privacy

BetaSecond

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would have to say it would depend on what it is you are wanting to do, If you are wanting your own personal sand box to create and develop in SL and keep others out so they do not "spy" on  you. Your best choice is to get a SIM like a homestead. You can limit access to JUST you or allow special group access. You can do the same with renting a partial SIM also from any one of the land agencies in SL. If it is just to have a home spot and to change clothes, and unbox  your inworld purchases look into a preferred member account

Depending on what you're doing that you don't want to be seen, you could rent a parcel of land from a company that gives you permission to set privacy. This way you can set it so that only you can enter, and so that nobody can see or hear your avatar, or if you were to be on voice. That being said, if you're rezzing things out, this will not work. You COULD, in that instance, perhaps consider getting a skybox and set it in the air.  

2 hours ago, Roary McGillivary said:

I would have to say it would depend on what it is you are wanting to do, If you are wanting your own personal sand box to create and develop in SL and keep others out so they do not "spy" on  you. Your best choice is to get a SIM like a homestead. You can limit access to JUST you or allow special group access. You can do the same with renting a partial SIM also from any one of the land agencies in SL. If it is just to have a home spot and to change clothes, and unbox  your inworld purchases look into a preferred member account

53 minutes ago, norajulian said:

Depending on what you're doing that you don't want to be seen, you could rent a parcel of land from a company that gives you permission to set privacy. This way you can set it so that only you can enter, and so that nobody can see or hear your avatar, or if you were to be on voice. That being said, if you're rezzing things out, this will not work. You COULD, in that instance, perhaps consider getting a skybox and set it in the air.  

More like just changing my avatar because of my…fetishes…

So my first recommendation is to get over it. 1) just pixels, 2) SL is filled with people who have the same or similar fetishes.  If you want privacy get some land, set it to no access and amke it so people cannot see in. Best you can do. Its pretty easy. No need to get a full homestead or anything.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BetaSecond said:

One time thing, or something you plan to do a lot?

If it's a long time thing you can become premium you are entitled to 1024 sqm of free land. That will allow you to have a place only for you. Paying a year up front means the true cost is actually tiny, as most of the payment comes back as L$300 each Tuesday.

On the access tab you turn off "everyone can access" and you also turn off "people on other parcels can see me" et voila, you have a private space in SL only you can use.

If it's one time shoot me an IM in world and I will let you hide inside one of my mainland parcels for a few hours.

25 minutes ago, BetaSecond said:

Honestly for that YES if you can afford it, it is worth becoming a premium member. Besides as a premium member you get some perks its worth it. You can have a place to rez, change, log in and out of without having to fight crowded places. I've had my premium place for 5 years now Love it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

One time thing, or something you plan to do a lot?

If it's a long time thing you can become premium you are entitled to 1024 sqm of free land. That will allow you to have a place only for you. Paying a year up front means the true cost is actually tiny, as most of the payment comes back as L$300 each Tuesday.

On the access tab you turn off "everyone can access" and you also turn off "people on other parcels can see me" et voila, you have a private space in SL only you can use.

If it's one time shoot me an IM in world and I will let you hide inside one of my mainland parcels for a few hours.

I actually want to have a place to change & hide, so yeah, Long time.

10 minutes ago, Roary McGillivary said:

Honestly for that YES if you can afford it, it is worth becoming a premium member. Besides as a premium member you get some perks its worth it. You can have a place to rez, change, log in and out of without having to fight crowded places. I've had my premium place for 5 years now Love it. 

The question is how to afford it, & I'm a practical person, so I don't spend RL money often in a online game...

1 minute ago, BetaSecond said:

I actually want to have a place to change & hide, so yeah, Long time.

The question is how to afford it, & I'm a practical person, so I don't spend RL money often in a online game...

for aprox 10 USD a month and you want it long term? it is worth it for what you are wanting. 

Well, besides the premium Linden Home, more space for fetish related groups might also come in handy. ^_^

It sounds as if you don't own any land. But if you do, the option to blend out avatars for outsiders eyes - "Avatars on other parcel can see and chat..." -  is here:

4872969e1909736deb773dfefd4a4365.png

EDIT:

so I don't spend RL money often in a online game...

Oh. What game are you playing?

Edited by Lillith Hapmouche

1 hour ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Well, besides the premium Linden Home, more space for fetish related groups might also come in handy. ^_^

It sounds as if you don't own any land. But if you do, the option to blend out avatars for outsiders eyes - "Avatars on other parcel can see and chat..." -  is here:

4872969e1909736deb773dfefd4a4365.png

EDIT:

Oh. What game are you playing?

I did say that I didn't do it, often...

besides I don't really have an RL Job...

3 minutes ago, BetaSecond said:

It sounds as if you don't own any land. But if you do, the option to blend out avatars for outsiders eyes - "Avatars on other parcel can see and chat..." -  is here

Two things(bugs) to remember about parcel privacy:

[#BUG-4356] Parcel privacy settings hides accounts within the parcel from the outside, but avatars within the private parcel can see avatars two sims away.

[#BUG-37601] Parcel privacy only works as expected when at least one agent is on the parcel ban list

• Like 2

Long before the parcel privacy feature existed I realized it was very easy to have privacy by simply creating two distinct builds on my land.

At ground you build an 'attractive nuissance' plot (that's a term in the law for property that attracts trespassers - coined as a result of places that children would wander onto to 'explore' and then get injured). Basically you build something nice to look at, that lightly invites people to take a look around for a short while, and then move on.

In the sky you rez your actual 'home' spot for doing all your stuff and being alone or whatever. And by sky I mean somewhere above 2000 or even above 3000m. Way up there where nobody will be unless they are intentionally going to see you.

It dramatically cuts down unwanted intrusions. They have something more interesting down at the ground - that you yourself can also go down an enjoy at your leisure (ideally set it up to be good for entertaining casual guests).

In the skybox... put it inside a solid wall, put a 0-second no warning security orb up there set to be sized just a little bit smaller than the wall (so no one ever hits it by accident), and then set the parcel privacy.

(I use a single mesh cube as my wall. It can be invisible or not - what it does is prevent people on vehicles from being accidentally hit by my security orb. They just bounce off the wall harmlessly. In my case on the outside I put a texture so they know it's there, and from the inside it's invisible so I can see out. If I had a skybox near other people, I would leave the outside invisible to avoid harming their view... but I always intentionally put my skyboxes more than 500m away from anyone else. If people later move close to them, that's their problem.)

Leave banlines OFF... putting them on actually invites people to be offended by you, and then bother you - because banlines cause so many disruptions to different things in SL... and they only work for the first 40m above ground... so even if you live at ground, you will end up with an army of outraged people floating 41m above your head...

Leaving them OFF makes you look 'harmless and ignorable'...

- People wander into the spot at ground, and rarely ever bother you up there in the sky.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

Group your land, then set the land to "group only". The group can consist of just you and your alt.

You can also uncheck "avatars can see me," and then no one can see you at all, you're invisible.

But if you want to prevent physical entry, you just check off the "group only" access. Or you make a list of avatars allowed on the parcel, and put only yourself in it.

This is if you buy land.

Some rentals agents will let you put "ban all" or "access only" to your group or list, so you can do that as well.

Most mainland areas are so quiet that you'll rarely see someone even if you're standing on the ground in plain sight. I wouldn't worry too much that people will be sneaking a look at a skybox. The big issue here is not wanting to use money to cover land for a skybox, because you're not going to get land for free. You can pay for SL with things you do in SL though, so that's an option to consider.

48 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

Most mainland areas are so quiet that you'll rarely see someone even if you're standing on the ground in plain sight. I wouldn't worry too much that people will be sneaking a look at a skybox. The big issue here is not wanting to use money to cover land for a skybox, because you're not going to get land for free. You can pay for SL with things you do in SL though, so that's an option to consider.

I guess if you do not want to pay with your money from RL than you have to get a SL job and earn it that way to pay for a private place, BUT there is also finding that one person to friend and that will offer to let you use their inworld home in SL. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.