Hi.

Whats going on here. i have an old linden avi because i'm scared of change. whenever i buy shoes they don't fit. or rather, my feet don't fit. this is in any type of shoe (maitreya, etc)

If you see the attached picture, my foot is much bigger than the shoe, its clearly been altered by the base but not to fit the shoe.  is this a problem with mesh shoes vs old feet or am i doing something wrong? please let me know as i have lots of shoes and future shoes that i'd like to wear but this happens!!

why?

thanks for your help.

Sarah

WrongShoes_001.png

Most modern shoes, certainly all strappy shoes, are designed to fit mesh feet, the main female fits being Slink and Maitreya, and they will not fit standard "system" feet. If you don't want to get a full mesh body, you could just buy mesh feet. The leading brand for stand-alone mesh feet is Slink, who sell feet in the the three popular heel heights of flat, medium, and high, as well as kitten and pointe. The shoes in the picture look like "high".

However, a set of Slink feet in the three main heights will set you back over 2,000 L$, which is not too far off the cost of a full mesh body. (I notice in the marketplace some much cheaper "Slink-compatible" feet, but it would be very difficult to get a good skin match with them.) These days most people who care about their appearance wear a mesh body, so it might be worth your while considering that option. If you do buy a mesh body, you would still have option of just using the feet while keeping the rest of your system body.

Edited by angeoco
  • Like 1

Maitreya, Slink, Belleza, TMP, and the like are all mesh body brands that have built-in heeled feet which shoes like these are created especially for. You need to look for the Classic Avatars logo on shoes if you intend to stick with your system avatar:

5979b9f038fdd_ClassicAvatarLogo.png.4540ca8ee6ab6ba3c16548148345c9d5.png

Unfortunately, it can be harder and harder to find system-compatible footwear, since the options for mesh feet are so good that many people have moved across to them now. Even in newbie places like The Free Dove, the vast majority of shoes are Slink or Maitreya only.

It's possible to buy the likes of Slink feet separately, and match skintones by hand (they also contain tattoo 'blend' layers so you can get a reasonably seamless match to your system skintone). You mainly only need the high-heeled feet (at a cost of, I think, L$600-something), since that's what the majority of footwear is made for.

• Like 1

Wow.  Thanks friends.

I knew the day would come when i had to move to mesh. i'm still resistant and may just go for mesh feet but i appreciate angeoco's comment that i may as well get a complete mesh avi. i'm just so used to this one.  Thanks so much for your help.

xxxx

sarah

Sticking your pure linden standartbody feet into shoes is a thing, that had already been abondon in 2010. Shoes that work that way are either old freebies or stuff from before that time. From around 2010 to 2013 the next type of shoe included a prim that looked like feet and the standart feet got hitten by an alpha layer.

Today none of that gets made anymore. Most people use attachable feet made with mesh. They are either sold seperatly or are included, when you buy a mesh body. They are designed to fit mesh feet. In your case: If the shoe says Maitreya, its meant to be worn with Maitreya mesh feet (which come with the mesh body). They will only fit that type of feet. Most shoe makers  produce shoes with variants for the most common mesh feet.

So you have two options:

1. Never purchase any shoes made today or in recent years, as none of them will fit and instead search for old prime shoes.

or

2. Get over your fear and get yourself some mesh feet.

• Like 1

For high heels, you pretty much have to have mesh feet these days.  Before I had a mesh body, I picked up a Slink compatible set (flat, mid, high) on the MarketPlace for pretty darn cheap.  I was able to get a decent match -- using the GetColor app, I think.   It is a viable option while you consider the mesh bodies out there and make decisions in that direction. 

Skell is correct in that the majority of women's heels are the 'high' feet ones.  However, as someone else mentioned, if you want the true full Slink set of feet, it is almost the cost of a full mesh body.

If you want to only wear flats and/or boots, you can still find versions of those inworld for classic feet, just not heels.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

I think the key to making the move to mesh is not to see it as change to be fearful of, but rather to see it as a new opportunity that's exciting. That goes for any kind of change in life, really.

It's going to get more and more difficult to find items that are system-compatible. Footwear, as we've discussed, is mostly rigged for mesh bodies now. And mesh clothing - while standard sizing and fitmesh are still out there - is increasingly being rigged for specific bodies. New skins are largely appliers only. You'll have to weigh up the amount of effort it will take to continue using a system avatar and finding new clothing and footwear that you both like and can wear, versus making the switch to a mesh avatar. That's your decision only to make, and I'm not going to try and sway you one way or the other.

While many people have made the leap to full-mesh (myself included, and you should have seen me b*tching about mesh heads in the days before Bento!), some are happy just to have mesh hands and feet, while others love their mesh body but refuse to get a mesh head because they feel that - in losing the face they have lived with for years - they will not feel like themselves.

I would say that, if you're at all anxious about making huge changes, just start with trying the demo of Slink's high heeled feet first of all. Pick up some demo heeled shoes for Slink High on the Marketplace, and see what you think of them together.

I watched as Lil (LittleMe, who is also posting in this thread) made the slow move toward a mesh body in baby steps like that: first with Slink-compatible feet, and then with a mesh body. Maybe one day she'll find a mesh head she feels comfortable with, and maybe she won't. But I'm pretty certain that she loves the options she now has for footwear and clothing that she didn't have with her system body.

I started out the same: Slink hands and feet first of all (but, obviously, the male versions), then a mesh body. And, finally, when Bento heads became available and I found a brand that I liked, I finally made the jump to a mesh head... all the while telling myself I would only wear it occasionally.

It's never come off since, unless I've been switching it for another head, because I now own... several :D

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I watched as Lil (LittleMe, who is also posting in this thread) made the slow move toward a mesh body in baby steps like that: first with Slink-compatible feet, and then with a mesh body. Maybe one day she'll find a mesh head she feels comfortable with, and maybe she won't. But I'm pretty certain that she loves the options she now has for footwear and clothing that she didn't have with her system body.

I have actually started chekcing out various mesh head demos. I can already tell it is going to be a very slow process. 

I do much prefer the clothing options now that I have a mesh body.  I hated the mesh standard and fitted sizes that never ever really fit right on the classic body, but had no options for tweaking the alpha section.  I was one of those adamently in the camp of "I do not want to modify my body for clothes".

I will say though that I understand the OP feelings about change.  That is likely why it is taking me so long to go to a mesh head - because it will change my look (though I have done that myself a bit over the years).  Truthfully, if I hadn't been gifted the mesh body, it likely would have taken me another 6 months to get there - or at least another 3-4 months. 

Yes, it IS time.

However spending $2000 for Slink feet (as quoted above, I have no idea on the cost)is really silly IMHO. 

You can get free Slink compatible feet (mid and high -- flat is a bit iffy) in the eBODY avatar.  You CAN if you so choose (those baby steps) JUST wear the feet and a foot alpha layer. This would work with pants but not skirts of course. 

So personally I suggest trying out the $1 eBody FREE (classic or curvy but many more clothes fit classic). You may find you LOVE it. The free version has no applier capabilities (so no tattoos) but it comes with a wide variety of skin tones. 

A good starting place.

You may decide to stick with eBody (actually a "healthier" looking body IMHO) or go for Maitreya (the standard). But it will only cost you a linden to try things out --- better than many demos with DEMO written all over LOL.   You need to join the free group also.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Coral Island/222/160/2002

• Like 2

To help in the foot decision making process I suggest checking out Moonstar.  They include classic avatar compatibility in their outfits whenever they can, but if you look at their mesh foot shoes vs. the classic alternatives, you'll notice the classic shoes are always much simpler.  The toes are hidden, the heel isn't as high, and they're nowhere near as glamorous.  Also they give out free stuff a lot so I go there a lot anyways.  Just pop into the in-world store and look at any classic vs. mesh avatar shoe selections and you'll want mesh feet.

In this day you really need mesh feet as a minimum upgrade in a choice between Slink and Maitreya feet (the main available standalone feet) i would get Slink as they have the largest range of footwear available and if you ever decide further down the track the Maitreya body is for you the feet are included and will with some adjustments work with system foot shoes. If the official Slink feet are out of your price range and you want fully compatible feet i would recommend you try Similar feet the three most popular foot styles are included for less than the cost of a single Slink style. As to the feet in the eBody they are meant to be Slink compatible however i've used them on an alt with freebie Slink fit shoes and couldn't escape skin poking through

For the longest time i was hesitant to get a mesh body needing to go skin shopping was my barrier but so glad i did it knowing what i know now actually wish i'd done it sooner as i also prefer the available clothing options and was also in the no body mod camp i was fine with boob size adjustment anything more was a deal breaker if there wasn't a wearable size which was quite common it would get tossed. I think the hardest body part to shop for is a head and i can understand why people want to stay with their system head if you've spent years being used to your head looking a certain way it's not easy to find a head that perfectly replicates 'you' i've demoed a few heads managed to find one 'me' enough i eventually want to buy

I think the hardest body part to shop for is a head and i can understand why people want to stay with their system head if you've spent years being used to your head looking a certain way it's not easy to find a head that perfectly replicates 'you' i've demoed a few heads managed to find one 'me' enough i eventually want to buy

This is so true about finding a mesh head!  I have a Bento "Dante" body, hands, and feet, however, I have had a really hard time finding a head that works well.   Any advice on finding a bento compatible head would be appreciated!

• Like 1

I have been using Similar feet for a long time, I also have feet by Vlad Blackburn but only the high feet, not sure about the other feet from Vlad. And I think there are more besides those, should be easy to search for. I believe Lucyshoes has feet that are compatible too, try a demo, but lots of ways to save money on feet.

i feel your pain. I've returned after 8 years and frankly, I'm none too impressed with mesh bodies.  I've bought a few short skirts because they actually look good.  Everything else... not so much. 

What I've been doing so far is using custom alpha layers to make things work.  That, coupled with some careful shopping and judicious use of shape adjustments, does the job for me.  I'll start to ponder a mesh body when I feel like taking the time to redraw my skin for the new UVMap AND when the designers get their act together with some sort of standardization.

Just to record that the reason your system feet look like the hard end of a club-hammer is that the 'shoebase' for those mesh shoes sets the sliders for the feet to extreme positions.  If you had the mesh feet that it expects you to have, the feet's alpha would make those club-feet invisible.  The EFFECT of the club feet is to position the shoes at exactly the right place  to rig so the sole is on the ground - and they are usually wrong - so you will have to play with the hover anyway.

But don't delay, follow the advice and go mesh.  I invested in Maitreya, and have never regretted it.  Not so sure about the mesh head, that's an entirely different equation.

Edited by anna2358
error

Change is hard. It is the one thing that we are all resistant to, whether we like it or not, because it is based on fear. Also, change can cost a pretty penny when you start diving in to mesh heads, bodies, etc. There is an array of choices, so trying on demos first is a good thing.  Everyone will have their favorite bodies and heads they recommend, and honestly, don't expect to just have one. I have .. far too many probably! But, it has allowed me to let go of that fear of change, and embrace the possibilities :)  Learning new things can be fun and you might end up with something you like more than with what you started. At least your shoes will fit, right?

On 4/30/2018 at 9:32 AM, Jameson2001 said:

I think the hardest body part to shop for is a head and i can understand why people want to stay with their system head if you've spent years being used to your head looking a certain way it's not easy to find a head that perfectly replicates 'you' i've demoed a few heads managed to find one 'me' enough i eventually want to buy

This is so true about finding a mesh head!  I have a Bento "Dante" body, hands, and feet, however, I have had a really hard time finding a head that works well.   Any advice on finding a bento compatible head would be appreciated!

who is the maker for the body?

33 minutes ago, Tess Falworth said:

who is the maker for the body?

"Dante" is listed as a body coming from Altamura. So I'd boldly assume that one of the Altamura heads might be worth a try.

It seems to feature Omega support, so at least there are some skin options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Dante" is listed as a body coming from Altamura. So I'd boldly assume that one of the Altamura heads might be worth a try.

It seems to feature Omega support, so at least there are some skin options

Thanks Lillith, I have been to the store but not found a head that i like, however, matching the skin does seem to be an important priority so I will go back and see what I can find.  Hey, if I figured out how to shop for mesh clothes and look halfway decent I should be able to find a nice head to match:}

I just got the Maitreya Lara 4.1 and (after a bunch of super confusing trials) seem to have it installed in an outfit. Question: I walk barefoot most of the time. The feet are at an angle for high-heeled shoes. How do I change the foot angle?

11 minutes ago, Rhiannon108 said:

I just got the Maitreya Lara 4.1 and (after a bunch of super confusing trials) seem to have it installed in an outfit. Question: I walk barefoot most of the time. The feet are at an angle for high-heeled shoes. How do I change the foot angle?

Wear your Maitreya hud, go to the third tab, you will see 3 types of feet so click the flat foot one! You're welcome; lol. :) 

I think I'm wearing the hud. When I click on it, there are no tabs. The buttons say: clear, help, debug, gloves, re-apply, socks, and cancel.

16 minutes ago, Rhiannon108 said:

I think I'm wearing the hud. When I click on it, there are no tabs. The buttons say: clear, help, debug, gloves, re-apply, socks, and cancel.

You want section that says: skins & options and is 3 pictures of feet there.