How long have you been a Resident of Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just under 12 years for my original account however back then my internet was so bad I had to use the lowest draw distance I could, music turned off and I could not really walk around or explore much due to loading times. I stuck around for awhile before moving on then returned years later when I had a better connection (I still had to use a small draw distance due to loading times but I could at least explore the grid). From there my internet got better and my draw distance increased until a year or 2 ago when my internet started getting worse over time. Now I have a large cache so I can still go to all my favorite places, my draw distance is reasonable but I spend most of my time in one of a few places I own. My internet has gotten so bad that sailing is no longer an option for me and I lost my slip in bay city who knows how long ago. It's gotten to the point where I am now looking at switching ISP's to one which I believe will give me a more reliable connection but possibly not much faster than my old one.

• Like 1

Being a SL citizen since 2007, im still amazed about the different kinds of people you can meet, and about the experiences you can make in this wonderful world.
Not to mention the evolution from the early standard avatars to the beautiful mesh fashion dolls we have today.

• Like 1

I joined in April 2005 and have always made a home in SL, ever since rushing through the Welcome Area to buy First Land.  So it's been 13 years and a bit, not counting alt time, and excepting a break of a few months in 2008 when I was homeless in RL.  There isn't much that stops me being here. :o)

• 3 months later...

I rezzed in January 2012, when the world and its avis were still beautiful. There's still some beauty, but the wastelands of Sansara and the advent of Mesh Heads have increased the ugliness greatly... :(

Though well past the golden age, I'll stay till they obsolete my viewer - the last that will work in XP.

SL almost destroyed my RL (and I mean that as a sort of compliment, that a virtual reality could nearly supplant what to that point I had called 'life')...

Edited by dwirmjac
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, dwirmjac said:

Though well past the golden age, I'll stay till they obsolete my viewer - the last that will work in XP.

I found a big performance increase in XP machines after switching to Linux (And the newest Firestorm will work there too) not sure if that'S an option for you.

oh, thanks for the suggestion Fionalein - if they're still supporting the 32-bit Linuxes, I do actually have a dual-boot system (though I haven't accessed my old Linux Mint Cinnamon in a couple of years...)

Seems that decision time is imminent.

Edited by dwirmjac
grammar

• 3 weeks later...

vmware is a possible solution; but if your computer is old enough to need XP it's probably not a viable solution.

Still, on some CPUs etc it can run the SL viewer (on medium or high graphics, I forget which).

I made my first account (now an alt) in 2005, this account in 2008; but only really got into the game in nov 2009.

the first character I made when I was 15 which was 2005, back when bling was popular and still thought of as cool and flexi hair was the best thing ever, textured clothing, I don't even think sculpties were around back then. But I took a break and made a new character in 2007 and have been active since then with a few short breaks here and there and maybe 10 characters all up, I remember my login of my frist character still but his account is now deactivated and our of all the characters, 5 have stores on marketplace that are all very out dated, and all 5 still bring in revenue xD

• 4 weeks later...

My oldest account is 9 and a half years old, but I only came in world then for a few hours. I remember learning to walk, trying to change my outfit. Being totally scared to speak in public and make a fool of myself. Walking through lag, not really seeing where I was going and walking off the end of a pier and getting stuck under water and couldn't get out.

I came back 2 years later with this account and a better computer and made it out of the welcome area safely and not looked back since.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.