Miko Chiuh

Seeking: Medieval Fantasy Roleplay for Children

Hello everyone :)

I've been wanting to start roleplaying again but sadly I couldn't find a fantasy medieval roleplay sim that allows child avatars. 
Even though I do understand the reason behind this, I'd still like to play a child or young character. Do you have any suggestions maybe?
I'd just love to play a little faun character that is an apprentice of some sort. 

Thank you so much for your help <3

Edited by Miko Chiuh

How do you search? I think there are quite a bunch... you might start looking at shops that do fantasy costumes for kids, often fantasy costume designers ahve LMs to their favourite RP sims in store

Sent you an Forum Message with some LMs, be sur eo asloc heck out Fantasy Faire, and if you run into a kid avi there try politely asking (that's what I would do) ;)

I'm like to see more of this as well. All the shop I know have little information about roleplaying options, and I continually see child and teen avatars being marginalized in Fantasy due to Gor and sex.

On 25.4.2018 at 8:59 PM, Fionalein said:

Sent you an Forum Message with some LMs, be sure to also check out Fantasy Faire, and if you run into a kid avi there try politely asking (that's what I would do) ;)

6 minutes ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

... and teen avatars being marginalized in Fantasy due to Gor and sex.

na, just look at the fantasy sims that don't do Gor ;) 

Pro Hint: use meters as orientation

"gorean meter" -> well obviously Gorean RP 

Ultima Maxim, Spellfire, DCS, MCS and many more-> Medieval Fantasy Roleplay

Edited by Fionalein

How do you find a role play sim thats active? I went to several Fantasy sims last night that Secondlife suggests on the destination guild and they all seemed dead........

On 25 April 2018 at 7:36 PM, Miko Chiuh said:

sadly I couldn't find a fantasy medieval roleplay sim that allows child avatars. 
Even though I do understand the reason behind this, I'd still like to play a child or young character. Do you have any suggestions maybe?

Kid: "hewwo mister"

Uruk #1: "Wor r dis?"

Uruk #2: "Dis r lunch arrivin..."

Uruk #1: "Food's up lads"

Uruk #4: "I ain't eatin no hoomie kids"

Uruk #1: "Wot? U goin all soft on hoomies? Hahaha!"

Uruk #4: "Nah, I not eatin dem cos dey r bland tastin, greasy an high in... *strains in concentration* cholesterol, wot makin dem an unhealthy menu option, gotta maintainin my... *concentrates again* cardio-vascular health for fightin an dat"

Goblin: "Hah dat sounds like you caught teh  GAY! Hahahaha... *swish thunk* Arghhh..."

Uruk #4: "Lean meat, well aged, ok lads heart healthy bbq at firepit two"

Uruk #2: "So, hoomie kids... Hmmm, Garlic and rocksalt? Slow roasted on a spit?"

Uruk #1: "Soundin good to me"

Kid: "Ummm... Maybe coming here wasn't such a good idea..."

• Haha 4

This raises a very fair point ... animosity towards child avatars in a role play setting might just start in murder.

Unfortunately your (our) options are incredibly limited.

If you are looking for in depth para-rp then you're basically out of luck in my experience. I have been searching for months. 

I used to frequent Mystara, then that closed. Mysts of Eyr lacked something to me - perhaps the jungle theme, maybe because the original regulars split. Chronicles of Lynnea opened and USED to welcome kids. I was there until they closed. 

Song of Silverwind faced the same issue. Low activity, allowed kids, but eventually closed. 

I tried out Conquest of Elysium for quite a few months. Made some friends, got to have a good taste of real fantasy rp - Sim recently closed. I heard Lynnea was reopening on the 10th of May and I waited day after day for it, eagerly excited to get to rp one of my favorite characters who I havent been able to play in months..and I found out today they are now an adult Sim and child characters are not allowed. They took a vote and majority voted against allowing us. Someone in charge even said "I didn't know there was even interest in children characters in fantasy sims, I never see them".

You never see us because we are always banned from rp sims... And on the rare occasion we aren't banned we are usually ignored, shunned, or tiptoed around until they can leave the scene. 

Currently, Revenland is the only remaining fantasy Sim that allows a kids that I have seen. However most rp there is lackluster to me. Many of the stereotypical "rp dragons as just big kitties" kinda people, people who don't follow the etiquette of meta gaming / post orders / etc, and just too laid back and not enough structure. My 2 cents. Beggars can't be choosers sometimes. 

On the other hand, missing mile / world of soap is a supernatural urban rp that allows kids and has very lax rules regarding them. Just the usual "no kids in sexual situations " stuff.  (did I seriously get censored over the word for that?) 

--

I have been saving a list of sims over the course of searching for months..

Here's what I've found so far including those that doesn't allow kids, themes ranging from supernatural to modern to fantasy. If you find anything I didn't list here that allows kids then I'm all ears. 

--

Does not allow child avatars:

Alteria

Shades of Immortality

Pendilor

Comraich

Coal Creek

The Last Stop (Hollow Creek)

Alderheim

Unnatural

Toxian City

Santa Ramona

Abberation

Whiskey City

Farspire

Chronicles of Lynnea 

Outbreak 

Dead sim/low traffic/Uninterested:

Sylvhara tari

Xeyal Cirok

Avillion

Bellshore

The Hive & Racoon City

Potential:

Aberdeen (community / modern) 

Woodland County (community / modern) 

Liberty bay (community / modern. Several sims, people spread out.. Many in homes 24/7 or clique ish, a lot of lax ic/ooc mixing.

Crack den (modern, dark themes, won't get much rp as a younger kid. Older kid / teen restricted but it's rp at least) 

Community based not RP:

Orchard Heights

Ahgimak Family RP community

Woodland Hills 

Cedar creek (? Most people seem to not emote much here.) 

Edited by Silachan Rain

Necroing the thread but would rather do that than start a completely new one. 

In my own experience Role-playing as a child is incredibly challenging for a number of reasons. I play a ten-year-old boy Tweenster avatar and the main obstacle is that there seems to be an outright ban on children, even when in many instances children would definitely fit into the world in question. This is especially apparent the more removed you become from modern times. 

The problem for sim owners is that if they allow children then this puts adults off, and if they don't then obviously kids will have to stay out of the way: if you try to cater to both you seem to lose both for differing reasons. 

The next obstacle is attire. RP sims understandably want their players to adhere to the dress code. Now this isn't a problem for modern RP (not really RP at all) but is a major obstacle for space and medieval/fantasy RP and practically an impossibility for ancient Greece / Rome. It's a vicious circle; kids don't have the correct dress to RP so they don't and because kids don't get to RP creators don't produce clothing for them and because kids don't have the correct attire......

So if you want to RP as a kid you're pretty much limited to Mischief Managed (Harry Potter) and modern community living and schools.

I feel this is a massive shame because there are serious kid role players who could have a lot to offer RP communities if they would let them. Obviously they shouldn't be in combat or around adult activities but there is no reason why children couldn't stay in the more family oriented areas of the world, and surely if you're a knight etc it would only help develop your character by defending innocents such as children?

I do get why people are reluctant though: previous kids have sadly ruined it for us and the stereotypes have unfortunately stuck.

I do wish sim owners would give kids a chance though: it may mean a more involved application process to deter the griefers, gesture spamers and baby talkers but would IMO be worth it. 

/me gives the kids a large cardboard box, the old net curtains and a box of chalk and sends them out to play

(If the fantasy grown-ups' imaginations are too limited to make space for you, make it yourselves in the backyards of family RP sims or wherever you find yourselves. You're kids after all :) )

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

/me gives the kids a large cardboard box, the old net curtains and a box of chalk and sends them out to play

(If the fantasy grown-ups' imaginations are too limited to make space for you, make it yourselves in the backyards of family RP sims or wherever you find yourselves. You're kids after all :) )

Is Patch in the box? 

2 hours ago, brodiak90 said:

Necroing the thread but would rather do that than start a completely new one. 

For the record -- IMO at least, this is actually a valid revival of the thread as it is a continuation of the discussion and the problems within SL associated with it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is Patch in the box? 

I found a biscuit wrapper, two juice boxes and a carrot stick inside this morning. Does this help?

• Like 1

We're in the process of building a medieval fantasy RP called Blackthorn that will allow child avatars, as long as they are old enough to speak in complete sentences. We will accept most races.

We are very fantasy and less realistic medieval, but if you're open to that, you can message me and I'll send you a landmark. Build is pretty rough right now. Once we get it mostly set up, I will advertise it at WoRPG hub.

I am making a knight character, and I would love to have a squire! 

• Thanks 1

I've actually found a surprising amount of fantasy sims that do allow child avatars, once you get past all the Gor and crap. I wonder if this is because, like with tabletop gaming, there are more fantasy sims. However, I haven't really tried any because I don't have a character. Here, what brodiak said is very true; there just aren't a lot of costumes or props available for child avatars.

I've been trying to get a small roleplay project off the ground that will hopefully make it easier for kids to roleplay. The idea is that I'll be selling outfits and costumes that include a number of freebies and a small writeup for some group or idea you can roleplay against. These are things like a community sports team for modern roleplay, a knight-like order for post-apoc, or the like. You can pass around these freebies to "deputize" others and bring them in (or they can buy the full outfit). I'm hoping that that will help fill that vacuum of costumes while also giving some loose roleplay prompts to start with. Unfortunately, this is the worst project ever, because I not only have to get the outfits and costumes made, but I also have to make the freebie items myself (TOS stuff), so I'm not making any meaningful progress.

Anyways, I'd love to hear more about Blackthorn as well. Finding any opportunities to do genre (non-modern, suburban family) roleplay is tough since everyone just rules against kids, so any sims that allow them are a great help.

Sovereigns of Elyona does allow child avies but with some restrictions. They're a decent group though once you bounce through it. 

I do highly recommend Thaczil if you're looking for para-rp that allows for kids. They have a tonne of children there.