Help getting expressions to work on a bento head

KittenInTheBox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi folks! 

So I'm finally taking the plunge and asking rather than spending L$ in testing things out myself. Please bear in mind that I'm a bit of a newbie to the "under-the-hood" aspects of SL :) 

I own a Maitreya Lara body and a AK Kumiko bento head. Love the body, love the looks of the head... but for some reason, it doesn't animate. At all. Purchasing a bento head's animation HUD (https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/HD-bento-Facial-expression-HUD-BENTO-poseao/11027732) didn't help (I get some "fixed" poses, not all of them, and the face remains frozen while interacting with the world and the animations included in items. 

Now, I enjoy the adult part of the game. I've been trying to make it look and feel realistic for a while. I've read elsewhere that most adult animations were made before Bento, so they're not compatible, but then I also see some other users getting their faces to work. The question then is: 

What Bento head should I use to make sure it can be animated with most/all adult animations in-world? 

My favorites, by looks, are GA.EG Mia and Jennifer, but I don't want to go there if they'll remain static, or if it'll be impossible to find a realistic skin to match. I know Catya has lots of skins and shapes out there, but I'm not into the look. Catwa Lona, maybe, but...

Well, I look forward to your help! Thank you!! 

The AK heads have a separate animation HUD which is too pricey for it's own good, but in theory all heads animate with bento animations because it has to do with the head bones and not with the mesh head.

5 minutes ago, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

The AK heads have a separate animation HUD which is too pricey for it's own good, but in theory all heads animate with bento animations because it has to do with the head bones and not with the mesh head.

Thanks! 

Question: should the HUD work for the "deluxe" modern versions, or for all AK heads? (My kumiko isn't listed on the marketplace anymore). 

Being the animations bento they should work for all heads, but keep in mind that every head has a different rigging so the animation might look weird. For example, I wear the Catya head, I have a club dancing animation from Vista that animates the head and it was done to animate their own head, so when played while using Catya it just looks weird, makes my avatar have that creepy Joker smile.

LAQ and Lelutka heads have really pretty animations as well..you might try a demo and then modify the head to suit your needs. I NEVER use the shape that comes with the heads.. I make and use my own for every head I own (Catwa, LOGO, Lelutka, LAQ, Utilizator, etc)  I did see an adult animation HUD on marketplace but since I was not in the market for it I can't for the life of me remember what the name was, though I think you can find some with search. Anyway, LOGO has actually some very nice animations on their heads that come with the head actually. I own the Quinn head and though I like alot of things about it, I am not really too keen on the actual profile of the had at all. I like the Alexis Bento head more, as it reminds me of their old non-bento Alex head and the anims are pretty nice for adult stuff.

As for getting your face to work while "adulting"..sometimes people use their hud and change the expression based on what they are doing, and its not really the animations that are in the object they are on that is doing it.  I've also found that sometimes when I try to animate my head, I need to detach any other HUDs for animations that I might have or shut them off, as they may interfere, and this is just for photos mind you. The same might be for the animations for "adult stuff". 

For now though, if I had to recommend a head solely on animations.. I'd say Lelutka and LOGO with LAQ right up there, with LOGO and Lelutka really close to a tie for first.

Good luck with it and let us know how you make out!

As far as WHY the bento animations aren't working, I'd ask inworld - Mesh Body Addicts or the AK support group can probably give you more specialized help. 

"Adult" wise, I personally use separate animations. If you have other animations playing, you may have to turn them off or they can interfere with one another. I found a HUD I like well enough for adult facial animations, and tend to use that, along with a few in my head's HUD that work reasonably well. I haven't yet found any furniture that my head works with for animation the face, but I haven't really sought out adult furniture with bento face animations. I wouldn't count on any head working with furniture animations at this stage, especially with many adult sims having older furniture still, and would anticipate either putting together your own, or purchasing them separately.

Demo everything. Always. A free or cheap animations HUD, or the one you already have, should be sufficient to test animations in any bento head, just to see if they work. Also be aware that while all bento face animations should animate all bento heads, not all will work well with all heads. I have the new Vista AO, for instance, which animates the face as well as the hands and body, and while generally the animations play quite nicely with my Catwa head, there are a couple of smiles that, on my shape with my head, give me a "joker-esque" grin. The animations are amazing; the head is amazing - they just aren't made for one another, so a couple animations are just that little bit off. Demo, demo, demo.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for replying! Learned a lot, and now I actually seem to have figured out the issue... Meaning, the main problem seemed to be on the HUD I was playing with, and on my insistence on trying to get the anims FROM the furniture rather than choosing them myself. I've gotten a new HUD (https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Bento-Sex-Facial-Animation/12640099) and tested it on my current Kumiko and on the GA.EG MIA I was ready to substitute for. It works with both heads (the DEMO, at least) so I'm going to stick with my Kumiko for a while longer. We'll see if the anims interfere with the "adulting", or if they keep working just fine. 

Thanks again!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.