21 minutes ago, Maestro85 said:

also i want to point out that open simulator was created as a result of one particular customer dispute between him and linden labs 10 years ago for not giving him full ownership of his sim. according to the article the man who sued linden labs was upset cause linden labs did not clarify on there terms of agreement that he was only renting his land not really owning it. so after the court case was settled he not only won but gained a source code for second life because in order to own his simulator it had to be copied onto his machine individually and ran from from there on hyper grid mode so he could attach it to second lifes grid. you can visit all 15 of his simulators if you know where to find them. there privately owned and linden l;abs has no jurisdiction over them. witch is why they now put it flat out in there terms of agreement that you are strictly renting not owning land in sl.

Link to the article and/or proof or what you claim never happened.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Maestro85 said:

i'm aware of zuckerburg  being a developer of second life buddy he's involved with anything that uses face book as an output cause again people have to go through his company to make it available for use on there development project. he was only contracted to make face book available as a feature nothing else. so no facebook was only a marketing crutch and a quick fix.

Gets out parchment and quill to snailmail zed to make sure he remembers to put 'invented SL' on his CV.

34 minutes ago, Maestro85 said:

i'm aware of zuckerburg  being a developer of second life buddy

Oh, I was talking about Cory Ondrejka. Zuckerberg is a CEO, not a programmer or developer.

Ondrejka was the Chief Technical Officer at Linden Lab from 2000 until he was fired in 2007. He was in charge of developing the Second Life software and probably the main idea man behind SL.

He eventually ended up at Facebook where he proposed and developed the improved smartphone apps that allowed Fb to beat market leading Myspace and grow from being one of many to the one and only (and probably also causing more thumb fatigue than any other person in history).

7 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Oh, I was talking about Cory Ondrejka. Zuckerberg is a CEO, not a programmer or developer.

Ondrejka was the Chief Technical Officer at Linden Lab from 2000 until he was fired in 2007. He was in charge of developing the Second Life software and probably the main idea man behind SL.

He eventually ended up at Facebook where he proposed and developed the improved smartphone apps that allowed Fb to beat market leading Myspace and grow from being one of many to the one and only (and probably also causing more thumb fatigue than any other person in history).

O///O thanks for clarifying

1 minute ago, Maestro85 said:

goinbg to paste more

Yes, we need more. The article you linked to doesn't say anything about the court's ruling, jsut that a lawsuit had been filed. Still quite interesting reading.

Btw, since I'm replying here any way, it's Linden Lab without an s.

2 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

relevant material, as blogs and articles don't really full fill the requirement of being unbiased https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bragg_v._Linden_Lab

That's a different case, Optimo. Bragg v Linden Lab was in 2007. The case Maestro85 is talking about, was filed April 15th 2010.

According to NWM, the case was settled out of court when LL agreed to pay a 172,000 USD compensation.

Edited by ChinRey

there's also to say that the filer of thelawsuit wasn't really a saint, having HACKED the auction system to gain access to land not for sale in regular auctions. But since LL is a big company that was cashing out quite a lot, the judge preferred to view the ToS at the time and declared it to be unjustly biased towards LL (which still is)

Just now, ChinRey said:

but nothing about the result so far.

to me, if no result is available, it is as good as fishy air. The one i mentioned is the one i could find with an actual result and a judge sentence.

4 minutes ago, Maestro85 said:

well at this rate you might as well wach the tv for news wich is also a blog ran by reporters on screen buddy

i don't own a TV because aired material sucks and is biased. As much as blogs are. When some online documentation with links to actual facts from court comes up, that is something i might start reading as it has a higher chance of being pulled out from public reports. Again, blogs are exactly like TV news, run by politics fanboys and most often conflicting between channels for their political inclination

EDIT: and by public reports i mean published court material that is possible to check against official tribunal archives

Edited by OptimoMaximo

7 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

to me, if no result is available, it is as good as fishy air.

I think what's important here is that it could not have been the start of Opensim. Opensim was launched three years before this lawsuit.

But interestingly, it was settled only two months before LL closed the Second Life Enterprise project. There may be some connection there although probably not.

Edited by ChinRey

O///O welp buddy we just agreed on the same thing. anyways the article you pulled up on the wikipedia is once again a mention of the article wich ihas been long gone so Bragg vs. Linden labs is as close as you'll ever get sadly

O///O i kind of have some experience with open sim cause i have a copy of it on my computer and have sucessfuly operated my own sim, and the lsl modual works pretty nicely actualy

and the amount of control you have over your simulator compared to second life is addictive and down right empowering

15 minutes ago, Maestro85 said:

well here's also another theory. maybe Open Sim is an open source product of LL launched by LL

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/History

Our Cory Ondrejka was actually indirectly responsible for creating Opensim. He had noticed how lsl had become far more popular than LL had ever anticipated and proposed that LL could capitalize on this free programmer/scripter resource by making the viewer open source. With that available, it was relatively easy to create matching server side software, without it, it would have been a Herculean task.

15 minutes ago, Maestro85 said:

well here's also another theory. maybe Open Sim is an open source product of LL launched by LL

No it wasn't and it may well ahve been one of the reason Ondrejka was fired shortly afterwards. ;)

LL did however introduce a commercial stand-alone version called Second Life Enterprise a bit later. For a modest sum of 50,000 bucks you could buy the SL server software and run your own grid with it. They scrapped the project in August 2010 while it was still in beta:

https://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2010/08/second-life-discontinues-enterprise-platform/

There is more than one open source Second Life clone btw. - four that I know of: OpenSimulator, Whitecore (previously known as Aurora), Halycon and Silversim (previously known as Arriba).

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1