Issue with mesh house!

DarkEmperor13

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes.  For something as complex as a house, it can be wise to build it in parts (roof, second floor, first floor, for example) and assemble the parts in world. If nothing else, that makes it much easier to modify the structure later, because you won't have to upload the entire model if you decide to change the roof line or add a back door.  Building things as modules also means that you will have bits and pieces that you can combine in alternative ways to make several different final models -- "mix and match" style.

ok so in the video I was given a link to, the person said to have the uploader analyze the model but I only see default and she said to change it to prim once u rez it and I rezzed it and there is no option to set it as a prim. only convex null and none. I'm using firefox

2 hours ago, DarkEmperor13 said:

....I'm using firefox

I hope you mean Firestorm.  Some versions of Firestorm don't have the extensions that give the options under analyse.  Try the SL official viewer.

2 hours ago, DarkEmperor13 said:

ok so in the video I was given a link to, the person said to have the uploader analyze the model but I only see default and she said to change it to prim once u rez it and I rezzed it and there is no option to set it as a prim. only convex null and none. I'm using firefox

Oh kay.

Ummmmm, no offense but as Rolig hinted at, making a whole house for Second Life is a huge and complex project and definitely not something anybody should try unless they have a lot of experience with Second Life mesh.

But then again, SL is supposed to be a fun place where everybody are supposed to find an outlet for their creativity, so if you really want to, go for it! Prepare for some serious hair tearing though...

Some essentials:

When you make a mesh house, you need to make at least two versions of it, one visual model and one physics model. Ideally you also want to make some LoD models but you can get away with leaving it to the uploader to make some poor imitations of those. The physics model is essential though.

The physics model needs to include all the surfaces an avatar is likely to bump into or walk on but as little details as possible beyond that. If you upload without a physics model, youget the problem you describe with the "prim" physics shape option missing.

Contrary to what Rolig said, you can actually upload a house as a single mesh but to do that efficiently you're into the really, really REALLY advanced level and it's definitely not something a beginner should try. Also, a mesh in Second Life can only have a maximum of eight different textureable faces and that's usually not enough for a house. If the mesh has more faces than that, the uplaoder will split it up into several meshes anyway and it's not very good at it (or anything else for that matter) so it's much better to do that yourself.

There is some official documentation about mesh in Second Life. Ignore all of that. It's rubbish.

This forum is by far the best source of information about mesh making, look especially for posts by Drongle McMahon, Arton Rotaru and Aquila Kytori. There are so many posts here though, so it can be very hard to find what you are looking for.

14 minutes ago, DarkEmperor13 said:

firestorm ya sorry. don't know why I said firefox.

Np. I used to make that mistake myself all the time and I survived the humiliation and am still here. :)

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Contrary to what Rolig said, you can actually upload a house as a single mesh

Well, yeah.... but what I really said was 

5 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

For something as complex as a house, it can be wise to build it in parts

As you pointed out in better detail, it's certainly possible to make a whole house as a single model.  Just not wise, unless you're really good at it and the house is pretty simple.  9_9

5 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Contrary to what Rolig said, you can actually upload a house as a single mesh but to do that efficiently you're into the really, really REALLY advanced level and it's definitely not something a beginner should try.

I think the OP kinda skipped through some of the video and went straight to the uploading part :D. Otherwise the land impact would NOT have been so high.   Oh well.

MEANWHILE I actually DID make an all one mesh house the other day for the VERY FIRST TIME -- a two story home. It worked well. Of course it is very "no mod" except for textures and such but still it was an interesting experiment. 

And yes, these issues seem to be something folks starting out on mesh often do. First they make a house before a chair *wink* and then they want it to be huge and complex (and often made with Sketchup) and wonder why it doesn't work. 

That "chair" part of the equation is an important step. Poco a poco.

Edited by Chic Aeon

8 hours ago, ChinRey said:

There is some official documentation about mesh in Second Life. Ignore all of that. It's rubbish.

This forum is by far the best source of information about mesh making, look especially for posts by Drongle McMahon, Arton Rotaru and Aquila Kytori.

Chinrey is being modest. She makes houses with the lowest Land Impact about.  I have one of her skyboxes, and you can't get lower LI than 1.

So add her name to that list.

Edited by anna2358

7 hours ago, anna2358 said:

Chinrey is being modest. She makes houses with the lowest Land Impact about.  I have one of her skyboxes, and you can't get lower LI than 1.

Thank you Anna but... ummm...

To make an empty cubic 1 LI skybox that never breaks down from poor LoD: Make a cube with six quads (or 12 tris), duplicate, flip normals, UV map, make a LoD model by removing as many interior tris as possible without loosing any materials - kep the exterior intact. Upload with the main model for physics and the same LoD model for all three levels.

Knowing how to do that, doesn't necessarly mean you're an expert mesh maker in the same way that knowing how to make a cup of instant coffee doesn't necessarily make you an expert barista. There's a reason why I sell it for a symbolic single Linden.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.