TearsFromtheMoon

Hunting for Distinctive Outfit IN-WORLD

Hello everyone,

My husband is looking for a very particular outfit for a very long time. He has seen it a number of times and we finally were able to get a screenshot. I am hoping with this image some of you can help us identify the Vendor and whether or not they have a store in-world or on the MP. Thank you in advance for your assistance. Also, if you would like to make things speedier for us at all, you are more than welcome to IM me with the desired information, just please state first-hand the reason for you contacting me besides just a "hello". Thank you again!

REVISION: Okay, I decided to revise this because while the finds on the MP are awesome starting places, I realized that sometimes Creators 'In-World' will often make Iconic Costumes, but have no MP store. So if you can find an In-world store with a Dr. Strange costume that comes with a detachable cape, boots, etc. It does NOT have to be "Dr. Strange" something similar though with a black undershirt and the robes and/or overshirt do not go past mid-thigh. My husband and I would again be most grateful for the additional effort. Thank you!

Ronen Outfit.png

Edited by TearsFromtheMoon
I realized I wanted to exhaust yet another avenue before I officially called it quits.
  • Like 1

I don't have a store name or anything like that for you, but try searching for "Dr. Strange", because that right there is part of his outfit from the movie. Just without the cloak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all so very much, Syo Emerald, Whirly Fizzle, and Sukubia Scarmon. You have all been very helpful and I am sure we will be able to get him that outfit he's looking for now. Thank you! <3

• Like 1

Why the everloving fudge are you guys linking to and thereby supporting copyright theft items as if it's a normal and helpful thing to do? Shame on you.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

Why the everloving fudge are you guys linking to and thereby supporting copyright theft items as if it's a normal and helpful thing to do? Shame on you.

I wondered about the linking because I thought weren't allowed to link anything in the forums, just give maybe shop names and that be it. Did the Lindens change this?

Also, I was wondering about the copyright issue myself, considering some of the work looks like it may have been imported or stripped possibly from a game or something. :/ So I was a bit concerned about that aspect.

1 minute ago, TearsFromtheMoon said:

I wondered about the linking because I thought weren't allowed to link anything in the forums, just give maybe shop names and that be it. Did the Lindens change this?

Also, I was wondering about the copyright issue myself, considering some of the work looks like it may have been imported or stripped possibly from a game or something. :/ So I was a bit concerned about that aspect.

Dr. Strange himself is copyrighted. Just like Captain America, the Hulk, Iron Man, Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, the smurfs, Hellraiser...and the list goes on forever. Whoever sells these items is not only breaking the TOS but also the law.

While supporting copyright theft by linking to it in a 'here you can buy this crap' kind of way may not be directly against the law it's shameful. Buying and using copyrighted things is on par with being a copyright thief yourself.

If you created something original and you wish to make money of it, you wouldn't be okay with other's ripping it off and profiting off your work would you? Return that courtesy. Have your husband return that courtesy, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Syn Anatine said:

Because in general opinion when its done with materials from very rich corporations on such a small scale that it does not really harm or even bother them, is not really that bad. Of course strictly seen its illegal. But so was taping music from the radio in my young years, copying a video tape or downloading MP3 music, streaming a movie that was not out yet and so on. And yeah, I did those too.

If someone makes content in SL and someone else copies that and starts selling it too, I would not buy it and feel its a bad thing to do. If someone makes a copy of a Spiderman outfit and sells it in SL, I don't care a bit about it really. Its not like Marvel has their own business in SL and misses out on the money now.

• Like 2

I have an online business on top of my regular job. There are so many copyright products I see and people are unaware that things are copyrighted or don't think of it in a business state of mind. Not everyone is aware ^_^

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Because in general opinion when its done with materials from very rich corporations on such a small scale that it does not really harm or even bother them, is not really that bad.

Breaking the law is always that bad.

Not only are you breaking the law but you are directly profitting off someone else's work. That's lazy, underhanded, uncreative and just vile.

Edited by Syn Anatine

Yes, those outfits technically break copyright law, as none of the people that make 3D clothes based on the exact costume design of Dr. Strange do not own a licence for this interlectual property and neither did they ask Marvel. I wouldn't call it lazy, underhanded, vile or uncreative though. If it isn't directly ripped from an already existing 3D file, creating mesh clothes from scratch is a lot of work and requires some solid technical and creative skill. Neither gaining that skill, nor putting it into action is lazy.

Underhanded and vile: In this case? Not really, considering the consequences for the rightful owner of this interlectual property. Marvel is a multimillion dollar company. They do not suffer from someone making a 3D Model of one of their characters and putting it on Second Life. Its not even in competition with one of their own products and does not occur in a market, that they plan to venture into. In short: Does Marvel gets harmed by this? No.

And to put this even more in perspective: In theory, many forms of fanart violate interlectual property. Each time you are drawing or otherwise creating something based on someones elses character or franchise without obtaining their permission first, you are technically not doing it legally. BUT....almost all companies do not care (okay, except for Disney in some cases, but Disney is "special" and not the norm). They don't feel treatened or disturbed by it and the effort they would have to put into making someone stop outweights the benefit. In many cases, big companies tend to even see fanwork as a source of free advertisement and even encourage people to make fanart or cosplay from their properties. So even if Marvel would know about this, maybe they wouldn't even care, so it does not feel fruitful to be offened on behalf of the company.

And last but not least: Its a tilt at windmills from the perspective of an individual forum user. There is soooo much content on the MP and within Second Life, that mingles with foreign properties, that it would be quite frustrating and futile to go into battle against it. So people just roll with it, not encourageing it, but accept it as a battle that isn't theirs. If you care: Drop the people at Marvel a hint.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Breaking the law is always that bad.

Not only are you breaking the law but you are directly profitting off someone else's work. That's lazy, underhanded, uncreative and just vile.

When you are at work and listening to (internet) radio loud enough for others to hear, you are breaking the law because you are not allowed to play music in a public area without paying rights. If you make a screenshot of someones work, avatar or just in general of SL and post it online you probably are infringing some copyright here or there. There's many gradations in breaking the law willingly or unwillingly. If I speed with my car 5 kmh/mph too fast I am breaking the law, I would not call it the same level of bad than someone robbing a bank for example.

In this specific case this is a nice article about the reasons why Marvel in this example does take down SL content but why they really do not care about this little stuff besides the need to act on it for the way how copyright/trademark law works.  

• Like 1

You guys are the reason the MP is full of copyrighted sh*t. I'd love to hear your opinions on copybotted items, as that's the exact same thing. Someone stealing the work of someone else and profiting off it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

You guys are the reason the MP is full of copyrighted sh*t. I'd love to hear your opinions on copybotted items, as that's the exact same thing. Someone stealing the work of someone else and profiting off it.

But but don't you see the difference Syn? Copybotting affects other SL users ;)

... she's right, you know folks?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

But but don't you see the difference Syn? Copybotting affects other SL users ;)

... she's right, you know folks?

Quite frankly, I can't believe that these guys even attempt to justify and downplay stealing.
If it ever happens to them I wonder if they'll justify and downplay being stolen from as well and call it 'not that bad' that someone is profitting off their hard work.

It's only okay if it happens to someone else, especially a big corporation that has 'loads of molah to begin with' right?

• Like 2

There is a precient precedent for rampant copying. See Ready Player One by Warner Bros and Steven Spielberg. 

• Like 1

No, we are not. People who make those items and put them up are the reason why anything is on the MP. They want to make it and so they do. Even if nobody ever brought it, some would upload it (seen as there is a lot of garbage on the MP, that nobody could possible demand). I, personally, do not buy this kind of items for personal reasons regarding expected quality and that I don't want my avatar to wear items, that have the feeling of being a costume, as well as the risk involved of the item vanishing one day.

Copybotting is not the same.

- Copybotting is copying an item and making an exact copy of this item. Its exact dublication, cloneing. There is no change in medium, specification, apperance...and no own work. An equivalent in real life would be product counterfeiting. In this case, you have a design that got transfered into a 3D object. Still a break of the copyright law, but not technically the same.

- Its legitimate to 'feel' a difference between content, that is the property of a multimillion dollar company, that has no own business in the SL market and is in no way directly affected and the attempted destruction of an individuals small business, that may provide them with the necessary income to not starve. The scale of impact is just different and there is no denying of that, no matter how you feel about the topic in general. I do feel more sorry for the person losing their entire income, than I feel for the company, whos lawyer puts more effort into scratching their butt, than in the DMCA note. Just as I do feel different about people drawing fanart or dressing up for comic conventions.

This is not an attempt to defend the practice of using foreign designs, its just a view grounded in reality. If nobody had linked it here, she would have gone to the MP an searched it for herself, so...I don't see a reason to make a huge drama out of it (you can of course mention it, but why that outrage and personal attack?). Its her decision, if she deciedes to ignore its origin and buys it. And as I said...go ahead and inform Marvel. They are the only one capeable of doing something against those outfits on the MP. No voiced anger on this forum has ever changed anything (I was like that too, many moons ago in a similar case, but later I realized how much energy was wasted that way and that I had no actual influence on the issue).

• Like 2

Stealing is stealing is stealing. That's how copybotting and copyright theft is the exact same.

Instead of enabling this let these individuals search for copyrighted things themselves, don't present it to them on a silver platter re-enforcing their belief that it's okay to buy these things.

Stop justifying it.

If the truth is a personal insult then well....

Edited by Syn Anatine
typos
  • Thanks 1

Copybot is like taking a book, make exact photocopies of it and sell those copies. That's not exactly the same as me writing an entire book, thinking the entire story up myself, but the story takes place in the Marvel universe, and that's copyrighted so not allowed.

Noone is justifying it. We are just saying we (and probably the victim of the deed, Marvel) do not care about some level of "stealing" enough to make an issue out of it. Just like I don't care if someone crosses a street while light is on red, or turns on his radio while working in a public place. No one is saying its not a breach of law, its just one of such a low importance and impact that we can live with it perfectly fine.

But your views and mine are too far a part to ever come to a mutual opinion I guess, so lets agree to disagree :)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

Stealing is stealing is stealing. That's how copybotting and copyright theft is the exact same.

I am very much in favour of creators rights so nobody should profit from other's works, but I also believe fans should not be locked out from worshipping their idols. So I am curious Syn, leaving aside the absolute correctness of not linking to IP theft items in the MP... how do you feel about Cosplay?

Edited by Callum Meriman
I can't spee;l
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

I am very much in favour of creators rights so nobody should profit from other's works, but I also believe fans should not be locked out from worshipping their idols. So I am curious Syn, leaving aside the absolute correctness of not linking to IP theft items in the MP... how do you feel about Cosplay?

Cosplay outfits are made by the wearer and not sold. There is no profit involved in cosplay. You do it out of love. If I spent a week making a full mesh, exact copy of the Dr Strange outfit from the movie and sold it in SL, that is not cosplay. That is more akin to mass producing Halloween costumes. Which you need a license for.

Mix and match bits on the MP to make your look. That is cosplay. And legal. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Cosplay outfits are made by the wearer and not sold. There is no profit involved in cosplay. You do it out of love. If I spent a week making a full mesh, exact copy of the Dr Strange outfit from the movie and sold it in SL, that is not cosplay. That is more akin to mass producing Halloween costumes. Which you need a license for.

Mix and match bits on the MP to make your look. That is cosplay. And legal. 

Yes, I am pretty sure I said all that.

So, you believe cosplay is ok. I wonder if Syn feels the same, as she has this theft is theft is theft line going. And cosplay isnt theft. Profiting off the IP is, but for a fan to make their own, it isn't.

3 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Yes, I am pretty sure I said all that.

So, you believe cosplay is ok. I wonder if Syn feels the same, as she has this theft is theft is theft line going. And cosplay isnt theft. Profiting off the IP is, but for a fan to make their own, it isn't.

I realize this is going to sound really odd coming from a guy with a copyrighted icon... BUT... The linking to direct MP items that are breaking copyright laws is wrong, on so many levels. What really kills me are the "But its ONLY 2 or 3 USD!!!" So not the point. Much like Zeta saying 5mph over the limit is speeding, would she still accept a ticket for it, or would she fight it? Breaking the law is breaking the law. Copyright and trademark law is very very clear. I personally feel all of these ripped from game avs should be pulled from the MP. 

• Like 1