Group Liability

GalagherxSmith

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

No, but you can. Just open your Transaction History (on your dashboard at secondlife.com >>> Account) and look to see which group you are paying. Group liability is your proprtional share of the group's expenses for maintaining a listing in Search or placing classified ads or whatever. In some groups, the owners decide to pay those costs themselves. In many others the costs are divided equally, so that nobody pays more than a few pennies a week. If you don't want to pay your fair share, try talking to an owner or just leave the group.

• Like 2

I would add that in many cases, I don't think it IS fair for group members to "pay their fair share".  This setting is on BY DEFAULT for all group roles when a group is created, and a lot of group owners don't even know it...it's located way at the tail end of the group role settings.  There's a potential upside though.  If this ability is enabled for group members, and the group owns land, then when the land is sold the proceeds are divided up equally among those group members.  This has proved to be a very unwelcome surprise for some group owners!

So, don't feel bad about talking with your group owner about this.  They may be perfectly willing to change this setting for you.

17 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

This setting is on BY DEFAULT for all group roles when a group is created,

I believe that was changed a while ago.  The default now seems to be just owners from the last land group I made to show in search.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.