BlackHeaven1983

How do you setup a camera roll/tumble?

Question

When I ask how to camera roll, I'm asking how to take a side-ways picture/snapshot.  How can you Roll/Tumble/Rotate the camera so you can view the world upside-down?  I have found little-to-no info on this.  And it's surprising how difficult it is to setup. 

Here's what i've found out with firestorm:  --1st-- You must turn off Auto Leveling (which prevents camera roll).  That can be found in the phototools.   --2nd-- By enabling 3D mouse it is possible to do a camera roll (using a 3d mouse or xbox controller), but you might have issues with the camera moving in other directions too.  So controlling it properly can be iffy.  --3rd-- Some people can do a camera roll by holding ALT and using the scroll-wheel or click-dragging..  Which is what I want, but I haven't been able to make it work.  I have two friends that say it worked for them by default.  And I found 1 image online that showed that same keyboard shortcut, but again it's NEVER worked for me. 

So does anyone know how to setup camera rolling/tumbling with a mouse and keyboard??

Edited by BlackHeaven1983

10 answers to this question

I have 3D mouse (3dconnextion).. I just click it’s left button... and I’m in Flycam mode, auto-level off and everything. I use it often, there are adjustments but I hadn’t changed them recently, am just going with defaults. ESC takes me back to my default Cam position. 

Adjustment is touchy, I use it more when creating but thought it would be handy for avi movements too. Flycam is definitely the best for leisure/shopping. Movement is not so... due to tedious adjustments to get it right.

It wasn’t too expensive, I like it. Have used alt-click/drag, but that’s limited in movement range. 

Edited by AviNews

As I stated, I've learned how to do it with an xbox controller and 3D Mouse already.  But the controls aren't precise, and it requires going into Flycam Mode which kills your default cam controls. 

I have two friends (pro SL photographers) that can do camera rolling with only thier mouse and keyboard, and it doesn't require Flycam Mode.  However, they both claim it was just LIKE that for them.  They use firestorm and said they didn't do anything special to set it up.  But I really want that feature to work for me too. 

Any advise is appreciated.

I think, but unsure, there may be a FS preference settings for alt-click features. I’m not a photog, will attempt some keyboard maneuvers just to see if I can get them to work as you describe (more controlled).

Since you specified photos rather than video, wouldn't it be easier all around to simply take the picture, and then rotate it in Photoshop (or your favorite image editing program)?

Or am I missing something here?

@ Lindal Kidd   Yes it's possible to do that if you take a zoomed out snapshot, but you will have to crop 50% of the image.  And for a photographer, that's a huge reduction in quality.  Not to mention, it's far better to be able to see HOW it looks rotated from that angle, without doing guess-work between the Raw Shot and Post Editing.

8 minutes ago, BlackHeaven1983 said:

@ Lindal Kidd   Yes it's possible to do that if you take a zoomed out snapshot, but you will have to crop 50% of the image.  And for a photographer, that's a huge reduction in quality.  Not to mention, it's far better to be able to see HOW it looks rotated from that angle, without doing guess-work between the Raw Shot and Post Editing.

Take a custom size photo then.  If it is square, you can rotate it any which way and not crop.

This question has not been answered yet.  I don't mean to be rude, but post-editing has nothing to do with the question.  I'm well aware of high res images and how to use photoshop.  There is a WAY to do this inworld with the camera, so if there's advice on how to do that, then please let me know.  Thank you.

So.. I'm believing that you want to 'roll' the WHOLE frame of screen, hence similar to turning the camera sideways (like below... btw I could continue to upside down also)

I have not found a keyboard way to accomplish this... only with Flycam and Auto-leveling disabled. Soooooo... I'm finding the 'same' results you've had. I'll keep looking... later... and let you know if I come up with anything. (I do have FS)

Capture.PNG

Edited by AviNews