AyelaNewLife

Transaction limit increase rate

Question

As a quick summary of my situation; I am a new player who has been here for around two weeks, and yesterday I took the plunge and bought L$ to buy myself a mesh avatar. I'd researched it in advance and I had a budget planned out, to keep my spending reasonable and controlled. I go to purchase L$ and I find that there is a $30 per rolling 30 days spending limit on my account, as I have no transaction history with LL; almost enough for the avatar I had planned, but missing a component and I only have the one fitmesh outfit so far. I tried filing a petition to have my limit increased to $50, as that still abides by the spirit if not the letter of the initial limits, but that was declined. 

Of greater concern is the fact that the customer service rep openly admitted that they did not have access to the rate at which my transaction limit would increase, other than the fact that it would reach $1999 after 30 days. I don't want to spend $2000, I want to spend $20, but I have no idea if I need to wait the full 30 days or if there will be a more gradual increase, and if so what timeline that follows - the implication from their words was that it would be gradual.

Does anyone have any clue at all as to how and when my transaction limit will increase? I am fairly confident that the next step up is all I will need in the medium term, so simply knowing if I have to wait two days, seven or fifteen would be a great answer.

Thanks in advance.

Editing in the answer for future readers: after 48 hours my 24 hour and 30 day limits were both increased from $30 to $100.

Edited by AyelaNewLife

10 answers to this question

That limit is for the first 30 days.  If you hit the limit early by buying a large amount of L$ at once, you wait until the end of the 30 day period.  Then your spending limit jumps to the next level, where it it likely to stay for a very long time unless you develop a pattern of needing to buy huge amounts of L$.  If you do, Linden Lab will review your request for a limit increase.  My own monthly limit has been $1999 since 2007 and is likely to stay there as long as I am in SL because I very rarely buy L$ and cannot justify asking for a limit increase.  Yours is likely to do the same.

The main idea behind the limits is to protect newcomers from overextending themselves unwittingly.  It's easy to feel the urge to buy all manner of expensive things in the first few weeks, but that may not be wise because newcomers typically haven't seen enough of SL to know how the economy works.  It's easy to get ripped off or just fall into a buying frenzy of excitement before you know what's going on.  As you might imagine, the limits also protect Linden Lab because they control how much risk they are taking with a newly established account.

• Like 1

Besides protecting you from going on a mad shopping binge, the initial purchase limits for $L are also intended to discourage "money laundering"...people buying large amounts of $L using a stolen credit card, then transferring them to another (or several) accounts and then back out to Real Life money with a Process Credit transaction.

Although it is frustrating, I would recommend you wait...maybe for as much as a few MONTHS...before spending a lot on a mesh body, head, and a closet full of mesh clothing.  There are three reasons for this advice.

1.  I agree with Rolig.  You need to have a very clear understanding of how SL works.  This level of understanding can only come with experience (no matter how much we helpers try to speed the process with classes, tutorials, mentoring and blog posts.)
  2.  There are new and improved mesh products being introduced almost weekly.  Two great resources that provide detailed product reviews are http://meshbodyaddicts.com/  and https://strawberrysingh.com/
  3.  Linden Lab will be introducing two major new functionalities sometime this year.  One is called "Animesh" and will provide the ability to animate mesh objects.  I don't know how that will be used by body and clothing creators, but I bet they will come up with some clever ideas.  The other is called "Bakes on Mesh" and will allow us to apply skin, tattoo, alpha masks, and even clothing layer textures to mesh body parts without the need for "appliers."  This will be a huge game changer.

With a little judicious bargain-hunting, you can assemble a very good looking avatar for under $20 USD.

• Like 1

Thank you both for your detailed answers.

I knew about the fraud protection reasons and the need to prevent money laundering, but I hadn't considered the new player protection angle, so thank you for that extra insight - I completely agree with it. If I am honest, I am considering asking if my limit could be lowered once the $1999 monthly limit kicks in, purely as a safeguard against rash over-spending.

For my avatar, I drew together a preliminary wish-list budget that came to the equivalent of $70. Partly through my own culling and with the advice of multiple experienced residents I halved that without any drop-off in quality; which unfortunately was still slightly over the limit. My avatar is still functional (and gorgeous), so I don't regret the purchase. At the same time, I don't imagine that most newcomers will spreadsheet out their entire planned avatar spending before buying a single L$, so I know that my experience was not typical.

The exact wording used by the customer service rep I spoke to implied that there could be steps between $30 and $1999 that will kick in during that first 30 days, but if that's not the case then I'll just need to be patient. Not necessarily a bad thing.

33 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

The exact wording used by the customer service rep I spoke to implied that there could be steps between $30 and $1999 that will kick in during that first 30 days, but if that's not the case then I'll just need to be patient. Not necessarily a bad thing.

yes it does raise faster than after 30 days...

i tried on a alt, yesterday( first day) it was 30 usd

today he already can spend  100.

(can't find the official schedule in the knowledge base... might be there somewhere)

Edited by Ethan Paslong

Just in case it wasn't clear, the 30 days is from the date of the first transaction not the date you started or any other date.  You limits do increase during those 30 days, but I cannot remember the schedule and I'm not sure it is published any more.  Just keep an eye on your limits page: https://accounts.secondlife.com/lindex/economic_limits

5 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

If I am honest, I am considering asking if my limit could be lowered once the $1999 monthly limit kicks in, purely as a safeguard against rash over-spending.

I'm not even sure if they would do this.  However, if you are not Premium, you can remove your payment method.  Or if the method is PayPal, you can revoke the authorization in PayPal.  There might even be a way to set a limit in PayPal.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

I think gating this through paypal is a better long-term solution for self control, as I only use it for minor purchases anyway. Thanks.

I'd just like to confirm what Ethan said, for the sake of anyone reading this in the future - my limit did get increased to $100 per 24 hours and per 30 day period, although for me it was after 48 hours from my first transaction. Problem solved! Thanks all for your help.

• Thanks 1

I made a alt because my other account is on hold i dont know why i sent a e mail to LL and recieved a ticket im  waiting we are now four weeks further but ím patient so i create a alt but know its very clear to me i bought some stuff on market place that was next week thats why i cant buy lindens anymore i have to wait 30 days for i can buy again lindens can it be that LL on hold my account because i buy to much stuff im a fashion victim in sl or is that silly i dont know what to think 

Edited by XeniaStargate

4 hours ago, XeniaStargate said:

I made a alt because my other account is on hold i dont know why i sent a e mail to LL and recieved a ticket im  waiting we are now four weeks further but ím patient so i create a alt but know its very clear to me i bought some stuff on market place that was next week thats why i cant buy lindens anymore i have to wait 30 days for i can buy again lindens can it be that LL on hold my account because i buy to much stuff im a fashion victim in sl or is that silly i dont know what to think 

if your account is on hold they are investigating suspicious behavior, that will not happen for just big shopping.

It's wiser not to spend money on your created alt. If LL decides there is a reason to ban your other account you'r not longer allowed to be on SL at all, in none account.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, XeniaStargate said:

lol i did nothing wrong so i cant be in SL anymore and its not my fault come on

You specifically said (see below) that you made an alt account because your account was on hold.  Accounts get put on hold for a reason and to create another account to try and get around it is against TOS.  You are lucky you haven't been permanently banned.

On 5/22/2018 at 5:53 AM, XeniaStargate said:

I made a alt because my other account is on hold 

• Like 1