Can a GPS Transponder be used without compass?

ral61

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I started using a GPS Transponder, to test the accuracy of the flight plan without using a compass.

Some flights make good landings, without reporting a NOTAMS about security orb hazards, to send you home.

Other flights "catch it", this means the security orb caught the plane in-the-act, to start over. Luckily my backup plan is to start using "beacons" over (water), to steer away from orbs & complete the flight. Question 2: Can waypoints be created over water, as leverage for the GPS Transponder to flight plan around the security orbs?

Airstrip + GPS & Compass.PNG

Edited by ral61
misprint

6 answers to this question

The Shergood GPS system (as shown) is very good (best in SL) and amazingly accurate. As for flying without a compass: it has nothing to do with GPS, it has everything to do with navigation (with or without GPS) - so you decide. I simply use the minimap myself as it makes a great compass.

• Thanks 2

On 5/2/2018 at 9:50 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

That looks like the Shergood Aviation GPS.  You should contact the creator if you have questions about a specific item.

I eventually found out from video tutorial, that "waypoints" are created by the GPS HUD, after putting the flight plan together. 

I couldn't do it first with the GPS HUD, but saw how the SA-ATC Radar "automatically" put some waypoints with the saved route plans.

Edited by ral61

7 hours ago, ral61 said:

I eventually found out from video tutorial, that "waypoints" are created by the GPS HUD, after putting the flight plan together. 

I couldn't do it first with the GPS HUD, but saw how the SA-ATC Radar "automatically" put some waypoints with the saved route plans.

Yes - the waypoints (way markers) are simply coordinates on the map. You still have to navigate to that marker and a compass helps. Basically, you are sticking a pin into a map, though it's still up to you to find your way to that point in the world. My point is that a compass is not part of the waypoint system (in answer to the OP).The GPS system simply tells you were you are, not where you're going (just like in your car in RL) - though if you have an autopilot, it will use the aircraft controls and navigation equipment to get you there, whereas in your RL Car, the "autopilot" is the voice telling you to turn right or left, etc.

Most modern aircraft have an autopilot system built into them, cars do not, so the automobile GPS systems added to your car have them built in, albeit they are directional-only with no other control.

• Thanks 1

This is why I like to use the world map.  You don't need to leave it open all the time.  Single click on your desired waypoint.  Then minimize the map.  A red arrow will appear in world pointing toward the waypoint.  Fly there, following the arrow.  When you get close, a red vertical beacon will appear in the sky over the point.  At that point, open your map, click the next waypoint, and repeat as needed.

This also avoids spending a lot of money on navigational equipment.

• Thanks 1

I have found out that the compass & world map beacons, are most helpful to complete a flight plan with planes.

A compass with altitude readings, makes it twice as easy to not crash into something.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.