reason there would be if not that one?
If they didn't care how their avatar looks then avatar accessories would not be big business.
So in this respect Fionalein's "me, me, me!" reply looks rather odd.
- - - - -

16 hours ago, anna2358 said:

I turn ALM off because I don't want the sea to come up inside my yacht.

My sailboat leaks even if I turn ALM off. But it happens only when sailing fast and when the boat is tilted a lot to one side.
I guess your yacht has invisiprim which hides the water inside the boat (naturally it does so only when ALM is off).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2170 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.