Is there any place where silly behavior is at least tolerated?

MadameLovelybuns

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Sorry if this is in the wrong place...

I love being silly with stuff I have in second life. I have guns that shoot cookies, beds that spin around or fly when you sit on them, huds that let you stand on peoples heads and follow them, and the list goes on. For some reason, people have became upset over my use of silly things, and some have even threatened to report me for griefing. I have no intention to harm anyone or make peoples experiences in SL worse.

So I am asking...are there any places that won't get mad at me for using my goofy items?

19 answers to this question

On 5/5/2018 at 10:22 PM, MadameLovelybuns said:

So I am asking...are there any places that won't get mad at me for using my goofy items?

Your last sentence indicates why you are getting in trouble. The people you are pranking are RL people. Are there any places anywhere in RL or SL where everyone is the same and there just for your personal enjoyment?

You may need to think about how you see the RL world and think about SL.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MadameLovelybuns said:

Sorry if this is in the wrong place...

I love being silly with stuff I have in second life. I have guns that shoot cookies, beds that spin around or fly when you sit on them, huds that let you stand on peoples heads and follow them, and the list goes on. For some reason, people have became upset over my use of silly things, and some have even threatened to report me for griefing. I have no intention to harm anyone or make peoples experiences in SL worse.

thats no silly stuff, that is childish, annoying and irritating griefing behaviour, and indeed Reportable.

Better stop that without delay or you'll find your account locked very soon.

Buy yourself a parcel or sim and go play with your friends there.

I don't entirely agree with Ethan on this one.  I have a lot of gag items too.  The thing is, there is no "place" where goofing around with these is always tolerated.  The key is not WHERE you are, but WHO you play with and HOW you do it.  These things can be hilarious, if you use them with friends and with their knowledge.  Spring them on strangers and you're a griefer.  Use them to play around with your pals and you're the life of the party.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I have lost count of the number of silly things that I have created and scripted for my own enjoyment and to share with friends.  Over the years, I have sold or given away many of them, presumably to other people who share my sense of humor.  However, I would never consider springing them on random people in a public place or on land that I did not own or use with a group. To use Ethan's words, that would be "childish, annoying and irritating griefing behavior."

My good friend Maddy, who may stop by here to add her own comment, gets a kick out of setting people on fire.  (Don't ask.   It's her thing.)  She has photos of several dozen of us that she has immolated in her home over the years.  It's a badge of honor to be in that photo album.  Quite silly, but not in a public area on strangers.

• Like 3

Lindal and Rolig have explained it pretty well. There's a time and a place for silly behavior. With some effort, you can relax both of those constraints.  But that's the catch. If you put no effort into endearing yourself and your behavior to those around you, it's not silliness is it? It's self indulgence at the expense of others. It's no wonder people become upset.

It's not necessary to cultivate a circle of friends with a particular penchant for silliness, everyone has the capacity to enjoy it. It's your job to make the things you enjoy (not only silliness) pleasurable for those you want to do them with. It really is both that simple, and that hard.

As for the rogue's gallery of friends I've incinerated over the years, I'm gratified to hear Rolig describe membership as a "badge of honor". That gallery is my proudest achievement in SL because there isn't a single person in it who hasn't had a grin on their face while being consumed by the flames. I can't make myself happy by being silly. I make myself happy by making other people happy with my silliness.

5aef11ef40f9c_WarmWelcomes.thumb.jpeg.6c07a5093f4435ac932495492a554c56.jpeg

BTW, both Lindal and Rolig are in my Warm Welcomes gallery... and I'm smiling just thinking about it.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Lindal and Rolig have explained it pretty well. There's a time and a place for silly behavior. With some effort, you can relax both of those constraints.  But that's the catch. If you put no effort into endearing yourself and your behavior to those around you, it's not silliness is it? It's self indulgence at the expense of others. It's no wonder people become upset.

It's not necessary to cultivate a circle of friends with a particular penchant for silliness, everyone has the capacity to enjoy it. It's your job to make the things you enjoy (not only silliness) pleasurable for those you want to do them with. It's really is both that simple, and that hard.

As for the rogue's gallery of friends I've incinerated over the years, I'm gratified to hear Rolig describe membership as a "badge of honor". That gallery is my proudest achievement in SL because there isn't a single person in it who hasn't had a grin on their face while being consumed by the flames. I can't make myself happy by being silly. I make myself happy by making other people happy with my silliness.BTW, both Lindal and Rolig are in my Warm Welcomes gallery... and I'm smiling just thinking about it.

I wasn't grinning.

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

As for the rogue's gallery of friends I've incinerated over the years, I'm gratified to hear Rolig describe membership as a "badge of honor". That gallery is my proudest achievement in SL because there isn't a single person in it who hasn't had a grin on their face while being consumed by the flames. I can't make myself happy by being silly. I make myself happy by making other people happy with my silliness.

There are a lot of things I missed out on during my earlier SL years.

I like fun people, people who will see that pile of walking frames and mobility scooters outside the local golden oldies, 70's rock club - snaffle them and turn them into a giant slalom course.

The advice has been given above, and it can't be bettered, so I will just echo there are way too many people in SL with broom sticks inserted in their nether regions.

We just have to accept they are grumpy so-and-so's and stay off their lawns.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2018 at 10:33 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

It's not necessary to cultivate a circle of friends with a particular penchant for silliness, everyone has the capacity to enjoy it. It's your job to make the things you enjoy (not only silliness) pleasurable for those you want to do them with. It really is both that simple, and that hard.

5aef11ef40f9c_WarmWelcomes.thumb.jpeg.6c07a5093f4435ac932495492a554c56.jpeg

BTW, both Lindal and Rolig are in my Warm Welcomes gallery... and I'm smiling just thinking about it.

I was never fortunate enough to make that list... :(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.