Making custom skins?

DeadFoxTails

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So, I want to earn some L$. I have a pretty good knowledge of art and 2d programs, and have made skins for other things. And I know lots of people want custom furry skins, but I have no idea how to make them.

So my questions are as follows:

Am I allowed to make custom skins in exchange for L$?

Do I need a shop for this?

How much does a shop cost?

If someone wants a skin for a certain avatar, do I have to buy it, or can they provide me the skin file to edit?

And lastly, how do I make skins?

Sorry for all the stupid newbie questions.

1 answer to this question

25 minutes ago, DeadFoxTails said:

Am I allowed to make custom skins in exchange for L$?

Yes most mesh producers even provide you with some tools for it (and of course you are allowed for the basic avi)

Be sure to read those licenses (red because it cannot be said often enough sadly, believe me, Deadfox, even if you do it, someone else will read my answer and skip this, I can bet on it) when creating for 3rd party meshes, it's not so easy there, what parts of their provided tools/exampels you are allowed to use in your creations... 

Do I need a shop for this?

No, you can just do custom jobs too...

How much does a shop cost?

If you only have an MP one, nothing it only costs a percentage of each sold items, so fare there's no cost for opening one or keeping it online(not sure anymore, maybe you must have verified payment info in file in order to open it), the others will cost rent/tier depending on your prim usage and space requireements...

If someone wants a skin for a certain avatar, do I have to buy it, or can they provide me the skin file to edit?

Some shops have devkits but you might still need ot get the avi of you want to check it... I would definatelly go for owning the avi (most humans use the UV map of the SL classic body though, you might get away with not owning them... usually that might mean that lip, eybrows and nipples can turn up slightly off though)

And lastly, how do I make skins?

for classic: upload all 3 textures (head, upper body, lower body) and create a new skin, shove textures there, tada

for mesh: shove textures into applier toolkit

can all be a bit confusing, start looking here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Texture_Tools

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.