BetaSecond

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK, I wanted to make a skirt/dress for my avatar(Don't ask), but I'm having trouble getting it to work.  It was supposed to be based on the image I added to this post, but with the front parted.  I need some help with this.  Can anyone help me, please?

Macha.jpg

• 1 month later...

First, the picture doesn’t show it but, Macha has no legs to ‘stand’ on, so I can see where you’re coming from with the stretched flower look.

second, what is the difference between a Prim skirt & a mesh? Because I…don’t know what those are…

Prim stands for a parameter based object named Primitive. A primitive is a base object like a cube, sphere, cone, etc. They are built into the viewer. Press Ctrl-B to open the build panel and see the available prims. A prim's list of vertices is part of the viewer. The shape rendered depends on the attributes - parameters of the object and those are downloaded to the viewer. For a cube parameters are the X,Y,Z dimensions, color, twists, cuts, etc.

A mesh object is a type of prim too. But, its list of vertices is NOT built into the viewer. We simply refer to those prims as mesh to distinguish them from the early prims built into the viewer.

Mesh items have a list of vertices made in a 3D modeling program, Blender, Maya, something... The list or mesh as we call it is uploaded as a Collada file. We can make it any shape we want.

Prim skirts could mean the system skirt or more likely they mean a combination of pants texture and prims. Some new dresses still use prims because they have a flexible attribute not possible with mesh. So, if the skirt swishes or moves in the wind, it is a prim skirt. Wild Orchid makes prim-applier gowns, Awesome. 

I don't have any pictures of a prim skirt. Short mini-skirts usually have a flap front and back to imitate clothe stretching across the legs. The flap us usually visible as it is a pain to get a color match.

Mesh skirts are more flexible and form fitting. Almost always one piece. They are immune to wind and swishing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.