Why should I pay for a demo?

Prisqua Newall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can't speak to inworld purchases, but I can say, as a Marketplace merchant, I began listing Demos at $1L because of how MP handles $0L purchases. If someone is checking out in MP with a $0L total, they aren't taken directly to the checkout screen. They are first directed to a page of other paid listings with a "proceed to checkout" button "hidden" at the bottom. LL doesn't make anything off of $0L purchases so I assume the idea is to entice adding more items to the cart first.  This can be confusing to shoppers who aren't familiar with this quirk, so instead I began listing them at $1L to avoid any confusion with the checkout process. If that "feature" were eliminated I would have no problem listing demos for free.

Edited by Nicholas Melchior
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Nicholas Melchior said:

I can't speak to inworld purchases, but I can say, as a Marketplace merchant, I began listing Demos at $1L because of how MP handles $0L purchases. If someone is checking out in MP with a $0L total, they aren't taken directly to the checkout screen. They are first directed to a page of other paid listings with a "proceed to checkout" button "hidden" at the bottom. LL doesn't make anything off of $0L purchases so I assume the idea is to entice adding more items to the cart first.  This can be confusing to shoppers who aren't familiar with this quirk, so instead I began listing them at $1L to avoid any confusion with the checkout process. If that "feature" were eliminated I would have no problem listing demos for free.

I know at least one person besides you who was confused by it!

37 minutes ago, Nicholas Melchior said:

This can be confusing to shoppers who aren't familiar with this quirk, so instead I began listing them at $1L to avoid any confusion with the checkout process. If that "feature" were eliminated I would have no problem listing demos for free.

if people run into that once ... they know it.... no need at all to sell your demo's.

10 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Your loss, I won't buy your demos then... no matter how hard you try resurrecting dead threads.

That's fine. I don't want your business if $1L offends you so much. I was merely explaining the rationale. It's done as a courtesy.

Edited by Nicholas Melchior
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.