if your willing to put forth the effort into learning how to opperate the back end of a simulator then maybe you should download a copy for yourselves. one thing i will pointy out is if you don't have a vpn service downloaded your router will get in the way of people connecting to your sim unless you connect yourself directly to the internet. the region is set up to use one ip adress specificly. that ip adress has to be the same exact one on both your internal and external ip. or you'll be stuck trying to get a region handshake

6 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/History

Our Cory Ondrejka was actually indirectly responsible for creating Opensim. He had noticed how lsl had become far more popular than LL had ever anticipated and proposed that LL could capitalize on this free programmer/scripter resource by making the viewer open source. With that available, it was relatively easy to create matching server side software, without it, it would have been a Herculean task.

No it wasn't and it may well ahve been one of the reason Ondrejka was fired shortly afterwards. ;)

LL did however introduce a commercial stand-alone version called Second Life Enterprise a bit later. For a modest sum of 50,000 bucks you could buy the SL server software and run your own grid with it. They scrapped the project in August 2010 while it was still in beta:

https://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2010/08/second-life-discontinues-enterprise-platform/

There is more than one open source Second Life clone btw. - four that I know of: OpenSimulator, Whitecore (previously known as Aurora), Halycon and Silversim (previously known as Arriba).

^///^ thanks i'll check each of those out and see which works better. but as far as i can tell linden labs is playing dirty with its terms of agreement. you should be alowed to download your avatar and be able to export your content by law.

5 minutes ago, Maestro85 said:

if your willing to put forth the effort into learning how to opperate the back end of a simulator then maybe you should download a copy for yourselves.

I am running a 33 sim private grid. I've never tried to get it online though since I already have more free land on the ypergrid than I can manage and I'm running out of polite ways to decline new offers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

I am running a 33 sim private grid. I've never tried to get it online though since I already have more free land on the ypergrid than I can manage and I'm running out of polite ways to decline new offers.

^///^ the freedom is amazing huh? i love keeping my private 9 sim grid offline too only my mates get to link to it via vpn its much better that way seems how connecting to a grid just makes your pc vulnerable to attack from griefers.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Maestro85 said:

^///^ thanks i'll check each of those out and see which works better.

Quick summary:

• Opensim is the original, most common and best known. But the software is currently being managed by a team that doesn't seem quite up to the task and tend to regard it as their private property for them to do whatever they pelase with.
  • Silversim was an amazing one-man code cleaning of Opensim. It is still fully Opensim compatible yet runs almost as fast as Whitecore and according to sim owners who sue it, reduces the server load by 40%. It is not actively developed at the moment but the latest version is still recent enough to make it an itneresting alternative.
  • Halycon is the merger of two Opensim branches, Inworldz' and the U.S. Military forces'.
  • Whitecore is a completely independent program (although some of its unique features have later been adocted by Opensim). I think it's the one with the greatest potential but at the moment it's not nearly as developed as the others.

but as far as i can tell linden labs is playing dirty with its terms of agreement. you should be alowed to download your avatar and be able to export your content by law.

Ummm... as a content creator I have some opinion about that. :P

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

^///^ the freedom is amazing huh?

Yes but the way I see it, it's a supplement to, not a replacement for Second Life.

I use my private grid mainly for testing and I'm on the hypergrid mainly because there seem to far more top notch builders and scripters there than in SL. (Yes, there really are! They are even less visible there than in SL so they are hard to find but for me as a content creator, it's worth the search.)

Then again, I may be a bit different from the average SL users since I like surprises. People who want their own little virtual reality where they have full control, may see things differently.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2018 at 12:55 AM, Maestro85 said:

so yeah my question is why hasn't Linden Labs sue them yet?

Not sure,  but these two seem suspiciously related to one another.

Edited by Shansi Kenin

On 12/6/2018 at 11:51 PM, CoffeeDujour said:

and we all know what happened to Blue Mars....

yep, i was in there at the time. Moreover, the CryEngine2 it was based off is something that makes you cry for real, when it comes to set up land masses. Its coolest feature, to me, was the ability to assign mesh clothing to "layers" so that they would never clip into each other, automatically and at user discretion. A feature that really would be awesome to have in all engines

Posted (edited)
On 12.6.2018 at 11:51 PM, CoffeeDujour said:

and we all know what happened to Blue Mars....

No I don't, what happened? Kim Stanley Robinson sued hell out of them?

Edited by Fionalein

18 hours ago, Fionalein said:

No I don't, what happened?

The company that started BlueMars BOUGHT the license for CryEngine2 for something around 1 million dollars. I can't remember whether CryEngine2 became free or a subscription fee was introduced when CryEngine3 came out. The places were pretty much deserted and the engine itself wasn't really easy to work with, highly specialized and it required a specific Collada version to import anything. Good thing was that they supplied the right Collada exporter as plug in for Maya, 3DSMax and Blender. It needed a sandbox software separated from the engine itself in order to create assets before the actual import to the platform. It had its own inworld currency and the economy model was pretty much the same in SL. The problem with it is that it was pretty much demanding in terms of 3D software expertise and the company also made a separation between users, with a Developer and EndUser class (i can't remember the exact terminology) to apply for upon registration. In terms of navigation of the available places, it worked pretty much as Sansar does, with an atlas and the requirement to download the scenes in order to visit them. It died pretty soon, exactly as Sansar will.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Sansar and Blue Mars are only superficially similar.

CryEngine is overrated un-optimized garbage that everyone declared "ahead of it's time" because it was pretty and no one could run it .. sadly, even with decent modern hardware, it still runs like poop. Sansar's render engine is pretty solid but it's bound to the same kind of tech-barrier, future rendering hardware vs future VR adoption.

Blue Mars did have you download locations, they were smaller than Sansar's only our internet connections sucked. The entire concept of downloading a social location in advance was broadly hated and still is. BM was tied to the limitations of the engine,  Sansar's lack of of a streaming open-world is intentional. 

The high entry requirements and "huge" downloads were cited as being reasons for the failure of Blue Mars, but really things were more subtle. BM was pure investor bait with little appeal to actual people. There was always some reason why BM was awesome but no one was using it, and always some tech-buzzword solution and a new round of funding. The name of the project alone made it clear who it was for and that certainly wasn't you; Who in their right mind would want to be part of a social network with 'blue' in the title. What even is a Sansar? What does one Sansar? He/She/We Sansar? To Sansar, Sansaring, Sansaroligy? Second Life on the other hand is a excellent name (much like Ready Player One's Oasis), it fits the purpose and keys into the vision, if anything it sets the bar a little too high.

Now, this all sounds a lot more than simply superficial, but keep in mind. BM was built using an actual game engine. This was a deliberate design decision rather than a requirement for an off the shelf 'pretty' render engine and provided enough of a hint towards purpose to get people excited .. playstation home meets steam or myriad possibilities much like the early days of SL. Sansar on the other hand still has no stated purpose; left to our own immigration it's a little hard to see beyond 'slow walking museum simulator'. Blue Mars at least came with a vision.

I do find it worrisome that LL would repeat the same fundamental mistakes. Namely; a broadly unobtainable tech-barrier to entry is a death sentence, downloading locations in advance is not tolerable, tech-buzzwords don't make for a product anyone cares to use, what you name your product matters and you have to manage expectations.

Right now Sansar has no discernible purpose and kinda sucks, In keeping with the recent attempt to piggy back off Ready Player One (which featured a very well defined virtual world - tie in should have gone to SL, it wouldn't have been as pretty, but it would have been relevant), Sansar is more ... Sucksar.

Edited by CoffeeDujour
  • Like 2

On 5/3/2018 at 12:55 AM, Maestro85 said:

I have a huge question... Dose the sansar team think were all not smart enough to figure out that sansar just downloaded the open simulator source code and modified the user interface graphics and added a virtual reality headset friendly interface? how stupid do they think we are? and why hasn't Linden Labs sued the pants off of them yet? are they just waiting for them to become more developed so they have bigger money to win in  a case? i mean come on that's class a intellectual property theft lol! so yeah my question is why hasn't Linden Labs sue them yet?

if u scroll down on the second life website u can see lindenlabs owns sl and sansar

1 hour ago, Quinn Lysette said:

if u scroll down on the second life website u can see lindenlabs owns sl and sansar

You're a bit late to the party.  OP was told that within hours of creating the thread -- about 7-8 weeks ago. 

:SwingingFriends:

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You're a bit late to the party.  OP was told that within hours of creating the thread -- about 7-8 weeks ago. 

:SwingingFriends:

ya but im bored i dont have cable anymore :(

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 21.6.2018 at 7:18 AM, Quinn Lysette said:

ya but im bored

ChinRey Resident hands Quinn Lysette this week's "Best Reason for Posting on the Forums" award.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2