Bento Elf Ears...Is This Necessary?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2153 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I have a couple of questions about elf ears.

1)  Bento elf ears.  Are they really necessary?  And, if so, why? 

2)  How do I set the elf ears I am making to allow move, stretch, rotate but no access to modify the textures?  Do I check no modify plus anyone can move?  I was also wondering what the physical is for on the edit menu (objects area).  I was wondering if that keeps your textures hidden but still allows move, rotate, stretch?  

Edited by FairreLilette
mis-spelling

Yes they are, because... (well nope but some might like them anyway)

They will allow people to control them with sliders and animate them with custom animations ... (Earcopter anyone? Where is the earcopter??? )

Bento is fitmesh, be prepared to rig the same ears to different brands (and even models, hell yeah - joy of joys) of popular mesh heads...

Edited by Fionalein

Well, I can see if you want ears to wiggle but animation could work on a Classic avatar too.  

Okay, I'm making non-animated elf ears, are these going to work on all types of avatars?  Fit-wise, I mean?

I guess I need some Bento head demos.  

Yay!  NOT!  More testing.  I've been through a lot of testing with hands recently.  It's nuts!  lol  

p.s. I already tested ears with a Bento AO and the ears move fine.  I thought it might be the Bento AO might make the ears move weird if not Bento ears.  As far as I can tell that is not the case.  I need to demo Bento AO with a Bento head and the ears now. 

Update:  Demoed Bento head and ears, and the ears do not fit in the same area.  As the ears are now (the way I have them made) they could only work with Bento heads with long hair which would cover where the ear and head meet.  The alpha to mask the ears for the Classic does not work with the Bento head either.

Then, the elf ears I have are for Classic avs.  I'm disappointed.    

Edited by FairreLilette
acquired more information

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

Well, I can see if you want ears to wiggle but animation could work on a Classic avatar too. 

There are ways to animate standard mesh but generally they are not nearly as good as Bento. In fact, Oz once more or less said sright out that the main reason why they started the Bento project in the first place was to get rid of all those laggy hacks content creators were using to simulate animated body parts and attachments.

However, I think there is a misunderstanding here. the classic avatar is fully rigged rigged for Bento, it just doesn't have any parts that actually uses those extra bones. If you rig you ears to the Bento skeleton bones, they will work just fine on a classic avatar with no other Bento attachments.

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

Okay, I'm making non-animated elf ears, are these going to work on all types of avatars?  Fit-wise, I mean?

With fitted mesh, Bento or not, you can not change its position relative to the system body after upload. That means you need to make separate versions for each Bento head you want it to be compatible with to compensate for the changes they make to the overall head size. For soemthing like this it should only be a question of some minor repositioning though so hopefully it's not too much work.

3 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

2)  How do I set the elf ears I am making to allow move, stretch, rotate but no access to modify the textures?

You can't...

Do I check no modify plus anyone can move?

Only if you plan to drop a pair on the ground and let strangers kick them around like a football...

I was also wondering what the physical is for on the edit menu

It to make sure they roll down hill when dropped on the ground and kicked around like a football...

I was wondering if that keeps your textures hidden but still allows move, rotate, stretch?

No.

The ONLY way a customer can move and resize non-rigged mesh ears, with NO access to the textures is if you set them NO MODIFY, and add some nice laggy script with a resize/position Menu. Also, You'll need a texture/colour script, paired with a hud probably, so the ears can be retextured and colour tinted to match peoples skin tones.

Just leave them Copy/MOD/NoTrans, it makes life easier for everyone and improves sales.

5 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

1)  Bento elf ears.  Are they really necessary?  And, if so, why?

Sure, there is good control on the size from the body adjust sliders. Nicer than attached with a resize script, but of course you need to rig them for each popular head.

And as an extra bonus, when the elf sticks his head out the car window his long pointy ears can waggle in the wind! (ok, I am joking there)

5 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

2)  How do I set the elf ears I am making to allow move, stretch, rotate but no access to modify the textures?

Make them bento? Otherwise don't do it. You are talking about creating something that will be someone's body part. Why restrict them? If they want to put on a purple flat texture, more power to them.

Look at other body part suppliers most even include dekits with shadowmaps to make your own  textures... If your competitors include them you might end up with less sales.

Edited by Fionalein

Disclosure:  I don't own a Bento head so it's all new to me.  But yeah, the ears need major adjusting for fit on the head I demoed.  

Regarding the copy and modify question:  Most of my items are copy/modify.  The ears are going to have many different adornments, and, could be a bit tricky to alter.  Such as, if you change the color, all the earrings could change as well if you aren't paying attention to the edit linked and what you are tinting.  But, for the most part, it is best to leave copy/modify because I do not use those resizer scripts in my creations nor like them myself.  I also wanted my first ears to be colors only, not skin tones.  I don't intend to include an RGB with skin tone presents or anything like that, as these are colored ears.  Skin tone ears may come later.  

Thanks for all your help and advice!  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2153 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.