Do you talk to your friends?

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I like having real life conversations! They don’t have to be personal, but stuff in the news, TMZ type stuff is always fun and interesting.

I tend to stay away from “woe is me” types, not because I’m heartless, but what can I do about someone 3000 miles away who is getting evicted tomorrow (why they’re on SL is beyond me). I’d feel bad for rest of the day.

I also tend to stay away from people that are too goofy and non-sequitur. It’s a schtick that gets old really fast.

I tend to be middle of the road, but small talk is a sweet spot because it just can lead to so many things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This may be a stray away from thread topic.. but I'll ask here anyhow!

Does anyone 'carry on' a conversation (with a friend)... using off-line IM's?    Almost constantly/repeatedly.. since can't ever find in-world time together.

I'm got a couple convo's going like that. The friendships are not quite 'close enough' to determine specific times/dates.

2 hours ago, AviNews said:

Does anyone 'carry on' a conversation (with a friend)... using off-line IM's?    Almost constantly/repeatedly.. since can't ever find in-world time together.

I'm got a couple convo's going like that. The friendships are not quite 'close enough' to determine specific times/dates.

I used to, but now I just give out my Discord and Steam name freely, and Skype/Phone to people I really like.

• Like 1

On 17/5/2018 at 2:46 PM, AviNews said:

Does anyone 'carry on' a conversation (with a friend)... using off-line IM's? Almost constantly/repeatedly.. since can't ever find in-world time together.

Yes, like Gadget above.

When I used to be active on IMVU, I had a friend that I met in 2009/2010 and we had been friends doing everything since. We only recently lost communication as we've obviously grown up and went our separate ways. In the future we might log in again but mehh it's just not attractive to me anymore. 

We have each other's phone numbers but we're just so different now and we were quite young playing IMVU together. We are still in the family we joined together but everyone is pretty much spread around. Our adventures were fun but we mainly contact each other through snapchat now as we can't be bothered to download and log in again lol. *le shrug*

I did today, found out some only value me as a cheap shopping guide but do not bother to inform me about deals they found in return, or worse: they want me to do their work for them (yes I can script, but I should still charge you 30$US an hour because it is no fun).

All in all talking to them might not have been a good idea as that will make me unfriend some in the future...

Edited by Fionalein

On 5/17/2018 at 8:46 AM, AviNews said:

That's what sending Notecards is for. you can write little letters back and forth and keep up to date when you are offline at random times.

• Thanks 1

I try to message them as often as I am able, but I dont message each of them every day. Mostly if I have not seen them on for a while, OR if they are in my Circle of friends that I see most often in SL. So I might just message them and see what they are upto etc. Most of the time though it is me that is getting inundated with Messages/ conversations. 

Hi All.

I'm very new to SL. Been active about two weeks and so very green about everything. But I do like chatting about nothing in particular, and I will try to communicate with avatars as I explore the SL world. Sometimes there's no response. Maybe they don't speak English. Sometimes it can be hard work, but sometimes I've had a really good time, and made one or two good friends already.

I also get approached quite often (like in RL!) and I'm happy to chat to anyone. I have two  simple rules, which are no crossover into RL, and no adult stiff. It's way way too early for that!!!

So I think it depends what you want from SL, but I will always say Hi, and see what happens from there. But already I've found that it's not a good idea to friend too many people, and I'm being more selective now.

23 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

But already I've found that it's not a good idea to friend too many people, and I'm being more selective now.

You never really know from a first impression which friends are going to pan out. Better to add everyone and then weed out those you just never interact with.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:18 PM, Alexianna GossipGirl said:

That's what sending Notecards is for. you can write little letters back and forth and keep up to date when you are offline at random times.

I like idea of using NC's... for more than one-line IM's. Altho.. as mentioned... bulk of my acquaintances are in very early stages of getting to know each other (and still don't actually see any of them in-world). Most all is small talk (dating suggestions, etc. at most) so one-line IM is about best.... and besides I know some can be apprehensive of 'opening' things, even if only a NC.  

In the past, when I was involved with a guy that spent much less time in SL than I did and our times didn't match well, we wrote letters to each other on notecards.  It was nice having a notecard waiting for me when I logged in, to catch me up on what he'd been up to.

8 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In the past, when I was involved with a guy that spent much less time in SL than I did and our times didn't match well, we wrote letters to each other on notecards.  It was nice having a notecard waiting for me when I logged in, to catch me up on what he'd been up to.

I do understand that, altho how would you feel about receiving a NC from nearly a total stranger that is attempting to show interest in getting to know YOU? Would you, 1st accept it, 2nd open it, 3rd read it, and (maybe) reply... even if it’s a No Thanks?

1 hour ago, AviNews said:

I do understand that, altho how would you feel about receiving a NC from nearly a total stranger that is attempting to show interest in getting to know YOU? Would you, 1st accept it, 2nd open it, 3rd read it, and (maybe) reply... even if it’s a No Thanks?

I'd definitely accept it and read it.  Might or might not reply, depending on what it said. 

• Like 1

I just ask because I don’t accept all objects that I receive, being LMs, ads, and just things. Do get some spam type things from realtors that I happen to TP into a lot that gets me on their ‘list’. 

Tho, keeping on thread’s topic, I don’t ever recall receiving a NC from any ‘level’ of friend. I might need to recognize the sender before accepting.

There was one spam list I got onto that was a real pain to get stopped (wazza noob back then!). Think I ended up just blocking them. 

I just had to block someone from my list...

He contacted me out of a photo group..totally out of the blue, wanting to collaborate...so far so good. Now I accept him and tell him it will take a while or two or 5 cos I´m still in the mesh head-research phase, RL is wild these weeks and my inventory needs to be sorted or..much more progress needs to be done before I can focus on shootings and REALLY feel creative again (it helps my creativity if my dropbox inspires me... I need to see what I´ve got to work with it...). Then he asked ...BEGGED me to tp him somewhere cos he was so horny working at a stripclub and the female patrons hitting on him. Ah well, after an hour of discussion or so I tp him to an amusement park but still having to play friggin tour guide for him. 

NO input at all from him... NOTHING... after a VERY draining 30 mins or so I excuse myself - it was bedtime anyways...

Today I wanted to pay rent, check on stuff and MAAAAYBE... later take some pics after missing another breakfast (I was ill, my Laptop broke, only my desktop PC atm, I´m with my BF every 2 weekends and had some costuming events for the new StarWars Movie...hence I wasn´t on SL XD) and he starts to beg to tp him again... starts to try to discuss again... NOPE...never again. This feeling of sincere discomfort crept up my throat instantly... I´m WAAAY too introvert to be a tour guide and single entertainer. I can start chaos here, in groupchats or gatherings, love to hangout with ppl who not only suck up the energy but give some feedback, ANYTHING back so you can have a mutual conversation.... but this... NOPE....

• Like 1

Hate to say.. and biting my tongue at giving out details..... SO best to just say   * BE THAR, DONE DAT*   O.o 

I had some wild, never imagined as possible Friending/partnering experiences here in-world. (Maybe of few  RL onez too, tho, Oh GEEZ!)

So can say.... "Got the T-shirt & Ballcap.... and BURNT 'em both"

Edited by AviNews
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, AviNews said:

I just ask because I don’t accept all objects that I receive, being LMs, ads, and just things.

My firestorm is set to auto-accept everything so I don't accidentally refuse something I want.  Nothing can hurt me directly from inventory and I definitely don't open all objects that I receive.  However, notecards are not harmful in any way, so I typically will open and at least glance at all of them.

On 5/26/2018 at 8:13 PM, AviNews said:

I have had this very thing happen twice in the recent past.  I read them both and replied to them both. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I have had this very thing happen twice in the recent past.  I read them both and replied to them both. 

HEY! So glad to hear that you did.. as I was wondering.. am going to need to try it then, see how things work out.

(GEEZ.. it can be ROUGH bein' SLingle at timez 'round this place!! (maybe I should start a BLOG of all my experinces… ya'dink?!)….. NAH! Doubt IT!    :o

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.