Why should I pay for a demo?

Prisqua Newall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1971 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There should be at least a free demo in world. I do get the idea of a 1L demo on MP so you can send to a friend, but I have a rule that I will not shop with a merchant that charges for a demo. I might miss some good things that way, but it is what it is. One of the worst offenders I noticed recently of my little rule seems to be wedding dresses. They can cost thousands of $L and some have no demo or charge for a demo? really? I just shop with my feet.  

One thing i would be willing to do is to join the (free) group to get free demos. it could be an incentive for folks to join, even though i know many would just leave afterwards, although I thought I'd do that with some that 2 years later I am still a member of.  I always check group notices and if they are not spammers, I tend to stay if i like the items in the store... but thats a whole different  subject

Edited by Heathernorton
typo
  • Like 2

I saw a L$1 demo recently at an event and I paused for a few seconds because I haven't seen a paid demo in ages. I think a paid demo is like placing a barrier to your potential sales. If you have a product selling for L$100 a single sale gets you 100x more than all your demo sales. Why handicap your sales? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The total amount of Linden I have spent on Demo's in the past 5 years is exactly 2L and that was a total fluke caused by being far too tired to even realize the 1L cost.

I hope merchants enjoy not getting my Linden. It's a sure fire way to get me to blacklist a store. I don't give a darn if you set your demo's to 1L to hide behind the 'but people want to gift it!' shtick. The vast majority of people are shopping for themselves, only a miniscule amount use that gifting feature, yet you as a merchant decide to nickle and dime the rest of your customers because of a few.

Yeah no. I'll shop elsewhere.

Disclaimer: You as in general you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

It's either L$1 or 1L, not $L1 or L1.

Where I live it will be 1 L$.
First amount, then currency symbol separated with space from the amount.
That's how we mark prices with any currency.

It looks weird for us if it's any other way. :SxD

• Thanks 1

The idea that 1L amounts to practically nothing is no reason to justify it as acceptable. I see no reason anyone should just throw minuscule amounts of money around just to find out whether they like something in the end. Those of you using it as a means to gift someone a demo, ideally there should be a way to do so without using such a method and at the cost of zilch.

In a way, it's like paying 10L to upload something you can't preview (things without temp upload) only to find out you made an error. Pay for potential upload mistakes? SL should be about promoting learning of the tools efficiently (meh beta grid testing) while minimizing unnecessary costs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kurshie Muromachi said:

Pay for potential upload mistakes? SL should be about promoting learning of the tools efficiently (meh beta grid testing) while minimizing unnecessary costs.

offtopic: Shhh, try the betagrid ;)

• Haha 1

When it’s a paid demo, I close the box and move on to the next item. All I want to know is if it’ll fit the body I’m using and what it looks like on me. If the creator can’t be bothered with that, I’ll find a creator that can, it’s easy. It’s usually right in the next stall or display.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

Where I live it will be 1 L$.
First amount, then currency symbol separated with space from the amount.
That's how we mark prices with any currency.

It looks weird for us if it's any other way. :SxD

Okay, I can accept that and I kind of did with "1L." xD I live in euro-land so we have the amount followed by currency as well.

The idea that 1L amounts to practically nothing is no reason to justify it as acceptable. I see no reason anyone should just throw minuscule amounts of money around just to find out whether they like something in the end. Those of you using it as a means to gift someone a demo, ideally there should be a way to do so without using such a method and at the cost of zilch.

In a way, it's like paying 10L to upload something you can't preview (things without temp upload) only to find out you made an error. Pay for potential upload mistakes? SL should be about promoting learning of the tools efficiently (meh beta grid testing) while minimizing unnecessary costs.

I absolutely agree with this.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are two kinds of stores I don't buy from - stores that offer no demos, and stores that charge for their demos.

Oh and any store that sells only tank tops, hoodies and board shorts. Or you know, only women's clothes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

There are two kinds of stores I don't buy from - stores that offer no demos, and stores that charge for their demos.

Agreed. I went to a store once to find out all the demos were 1L each. Left without looking back.

This is happening at popular fashion events though. I sent an email to the event manager or whoever read the emails on the website, asking for their "thoughts" on this matter lol No one has replied yet.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

It's not a service. They're trying to convince you to buy the item and you would be a fool to buy it without checking out a demo first. You might as well start paying shops to advertise to you. 

People in RL buy clothes all the time with "Adidas" and "Nike" plastered all over them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

It's not a service. They're trying to convince you to buy the item and you would be a fool to buy it without checking out a demo first. You might as well start paying shops to advertise to you. 

5 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

People in RL buy clothes all the time with "Adidas" and "Nike" plastered all over them. 

In RL, we don't pay to try clothes on in a store, but if ordering online, that' a different story, and brands like Adidas and Nike, yeah, well, that's another story too lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

People in RL also:

- Eat themselves past obesity, and then orders another Bic Mac with an extra large serving of fries,
- Smoke cigarettes,
- Complain about capitalism, but refuse to abstain their consumerist lifestyles
- Chose to become vegan to 'save the environment', buys a lot of avocados, tofu and almond based dairy substitutes,
- Tattoos 'Carpe Diem' into their skins without having a clue what Horace was talking about - or who he was,
- Listen to pop music,
- Go to Church,
- Send $250,000,000 worth of missiles against military property of a foreign, sovereign nation - who are defending themselves from an extremist religious uprising that propagates holy war,
- Believe that the earth is flat,
- Solemnly declares that the Holocaust must never be repeated, then assault Jewish people to protest violence in Palestine,
- Put baking soda in a batter and call the abominable result 'pancakes',
- Complain about stupid things people do, on the Internet,

Many are the flaws of our kind,
But there's just no excuse for wearing brand clothes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Orwar said:

- Go to Church,

Some even do that in Second Life ... I can't even fathom. I mean, I'm pretty sure a couple of hours in world is enough to convince those of a god bothering disposition that we all need Jesus, but to then seek out the afore mentioned deity in world just boggles the mind. 

• Thanks 1

You shouldn't. 

No demo = no buy.

No FREE demo = no buy anything from that creator ever ;D

Then priced demos will go away. But let's be honest. Impulsive buyers don't care and will buy the demo anyway, even if they've been burned by that decision before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When it comes to paid demos,I have this rule..

I'll go ahead and buy the first one..I'll judge the whole rest of your products by it though..If I don't like it,we're pretty much done doing business together..I more than likely won't be back.

The same goes for if I do like it..I'll grab more and end up buying something and will more than likely be back in the future..

You can tell a lot about a creator from just one product..

Free demos, I will grab all the demos of the things that interest me and usually end up buying something or all of it or nothing at all..If I don't like any of them,I more than likely won't be back..

Most times though,I'll usually find something that I like..The one charging is just cutting down their odds of me buying something,unless their stuff is good right out the gate.

As far as I'm concerned,it's not about the money I will spend on something..It's about worth..

If it's not worth it to me,I'm not going forward.. I'm as picky as it gets when it comes to shopping.

I don't put that much science into it as to, why others do the things they do..

I'm just there to shop and find something for myself..it's not my job to keep me coming back or not.

hehehehe

• Like 2

I don't care. 1L$ is .. nothing. Like literally nothing. I'm not going to waste time getting my knickers in a bunch over 0.003 US pennies.

Sure there is the principal, and if getting all high and mighty floats your boat then don't pretend otherwise. Me, I've tried the demo, binned it and hold no hard feelings for anyone involved. Life is just too short.

I have a floating bunny "quest giver" who gives 1L$ to anyone who pokes him for a quest.

P4Jj505.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm not getting high and mighty about it..

The thought process doesn't even take two seconds in reality..It's like flipping pages in a magazine..

I don't get all political when it comes to shopping,it's just after the years of doing it, I have my way of doing it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CoffeeDujour said:

I don't care. 1L$ is .. nothing. Like literally nothing. I'm not going to waste time getting my knickers in a bunch over 0.003 US pennies.

You madam,....

... should attend math class again. It is more like 0.3 pennies (still not much - true - but a hundred times more than you think, ... did you switch from pennies to dollars without sliding the comma? ;))

• Haha 1

What usually happens to me is, I'll have exactly enough linden left over to buy something like a hair and it usually takes a while to find one I like . Like 20+ demos later , which is why I refuse to buy paid demos most of the time . The more paid demos , the less demos I can try, and then the less actual products I can buy .  Something about wanting a 250 linden item but then having to pay a tax fee of 1$ just to get enough to buy it makes me feel like I wasted the money . Small linden purchases just aren't worth it like big ones .

10 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

You may not care about 1L but for a lot of folks 1L is a lot.
It's not about feeling high and mighty. There is plenty of SL users who slave away in Linden Realms or at fishing spots to get a couple L each day. For those people 1L is a lot if they have very few to spare. 1L demos add up after a while and once they do find something nice they may no longer have enough to even buy the item and need to invest even more time to get a bit more Linden.

Same goes for those with a very limited budget for SL each week/month. Perhaps they can spend only 10 bucks a month on SL, they're exactly the type of in-worlders who will demo the hell out of things to make sure none of those Lindens go to waste, and they'll much prefer free demo's because with each 1L spent their limited budget is going down and down and down.

Granted, I choose to blacklist stores who charge for demo's out of principal, I have plenty of Linden to spare. I just don't appreciate the fact that I am being charged for the opportunity to shop at their store. If a store would charge me in RL to try on a pair of pants I would do the same, I would no longer shop there. Again, it's not about feeling all high and mighty. Just because I am fortunate enough to have a good income within SL doesn't mean I am fortunate in RL. Due to health reasons I'm being more or less forced to live turning over each euro I have to make sure I don't go into the negatives, and I apply that type of thinking to SL, too. Sure sometimes I splurge or indulge for entertainment purposes but that doesn't mean I'll throw my Linden away, those Linden are spent on items I will be enjoying for a long time, not a demo I will trash after one use. I shop a lot, and if I'd start buying 1L demo's it would quickly add up to several hundred Lindens each month, several thousand in a year. Just for demo's. No thank you.

To each their own in this case, it's a matter of perspective, it's not a matter about feeling high and mighty.

• Like 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1971 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.