Inventory Taking Well Over an Hour To Load Last Night

Kascha Matova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ugh! I need to learn to keep my big mouth shut. Just when I was praising the newest viewer for solving most of my texture loading and fps problems leading to a silky smooth experience the night before last, last night I get on and in no less than an hour of being in-world, my inventory never ever finished loading.

I could not ever get my pants to rez, no matter how much I flew up, despite character testing three times, clearing cache, dancing back and forth between appearance mode and regular mode, etc. Never loaded. I even did the RenderUnloadedAvatar = true switch, which got rid of the cloud really fast, but then even though the rest of the world had fully rezzed, and so had my whole outfit, as soon as I went to change pants, the area went brown, gray, etc. and new pants never loaded.

So essentially I may have been nude to some degree standing in various meadows for 2+ hours.

Was anyone else having similar problems last night or is this just another personal tale of mine? :smileysad:

Kascha Matova wrote:

Ugh! I need to learn to keep my big mouth shut. Just when I was praising the newest viewer for solving most of my texture loading and fps problems leading to a silky smooth experience the night before last, last night I get on and in no less than an hour of being in-world, my inventory never ever finished loading.

I could not ever get my pants to rez, no matter how much I flew up, despite character testing three times, clearing cache, dancing back and forth between appearance mode and regular mode, etc. Never loaded. I even did the RenderUnloadedAvatar = true switch, which got rid of the cloud really fast, but then even though the rest of the world had fully rezzed, and so had my whole outfit, as soon as I went to change pants, the area went brown, gray, etc. and new pants never loaded.

So essentially I may have been nude to some degree standing in various meadows for 2+ hours.

Was anyone else having similar problems last night or is this just another personal tale of mine? :smileysad:

SL was bad all weekend for me ,seems to be getting worse too.

btw RenderUnloadedAvatar = true does exactly what it says. you may well have been naked, seminaked or ruthed to others.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Kascha Matova wrote:

SL was bad all weekend for me ,seems to be getting worse too.

btw RenderUnloadedAvatar = true does exactly what it says. you may well have been naked, seminaked or ruthed to others.

Okay so it wasn't just me and I can rule out individual connection problems. From what I remember the inventory servers are separate from the sim servers (please correct me if I'm wrong) so I guess I should recognize the significance of how fast the world was loading.

It was funny though. When I did have that switch on my avie's outfit came up almost instantly. That is, I could see it was completely there. It's rather unnerving to realize that that means nothing where the rest of the world's view is concerned. How do we ever know what we look like to others then? Depend totally on their courtesy and hope someone will say something?

Subpar :womanmad:

There is a number of things you can do. Some work at different times. I'm sure which works has to do with how SL is behaving at the time.

Some old bugs have come back. Regression testing is supposed to catch them. But, unless you have done real regression testing you can't imagine how absolutely mind numbing it can be. Nor can one imagine the scope of regression testing needed for SL. There are 500+ fixes for mesh, 25,000+ for the viewer, and I have no idea how many for the server. Each of those items would need to be retested... not gonna happen is my bet.

The avatar-no-rez problem is an old problem. This seems to be the one that is cured by changing groups... I have  no idea why that works. But, I have personally seen it work.

My long list of fixes and attempted explanations for what is happening in some cases is at: Avatar Render Problems: Ghost Cloud Smoke Ball Ruth Look through it and see if there is something you have not tried. I play with a dozen or so viewers all installed and play on Sl and OSGrid. So, I wrote from a different perspective than the Lindens and different viewer developers.

I have also found that a viewer problem can carry over from session to session if the computer is not restarted. And heaven help you if you play Facebook games and then log into SL. That can result in odd happenings.

Clothes not rezzing properly usually indicate some sort of connection issue. Especially if you see yourself fully clothed but others see you naked. The issue does not necessarily have to be on your end of things, but if it is, it is easy to find out.

• Run the http://www.pingtest.net/ test a few times to check your connection.
  • Unplug your modem and router for a minute or so, plug back in and wait for a connection to establish before logging in again.
  • Check your packet loss in the performance panel and reduce the Max bandwidth if the number is more or less constantly above 0.0%.

If any of these were the issue, though, I would imagine you would have issues with texture rezzing as well as inventory issues, so this may not be it.

- Luc -

Luc Starsider wrote:

Clothes not rezzing properly usually indicate some sort of connection issue. Especially if you see yourself fully clothed but others see you naked. The issue does not necessarily have to be on your end of things, but if it is, it is easy to find out.

• Run the
    test a few times to check your connection.
  • Unplug your modem and router for a minute or so, plug back in and wait for a connection to establish before logging in again.
  • Check your packet loss in the performance panel and reduce the Max bandwidth if the number is more or less constantly above 0.0%.

If any of these were the issue, though, I would imagine you would have issues with texture rezzing as well as inventory issues, so this may not be it.

- Luc -

Oh, pingtest is not kind to me - trust me. It gives me an F every time. Damn TimeWarnerCable for their garbage infrastructure and damn AT&T for putting their customers last. If AT&T would just give me the 6MB connection at my new place that I had at my old one, we'd be done with this. But no - 3Mbps for only $5 less dollars a month than my old 6Mbps connection. Ridiculous - 0% packet loss on pingtest or no.

And RoadRunner - what a joke. 59-85% packet loss to a server 10 miles away from here. Pathetic. Complaints and nothing ever gets done. They keep sending the same idiots to my house who can do nothing but change the modem when the problem is an in-neighborhood infrastructure issue.

So I know about that. But then why does the rest of the world load so fast? Why is there no problem at all with any of the 1.x clients I have? I mean none. They all load instantly, no packet loss, no clothes changing problems, nothing. It's only with version 2 clients.

Personally I don't think multiple clothing and tattoo layers are sufficiently stable in the code. 1.x doesn't allow them (which sucks) but with their absence comes absence of all these clothing issues as well.

Kascha Matova wrote:

Oh, pingtest is not kind to me - trust me. It gives me an F every time.

I have a vague memory of you saying this in another thread a while back? Could be wrong, though. 

If you get an F on the tests, I think that might play a part in the slow loading, although it is, as you say, strange that the rest of SL loads fast and the v. 1.x viewers work without problems. There are some differences in how viewers 1.x and 2.x loads inventory - I don't quite know what - which may give you different experiences. Did you try any TPV's? Kirstens latest and Firestorm (If that is what it is called) is based on v. 2.x and should have both multi vearables, tattoo layers and outfits. (And is probably getting physics layers soon) Perhaps one of them work better?

Kascha Matova wrote:

And RoadRunner - what a joke. 59-85% packet loss to a server 10 miles away from here. Pathetic. Complaints and nothing ever gets done. They keep sending the same idiots to my house who can do nothing but change the modem when the problem is an in-neighborhood infrastructure issue.

OUCH!!! That is some serious packet loss. Truly pathetic.

I actually had a somewhat similar experience at my old place, where I would lose connection for a day or two at a time. The first time, a technician came along and found nothing wrong at our place, and also confirmed that something were wrong in the neighbourhood infrastructure. The following times, I called the company telling them exactly what the first technician told me, but still they insisted on sending a new tecnician - who then came and found nothing wrong.... Nothing happend to the actual error, and I moved from there soon after.

I'm sorry to say, I'm running out of ideas of what to try to help with your issue. One thing you could try is to connect through a different internet connection - if you have the chance to do that - if for no other reason than to pinpoint the connection as the culprit or to exclude it.

- Luc -

Luc Starsider wrote:

Kascha Matova wrote:

Oh, pingtest is not kind to me - trust me. It gives me an F every time.

I have a vague memory of you saying this in another thread a while back? Could be wrong, though. 

If you get an F on the tests, I think that might play a part in the slow loading, although it is, as you say, strange that the rest of SL loads fast and the v. 1.x viewers work without problems. There are some differences in how viewers 1.x and 2.x loads inventory - I don't quite know what - which may give you different experiences. Did you try any TPV's? Kirstens latest and Firestorm (If that is what it is called) is based on v. 2.x and should have both multi vearables, tattoo layers and outfits. (And is probably getting physics layers soon) Perhaps one of them work better?

Kascha Matova wrote:

OUCH!!! That is some serious packet loss. Truly pathetic.

I actually had a somewhat similar experience at my old place, where I would lose connection for a day or two at a time. The first time, a technician came along and found nothing wrong at our place, and also confirmed that something were wrong in the neighbourhood infrastructure. The following times, I called the company telling them exactly what the first technician told me, but still they insisted on sending a new tecnician - who then came and found nothing wrong.... Nothing happend to the actual error, and I moved from there soon after.

I'm sorry to say, I'm running out of ideas of what to try to help with your issue. One thing you could try is to connect through a different internet connection - if you have the chance to do that - if for no other reason than to pinpoint the connection as the culprit or to exclude it.

- Luc -

Thanks Luc. Your technician story sounds just like mine. TWC has no intentions of doing anything about this. They know that the only other broadband provider in my area is AT&T and they only have 3Mbps speed at maximum. I had that too (long story) but canceled it because I was bait and switched. While it was on, I had a perfectly stable connection with 0% packet loss at all times. SL ran a lot better. But stuff that never buffered on my previous 6Mbps connection was buffering on 3Mbps. And I was only paying $5 less for half the bandwidth. I hate AT&T.

When I asked the billing woman if that makes sense to her, she says yes, because the level below mine is $5 less than mine. So I'm like okay, if I charge you $15 for half of a whole pizza that normally costs $20, do I have a sale? Do you know what this buffoon actually says?! "AT&T is a phone company, we don't sell pizza".

And because AT&T is there, FIOS will never arrive. Someone needs to do something about these companies. And soon. They are abusing their privileges and need to be dealt with.

As for the TPVs, I've got both Kirstens and Firestorm. Kirstens has worked okay at times. Always better than SL official, and always better than Firestorm, but it gets blown away by Ascent, Singularity and Cool VL, all based on 1.x. Firestorm I can't even say what's going on with that or whether it's really doing better than SL official or not.

Speedwise, the new SL official runs fine. It just won't allow me to change my clothes. I can change hair fine. haven't tried shoes. Scripts work because my AO still works and I can tilt my sunglasses up or wear them normally. But I can't change my toenail colors, which are part of the shoes script.

I just don't get it. I've tried so many viewers now and settings too and had so many various and random behaviors at so many different sims that I can't establish any pattern of behavior anymore. The only thing I can say is that no matter how the connection is, what sim I'm on, what I'm wearing, etc. the 1.x viewers could care less and work fine throughout.

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

I don't know the exact details, but one thing that has been introduced was a new way of serving assets, which made use of the Amazon Cloud. And, a week ago, part of the Amazon Cloud had major problems. But whether SL uses the affected Amazon service, I don't know.

Hi, the Amazon disaster did affect SL, but it was the web profile system that took the hit. The assets are on a simpler storage service and escaped.

I feel your pain regarding the broadband service and the providers. Customer service is a skill not mastered, and frequently misunderstood, by so many businesses it's not even funny. In my opinion, a rep like the one you talked to should not be allowed to have customer contact, but as long as the managers are clueless to what customer service is and approve responses - which they seem to - like that, there is little chance that things will change. I could go on for days talking about this, but I better not. :)

I really am very lucky, and don't have much to complain about. My story above is the exception, and my current broadband service - through the biggest provider where I live - is excellent. They take their role as market leader seriously and provide great customer service (so far) and great products at pretty good prices. My biggest gripe is that I have an 8mbps line, and live too far from the sentral to get their 25mbps line (which would cost me slightly less than what I currently pay). This, though, is more of a childish 'all my friends have 25mbps, so I want it too' kind of thing.

What Wolf said - assets being served differently - probably explains the differences you see between v. 1.x and 2.x viewers. It's an area I know nothing about, but it makes sence. Your best bet ATM seems to be to stick with v. 1.x based viewers and cross your fingers that the other things will sort themself out. :o

- Luc -

Cerise wrote:

Hi, the Amazon disaster did affect SL, but it was the web profile system that took the hit. The assets are on a simpler storage service and escaped.

I imagine this causing some frantic activity among some of the Lindens until they found out what was going on; Just a short while before they released and announced some changes to privacy settings for profiles. Everything worked for a few hours and then suddenly profiles was unaccessible...

- Luc -

Kascha Matova wrote:

So I know about that. But then why does the rest of the world load so fast? Why is there no problem at all with any of the 1.x clients I have? I mean none. They all load instantly, no packet loss, no clothes changing problems, nothing. It's only with version 2 clients.

Personally I don't think multiple clothing and tattoo layers are sufficiently stable in the code. 1.x doesn't allow them (which sucks) but with their absence comes absence of all these clothing issues as well.

With such a bad connection, there's no much room for criticism of "stability" of clothing and tattoo code. 

You'll need a more stable internet connection to use Second Life.

Opensource Obscure wrote:

Kascha Matova wrote:

With such a bad connection, there's no much room for criticism of "stability" of clothing and tattoo code. 

You'll need a more stable internet connection to use Second Life.

Actually, there is, since for one thing I only have the issue in 2.x viewers, and for another there is a standing issue in JIRA regarding inability to read UUIDs of avatar assets such as clothing and other worn attachments which causes them to either not appear when worn or to be incapable of being removed when they do show up. Much of which was and is happening to me, and all of which was contributing to the belief that something was seriously wrong that had nothing to do with my end.

This issue has been JIRA'd and unresolved since February. I returned to in-world activity in mid-March, experiencing few problems until I upgraded to the 2.x viewer code. If there are UUID identification errors and problems with HTTP Texture GET, multiple attachments and clothing layers are going to exacerbate the problem by creating more timeouts waiting for textures to load, and are probably increasing the rez time of my avie significantly. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.