Removing Demo skins on Altamura body face

Elfina01

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've watched several videos, read blogs on Altamura skin layers, makeup applications and nothing really explains what to do or how to apply. I'm lost. Completely clueless. I made a mistake on my body the other day by taking it off and then reapplying that affected my appearance. From skin tone to ring around the neck. I got as much of that fixed as I could and grab a demo on skin thinking this would fix the ring around my neck. But now I'm unable able to take it off. I really enjoy second life but have no concept of how to apply my makeup....skins nothing. At this point I'm ready to quite because there's no real instructions for me to follow.  

4 answers to this question

I'm not familiar with the Altamura heads, and I'm not sure what body you're using.  But here are some general comments:

Let's start with the "classic" avatar.  This is the avatar body that is a basic feature of ALL avatars, even if we don't want to see it at all and hide it with an alpha mask.  Classic skins, the ones that have a "skin" symbol in your inventory, are textures that are applied to this body using the Wear command.  There are four items...skin, shape, eyes, and system hair (or "baldie" as they are often called) that MUST be worn at all times.  They are the minimum items to define an avatar.  You can't actually take off any of these "Essential Four", but you can replace any of them by wearing another item of the same type.

Next:  Mesh body parts.  These generally break down into body, feet, hands, and head.  Most mesh bodies come with separate feet and hands, but no head.  You can wear the feet and hands that come with your body, or you can wear some other creator's feet or hands.  Mesh bodies also come with an "alpha mask" item.  This is a special kind of clothing layer that you wear to hide your classic avatar body while you are wearing the mesh body like a sort of rubber suit.  Alpha masks also come with other mesh body parts (and with mesh clothes, for use when wearing the mesh clothes with a classic body.)  You can wear more than one alpha mask by using the ADD command, instead of Wear.

Mesh body parts often come with a "blending" feature.  The ring you're seeing around your neck is probably associated with that.  Because there is sometimes not a perfect match between body and head, or hand and wrist, these blending layers help to hide the seam.  If you do have a perfect match, both in physical size and skin texture, you don't need to use the blending feature.

Because mesh body parts are 3D objects that are attached to your avatar, and not the classic avatar body itself, classic skins and clothing layers don't work on them.  However, there are two types of HUD controls that can affect the skin of a mesh body part.  One is the main HUD that comes with your body or head or other part.  This can be used to set the skin tone.  Some (like the Altamura head's HUD) come with several skins pre-loaded.  You can choose them with a single button click.

The other type of HUD is an "applier".  Appliers are sold by the creator where you bought a skin.  If it's designed to work with your particular mesh body part, a single click of the applier's button will apply your skin to the body part. You'll generally use this in conjunction with the main control HUD that came with your head or other body part.

Some creators don't make appliers for every mesh body part out there.  Instead, creators use the "Omega" system for greater compatibility with a wide variety of other creators' products.  The Omega HUD is a sort of intermediary...you use it to get the applier for your skin to "talk" to the mesh body part you want to apply the skin to.

Sometimes, a mesh body part that was looking just fine suddenly starts to look wonky.  In my case, the problem is usually that my SLink hands and feet suddenly don't seem to fit my wrists and ankles properly.  I find that a re-log will generally fix this.

You didn't really tell us enough for some concrete answers but many altamura mesh bodies are all in one (head and body) so I am going to guess that is what you have. IF SO you may have tried on a demo that only showed you the head and not the body and are stuck now.  Still guessing of course.

The best thing to do would be to start over with a clean copy of the body (and head if it has that).  If you have messed up your original copy you can get a REDELIVERY at the altamura store. Just find the redelivery terminal and click on it.   THIS TIME AND FOREVER AFTER  :D  you need to make copy of the body BEFORE trying on skins. 

For altamura you will need to have the HUD on screen for the skin appliers to work. You will likely need an Omega relay if you are using Omega appliers (I think Linda explained that above).  BUT you may have done something much simpler that we can't understand. 

IF you know how to take a screenshot to show the issue that would help A LOT.   I have to say that the altamura support folks are not the best, so getting answers there may be difficult. Sorry. 

you have to have your head HUD open, its the Altamura 4B in your body folder. then go to skin in the head  HUD and click on any there that isnt a demo...that should remove the demo and replace with whatever skiin you have there. IF you dont have any skins in your head HUD open Altamura 5 Skin and makeup applier and chose a skin there (its the default skins that comes with the body)

You can't remove a skin, you can only replace it with another.

If you have an Altamura fullbody, i.e. body and head in one, attach both the body HUD and the head HUD to your screen. For an Altamura head, just attach the head HUD and ignore the body-HUD instructions here.

You might already have a suitable skin saved in the HUDs. Check the skin tab of the body HUD and if there is a suitable skin in one of the 4 save slots, click it to apply it. Same with the head HUD - click the skin tab (the top one on the right), and if there is a suitable skin in one of the eight save slots, click it to apply it.

If you don't already have a suitable skin saved, then first check the skin save slots in both of the HUDs to make sure that there is at least one slot empty in each - you can clear unneeded save slots by clicking the X beside them. Then open the Skin and Makeup Applier HUD that comes with the body/head and click one of the skin tones to apply it and save it.

To apply makeup on your head, the same system applies - click the (e.g.) lips tab on the head HUD and if there is a suitable lips colour already saved, click it to apply it, otherwise clear any unneeded save slots and use the Skin/Makeup Applier HUD to apply a lipstick. You can also click the "colour lips" tab at the bottom of the head HUD which allows you add colour to the already-applied lipstick.

You can also apply skins and makeup using external Omega appliers, but that is a separate subject.

If you are still having problems, please let us have some more details, maybe with screenshots - what body/head do you have, what skins/makeup are you trying to apply, etc.

Edited by angeoco
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.