Skin/mesh questions

DeadFoxTails

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2175 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So I got the kemono avatar, and I am making a skin. BUT, it's a bunny, and I don't know what to do for the tail and ears.

I have NO skill whatsoever with 3D modeling. Do I need to find a fitting tail and ear mesh off the shop? Do I need to make my own? I don't know what to do ack

6 answers to this question

Well, those are your choices, Fox.  Buy something that's already made, or practice up your Blender skills and make your own!  If you go ready made, and plan to re-texture it, do be sure to check Permissions.  You'll want at least Modify permission, and if you plan to re-sell it as your own product, full permissions.

You can find full-perm kits for many things in SL. Body and body parts for various forms of human and non-human avatars are common. Your problem is cost. The makers of the kits assume you are a reseller and will be making money from the reselling of their 'thing'. So, the cheap kits usually are of poor quality and require some 3D model editing.

Blender is an advanced 3D modeling and animation tool. Because of its extensive capabilities, it has a huge, steep learning curve. Plus, SL has some non-standard modeling twists that have to be learned. None of this is difficult or rocket science. But, there is so much to learn it is a challenge.

YouTube has loads of Blender Beginner Tutorials. Pay attention to the date the video was made. Focus on those made in the last year.

For Blender, there is an addon named AvaStar that reduces the learning curve in the advanced area but adds to the basic learning.

I say all this to point out there is no way around having to learn. But, you do NOT have to learn it all in one pass before being able to make stuff. Take small parts. Maybe make a t-shirt. Then move on.

Coming Soon...

There is a change coming to SL that will make things easier for those new to modeling. A feature called Bakes On Mesh (BoM) is currently being implemented. So, mesh body and body parts will be much easier to use. 

We will see the entire Applier market change. As it is now we create appliers to put clothes, skins, etc. on mesh bodies. After BoM goes live we will be able to make clothes and skins for mesh things just as we do for the Classic avatar. 

So, your learning to make a t-shirt for the classic avatar will provide the knowledge you need to know to work with the new BoM stuff.

BoM is also likely to change how full-perm dev kits are made. Changes are coming. We can't know how it will all shake down. But, I expect it to get easier for those new to 3D modeling.

Edited by Nalates Urriah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2175 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.