Dishonesty in land listings.

Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Following a long search for suitable mainland recently, I'm sharing some of the most egregious BS used to try and talk up mainland parcels for sale.

A plot in the ocean surrounded by "floating" houses / prim ground isn't water front.

A plot bordering a void where a region should be isn't protected or ocean.

A plot half way up a mountain doesn't have an ocean view when the neighboring land sim doesn't rez.

A plot surrounded by abandoned land isn't "Linden protected" nor does it offer "excellent privacy".

A 16sqm road side plot isn't a "prim opportunity" (although this was one of my favorites).

A 4m wide strip on the side of a mountain with a prim sticking out like a pirate ships plank, does not offer a "wonderful view".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Following a long search for suitable mainland recently, I'm sharing some of the most egregious BS used to try and talk up mainland parcels for sale.

A plot in the ocean surrounded by "floating" houses / prim ground isn't water front.

A plot half way up a mountain doesn't have an ocean view when the neighboring land sim doesn't rez.

A plot surrounded by abandoned land isn't "Linden protected" nor does it offer "excellent privacy".

A 16sqm road side plot isn't a "prim opportunity" (although this was one of my favorites).

A 4m wide strip on the side of a mountain with a prim sticking out like a pirate ships plank, does not offer a "wonderful view".

I LOVED this LOL, reading in the middle of the typist's night. Yep.

Recently I replied to someone  who was looking forward to checking out "a mainland island" and seeing the 2048 long distance views.  The land of course wasn't actually an island although it looked a bit like one on the map. Details don't matter but I pointed that out in my reply -- mostly for folks that were new and would honestly be confused.  

The land seller came back, pulling out a few many years old bad reviews (all on one product and all by a competitor) and basically insulting my credibility. Honestly? What about all the five star reviews? They weren't mentioned.  Happily I actually laughed as they went on and on about "me" when for most sane folks the thread was the same theme as YOUR thread here.  

I have the free group 4096 now and plan to stay there a long while but I still like "shopping" mainland as it is always a true adventure.  And now and then I find some exceptional bargains. 

I hope you enjoyed your time shopping and had a few laughs along the way. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Would you consider this a "protected ocean view" and if not what do you consider it to be?

1 hour ago, CoffeeDujour said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA what!

Edited by Hintswen Guardian

1 hour ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

Would you consider this a "protected ocean view" and if not what do you consider it to be?

It's possible for people to attach a sim onto mainland where there is void. It's US$500 to the lab to do it for 10 regions.

Protected needs to be a Linden channel or road or full sim.

Some of my land has "ocean views" (i.e. you can see it if you squint and look between two neighbouring AFK adult places...). I'm tripling the price now I know that's an option! ;) 

Whenever anyone describes their land as "amazing" "excellent" or "has ocean views" I don't even bother checking it out. 

Give me: price, size, rating and a SLURL. That's all I'm after as it's not hard to spot the lie to false advertising by simply visiting so I wish people would stop exaggerating. 

I gave up on the land seaching via inworld search or the forum ads - it is like listening to a used car salesman trying to make all the defects sound like wonderful features (kinda like bugs).  I'm going the route of randomly clicking on areas of the map that I like, looking for the ones that say 'abandoned', and then going to investigate the location.  When I find something that seems perfect "for me", then I'll put in a ticket to LL to see if I can get it.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

About 5 years ago I was helping a friend look for a madlands parcel, and I found a 2/3's sim plot over on the west coast of one of the continents...

It boasted that its slightly excessive price was due to markups for...

Protected Ocean View (Edge of the world unless somebody sticks a new sim there, again)

LL Protected Road access (the road ran right through the middle of the flat part of the parcel, cutting it in two and preventing a lot of the larger buildings)

Scenic Landscaping (half of it was on the side of one of those un-flattenable mountains that are a pain to build on unless you like stilts)

And last, and my favorite...

"Only 2 sims by road from the Philip Linden Memorial Sports Center!"

Actually it's 3 sims by road, south 1, then 2 west, but hey let's lie and pretend you can walk across a corner without entering the southern sim, and so get to the abandoned ruins of the home of the 2004 SLOlympics (traffic figures ZERO)...

Place would have been ideal for building two rows of tiny shops, sandwiched between some decking looking out over the Ocean of Limbo, and the underside if the stilted built cottages on the side of the mountain, one of those 'Mixed use' developments nobody ever wants to shop or live in.

Bloody useless for somebody wanting to build a single large structure with an almost square footprint though. Certainly wasn't worth the 5 or 6 L$ a sqm that was asked for.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Why do people rez 'prim land' and put buildings on water land where there is so much actual land out there?

I had one of these about 2 years ago - perfectly good plot in the middle of the water. Neighbor puts up prim land and a series of buildings. I put a 20m tall brick wall between us. Put the water back or talk to the wall. A few months later the person abandoned their plot. I got water back.

The 16m plot is 'prim land' to give you more prims, so they're not fully incorrect there - just worded oddly.

50 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Protected Ocean View (Edge of the world unless somebody sticks a new sim there, again)

LL Protected Road access (the road ran right through the middle of the flat part of the parcel, cutting it in two and preventing a lot of the larger buildings)

Scenic Landscaping (half of it was on the side of one of those un-flattenable mountains that are a pain to build on unless you like stilts)

Bloody useless for somebody wanting to build a single large structure with an almost square footprint though. Certainly wasn't worth the 5 or 6 L$ a sqm that was asked for.

I've paid as much as 15L /sqm for land like that. Cliffside is a rare and precious thing. And protected roads are great.

It actually sounds IDEAL for avoiding having one of those neighbors that rezzes a single giant flat structure blighting the region. :P

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

8 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

The 16m plot is 'prim land' to give you more prims, so they're not fully incorrect there - just worded oddly.

Yes but in most cases that 16m plot would put people in the next tier level so it would be VERY expensive overall :D.    But agree that one wasn't really dishonest, just "spinning". 

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

Yes but in most cases that 16m plot would put people in the next tier level so it would be VERY expensive overall :D.    But agree that one wasn't really dishonest, just "spinning". 

True. But one of the big headaches of land is that land barons sell it in divisions of 512m, when tier is actually in divisions of 560m (or more correctly; 1.1(512*X) - that 10% bonus). So I'm often looking around for some tiny plots after I buy a spot...

53 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

True. But one of the big headaches of land is that land barons sell it in divisions of 512m, when tier is actually in divisions of 560m (or more correctly; 1.1(512*X) - that 10% bonus). So I'm often looking around for some tiny plots after I buy a spot...

Understand, that but not THAT many people actually use (or even understand that group bonus) OR want to make alts in order to GET that bonus LOL.   

My group used its "new" bonus prims and bought a 512 and reduced it to a 400 and now it is free -- and a couple of folks have a nice shop right on a well maintained cobblestone road. But if you don't HAVE extra tier as in a single premium person -- then you would end up paying $4 a month for that 16 meter spot with only a very few extra prims (assuming it was in the same sim of course). 

On 4/30/2018 at 7:34 AM, Pussycat Catnap said:

Why do people rez 'prim land' and put buildings on water land where there is so much actual land out there?

Buying the water at the edge of the region or adjacent to protected land ensures you will always have that view/access to that water. Buying the actual land further back means you need to also buy the water in front and pay tier for it to ensure you cannot be blocked in.

Edited by Hintswen Guardian

On 29/04/2018 at 11:06 AM, CoffeeDujour said:

A plot surrounded by abandoned land isn't "Linden protected"

Where my home is i'm starting to believe that it's actually true xD given the number of years the majority of the sim has been abandoned, to the front of my plot i look out over a Linden protected land sim to my back and side i look out over "Linden Protected" abandoned land hehe

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.