Posters

SweeneyLovett

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am new to Second Life and just got my house. I've been trying to find help with hanging posters. I try to drag it to the wall or just drag it out and I can't do that. I go to a sandbox to try and pull it out and I can't do that. I right click and open and it opens the picture. There's no way that I can find to drag them out. When I try to drag it it gives me a small lock icon when I get to the wall. I've searched tutorials and most other places and I just can't find a solution. I would appreciate the help, thank you. I've included a pic of the wall I'm trying to hang it on.

Screenshot (32).png

2 answers to this question

Because it is a texture.

Rez a box (a prim) make it flat and all but one side invisible and add the texture to the box (as easy as dragging it on the box)

... however be carefull with "no copy" textures... they are "one use"

Welcome to SL btw.

If you didn't understand a word what I said... that's kinda normal at start, the learning curve in SL is steep. In that case go to one of the newbie gateways and ask around if somone can explain to you on how to bring a texture in world.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

Hi Sweeney!  Fiona is right.

What you need to understand is the difference between "objects" and "textures".  An object is something that can exist in the 3D world...a car, a house, a tree, or a framed painting hanging on the wall.  In your inventory, all objects have the same symbol...a little cube.

A texture is a two-dimensional image, a picture.  For example, if you take a photo in RL and put it on your computer, you can SEE it...but you cannot pick it up off the screen and hand it to someone.

To be able to do that...to make the photo exist in real life so you can touch it or hang it on the wall...the image, the texture, must be applied to an object.  In this case, the object would be a piece of paper, and you'd apply the photo texture with a printer.

It's the same in Second Life.  You can double click a texture and it will open on your screen, but to bring it in world, you have to apply it to an object.  Fiona has described the procedure for doing this. 

In fact, you are very lucky that you have NOT been able to do anything by dragging your texture and dropping it in your house.  A lot of people have done this, and if you can modify the house, the texture will be spread over the ENTIRE WALL, or floor, or the whole darn house.  When dragging textures around, be darn careful where you drop them!  Here's what may possibly be a safer way.

1.  Create the object that will be your poster.
  2. Select the object, and in the Edit window click the button "Select Face"
  3.  Click the face of the object you want to apply the texture to.  It should become highlighted.
  4.  In the Texture tab of the Edit window, there are two little squares.  One will be a plywood sort of color.  That's the Texture window.
  5.  Drag your texture from your inventory and drop it into that space.  Or, you can use the Texture tab to browse to the texture in your inventory and select it that way.
  6.  That object face, and that face ONLY, should now be covered with your texture.
  7.  Click the Full Bright button in the Texture tab too, so people can see your poster at any time of day (or not, if you don't want to.)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.