seanabrady

Do you use the In-World Web Browser?

I have been hanging out on these forums a little more as of late. I am never really sure why I stop. But I thought to keep myself engaged I would pose up some questions of the day just to get some discussions flowing.

QOTD:  Do you use the built-in web browser in the viewer? Since Linden Lab upgraded the browser engine to the Chrome Embedded Framework (CEF) the browser has been far better at page renders and the speed has increased. It's still not perfect, but greatly improved. Do you use the browser?  What actions do you use it for?

• Like 1

Nope, never liked it. Why get a small screen-in-screen to navigate which renders fairly slowly when I can just open my browser on top and have plenty of space to navigate whilst saving a portion of the screen to let me keep an eye on my conversations window?

50 minutes ago, seanabrady said:

What actions do you use it for?

Well. Opening my proper external browser, in case I forgot to deactivate the internal one.

May I reverse the question? What's the point of using the internal browser at all?

I’ve used it... For various things, mostly for sharing inworld with a friend. Have shopped MP together, a few you-tubes, etc. (this is a browser-on-a-prim)

Overall it works ok... plus is sharing! Otherwise, if it’s just me... I’ll open a normal browser.

Just now, AviNews said:

sharing inworld with a friend.

Overall it works ok... plus is sharing! Otherwise, if it’s just me... I’ll open a normal browser.

ehm... sharing? how?

No, as I use FS and it takes ages there. ... Hell, even Media on a Prim is faster

Edited by Fionalein

Seems like I'm the only one that somewhat uses it or used to use it LOL. Back in my noob days I used it more often to surf MP, but now I only use it for specific things. For example, if someone posts a a gyazo of their gacha they're selling/trading, ill just load it in world since the speed isn't too slow for that. I do all my MP listings in world too since that doesn't take very long to load either and if someone links me something to MP, ill just look at it in world because why not? 

Edited by OnlyMon

So I do use the internal browser fairly often. I have a custom homepage setup with the links I use the most often. I mostly use it for accessing my RLV wardrobe and other specific Second Life things. IN large part the reason to use it is for immersion i guess?  Keep you in the viewer focused on the world? Its likely far more useful for someone with only a single monitor in that regard. 

I sometimes use it for a quick look at a single link like a Gyazo pic or mp listing in preference to adding to the jumble of tabs I have open on an external browser. For anything like an extensive mp search or googling building/creation topics I'll use one of my external browsers (I usually have at least a couple open for different purposes - work/leisure, specific projects, security etc).

No. I use external browsers because the in-client browser runs so slowly. I'll try and load a page in SL, get impatient, copy the url to Chrome then watch side by side. Chrome always beats the in-client viewer by a mile.

If you mean the browser that pops up when you click a link then no, it tends to load too slow (initial launch) so by the time it loads I can already open a separate browser and use that. If you are referring to MOAP then yes, I do use that occasionally but usually only because a script can display HTML via MOAP eg. to display a table of data.