Some regions halt any kind of vehicle when entering

Rachel1206

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

region_fail_janus_20180501.thumb.png.12c5148577dadb5b2248ceab76e2fb92.png

For example region Janus, random distributed regions around Sansara (have not checked other mainlands, but I would assume this is grid wide).

Any kind of vehicle is forced to halt and no movement possible. Even the pods going around are stopped, which is a good indication something is wrong server side.

Edited by Rachel1206
Added image

It's not just vehicles. It's all objects. I rezzed the classic Linden beach ball from Library and tried to push it across the sim boundary on a Linden road. Now it's stuck at the boundary and won't move. Avatars can cross fine, but objects cannot.

Edit mode can move the ball into Janus sim, but it doesn't have physics. Even with the physics checkbox turned on. It's like the physics engine is not working.

Edited by animats

Janus is running RC LeTigre, which (along with RCs Magnum and Snack) is supposed to get today 18.04.30.515008 which should include:

Updates to simulator communication protocols aimed at improving region crossings and teleports

but at the moment, it's on 18.04.13.514504 so I don't know if that's relevant.

Whatever the cause in Janus, though, it wouldn't seem to be all that widespread because I'm still seeing more or less normal traffic on the SLRR (although I'm not sure how much of that is still using strictly physical motion).

2 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Similar problem reported here: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-216206

I'm down at the bottom of the Blake Sea, with motorcycles, testing that.

With a stock bike, almost every region crossing from Blake Sea - Yellow to Blake Sea - Black goes bad. Flyoffs into space up to 3 regions away. With our bikes with region crossing fixes, the region crossings take 5-10 seconds, but usually succeed if not near a region corner. I've had two region crossing fails with our bikes - one near a region corner, and one far from a region corner. On the second one, the bike disappeared - not returned, gone. I've seen that happen before, but rarely. Logging (our test bikes log region crossing info to a server outside SL) tells me where the bike was last located, and its's not there.

This looks different than the usual region crossing problem. Most region crossing problems show the vehicle getting across fine, but the avatar doesn't catch up immediately, or at all. For this one, the vehicle gets stuck and can't enter the new region for seconds. Once it gets in, the avatar catches up quickly.

I saw something like this driving around Heterocera last night. Delays of seconds crossing into a region, as if there was a solid obstacle there. I could back up and try again. Again, that wasn't the avatar trying to catch up; it was the vehicle not being accepted by the gaining sim.

That's about all I can find out.

What logging does LL have? (If LL logged region crossing fails as we do, but from the sim side, they'd have much better info on these problems.)

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, animats said:

I'm down at the bottom of the Blake Sea, with motorcycles, testing that.

With a stock bike, almost every region crossing from Blake Sea - Yellow to Blake Sea - Black goes bad. Flyoffs into space up to 3 regions away. With our bikes with region crossing fixes, the region crossings take 5-10 seconds, but usually succeed if not near a region corner. I've had two region crossing fails with our bikes - one near a region corner, and one far from a region corner. On the second one, the bike disappeared - not returned, gone. I've seen that happen before, but rarely. Logging (our test bikes log region crossing info to a server outside SL) tells me where the bike was last located, and its's not there.

This looks different than the usual region crossing problem. Most region crossing problems show the vehicle getting across fine, but the avatar doesn't catch up immediately, or at all. For this one, the vehicle gets stuck and can't enter the new region for seconds. Once it gets in, the avatar catches up quickly.

I saw something like this driving around Heterocera last night. Delays of seconds crossing into a region, as if there was a solid obstacle there. I could back up and try again. Again, that wasn't the avatar trying to catch up; it was the vehicle not being accepted by the gaining sim.

That's about all I can find out.

What logging does LL have? (If LL logged region crossing fails as we do, but from the sim side, they'd have much better info on these problems.)

Which sims specifically?  I sailed a bit yesterday in Blake.  Sim borders mostly Ok.

There was however a lot (more than usual) of some sort of lag with boats being astern one minuet and ahead the next.   Not sure what the cause might have been; my boat was generally responding very well to controls, so not sure what flavour of lag that was.  

The most common problems, as I think you know,  with sail boats are "falling off" (with the avi flying "seated" a few sims away from the boat), cam dislocation, and flying / submarfining.

animats - really glad to see someone taking a hard look at all of this.

7 hours ago, Caleb Linden said:

Hi I am just responding to https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-216206.This Tuesday there is going to be an update to the Second Life Server channel to simulator communication protocols aimed at improving region crossings and teleports. I saw that there are a lot of Blake Sea regions on there.

Is this the change to the retransmit timer tried on the beta grid two weeks ago, or the additional message to finish a sim crossing discussed at the Server User Group last Tuesday? Is it on the beta grid anywhere now?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.