How to individualize your avatar.. according to me.

CougEr Vultee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 hours ago, CougEr Vultee said:

No,  individualism is not tank tops, hoddies and jeans, but the majority wear that, 

Thats just plain wrong. Have you never left your home/sandbox and went to a public place like a club?
Even if you attend a techno party at the boiler room, where you will see fashion what comes very close to RL... You will spot some girls with hoodies, but they likely wont use jeans in combination.

What are you talking about?

• Like 1

Do you really want to know how to individualize your avatar in SL? 

By doing your own thing, wearing what you want, and not listening to anyone who is trying to tell you how to "individualize" your look. Because what it really just boils down to  - is them pushing their preferences and what they like onto you, instead of just allowing you to find your own way when it comes to fashion and customizing a look that fits what you like.

• Like 5

I think a lot of the people replying are misreading the OP's post, which is understanble because it's not entirely clear in many places. Then again, the OP acknowledges this at the end of their post, explaining they're Italian, so I suspect there's a bit of a language barrier in effect here.

I don't believe the OP was saying you should wear casual clothes to be different. Rather, I think they're saying the opposite, that many men in SL are wearing said casual wear. And they're not wrong. In fact, they seem to be saying what a lot of the replies are saying.

Still, I agree with Klytyna about skins. Expensive rarely equates to quality in my SL experience. Whether you're talking skins, clothing, mesh bodyparts or anything else. In fact I'd say a good way to be unique in SL is to check out some of the alternatives to the popular content in SL. I get lots of positive comments on my mesh body because very few other people use the mesh body I use. I'd also compare the Utilizator "Normie" mesh head favourably against any others on the market, despite being among the least expensive.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kristen Beornssen said:

By doing your own thing, wearing what you want, and not listening to anyone who is trying to tell you how to "individualize" your look.

There was a guy once who signed up on a forum for punks and skins, starting a thread to ask 'how to become a punk' - the irony of all the kids giving instructions on how to not care what other people think of you and how to not follow any necessary rules and conventions.

This thread made me think of that. 

... Once I was over the part about tank tops and hoodies and had counted my 10 Mississippis. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 25/04/2018 at 11:14 AM, Resi Pfeffer said:

Thats just plain wrong. Have you never left your home/sandbox and went to a public place like a club?
Even if you attend a techno party at the boiler room, where you will see fashion what comes very close to RL... You will spot some girls with hoodies, but they likely wont use jeans in combination.

What are you talking about?

I dont have to leave my sandbox, called acidic, the sim i own and where i have not one,  but 2 clubs and...  yes, unfotunatelly for  you I am Snoopy the owner of Reds International and Hangar 2 strictly techno, and yes i have been lagged out at boiler ohh so many times, as i have DJed in just about every single clubs in SL including Energy, Dance island, underworld,  systematic,  code 415, aqua, soho, exhel, MoH, QClub, Squte, Prority Hydra and the list goes on and on, so I should ask you...   "what are you talking about"?  lol  Clearly you missed the point, SL is not only clubbing, although i have seen some pretty disgusting choices of looks in that very club you mentioned, the Boiler and others, SL is a lot of things. So many activities and each can have a particular look we can chose to have. Boating, flying, exploring,  RP and so many more or simply entertaining at home,going shopping, leasure living, relaxing on a sandy beach.attending to events such as dance companies , theatre, gala events.  

On 24.4.2018 at 12:12 PM, CougEr Vultee said:

Ok, that's an easy one... for many. But for those that are still obscurelly searching for an answer, well... The answer is knowing who you are.

You started to give answers for questions probably no one even had in mind.

1 hour ago, CougEr Vultee said:

what are you talking about"?  lol  Clearly you missed the point, SL is not only clubbing, although i have seen some pretty disgusting choices

I never said, SL is just about clubbing. I just mentioned, that not even in techno clubs jeans and hoodies are a big thing.

Try to calm down, i bet it was just your translator what messed things up :)

4 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

i bet it was just your translator what messed things up :)

Actually I don't use a translator lmao. and even spell check is not working as this version of  chrome is in italian. soI get only italian spellcheck on every single word i write in English. Argh...  frustrating!  basically all I am saying is that in 10 years of SL I've seen it all, the full  transformation process from standard  avatar that only very few knew how to make it look so good  that they'd stood  out and were hard to replicate to the mesh era, with skins as in already made movie stars looks. To me all that has certanly increased the visual quality but has somehow downgraded that exclusive, unique, individual look we used to create 5 years ago. And again there wasn't many of us with the candy look.  Last year i deceided to invest on my avatar and abandon the standard look. I was so scared to loose the look i worked so hard at getting with a standard avatar. So i changed, Bought a Slink body  and a head, Catwa  daniel. Table viviant had some nice skins for Daniel, Then of course feet and animated  hands. I      didnt have to change the AO as it was one of my best attributes, But now i was shopping for mesh clothes.. finally.  As a male avatar I always had a hard time to find nice clothes, my designer was Table Viviant, Cocos Gothic Cats and wore a lot of gothic looking outfits.   I liked the fact that you could wear a shirt under a jacket without going through the mesh... still the new me was well exposed to the public  as a DJ in the most popular places  and the comments in IM  complimenting on a great looking avatar and my fan club grew very fast. I remember at Energy  at the end of a set someone said in public   you've got to be the cutest DJ in SL. Love your looks  ...just saying.    hahaha I laughed  so hard at that but felt very humbled by it.  I knew then that as far as looking different and better than most i was on the right path.  Needless to say that i had to change  quickly my looks  and clothes  as fast enough i was spotting  my pants  my jackets my shoes my hair on others. lol 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Strong word, that. Who gets to decide what's disgusting?

In this post i do. :) Remeber the title?   "...according to me". And i was passing on a critique of what i dont like without mentioning names or outfit,  just bad  taste in my opinion . as someone else  might see it same as me, just like for some one else might be very cool.  

45 minutes ago, CougEr Vultee said:

the comments in IM  complimenting on a great looking avatar and my fan club grew very fast. I remember at Energy  at the end of a set someone said in public   you've got to be the cutest DJ in SL. Love your looks  ...just saying.    hahaha I laughed  so hard at that but felt very humbled by it.

Yes, that definitely shows.

I'm happy for you that you "look better than most".

43 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Yes, that definitely shows.

I'm happy for you that you "look better than most".

ahh okay  so if i mentioned something that happen to me to sudstatiate what I am saying, as an example, i dont show humbleness,  I see... anyway, I probably didlook better than most but now i think that trend  passed me by..  

like i said...    so many new already made great looks, even clothes they come as an outfit ready made. often shoes included.  

and all  aiming at individuality , so  yes, its hard to be individual now. 

Edited by CougEr Vultee

1 hour ago, CougEr Vultee said:

I knew then that as far as looking different and better than most i was on the right path. 

That's a little subjective. 

Better than most in who's eyes?

Just because someone says you have the cutest avatar in SL doesn't actually mean you do. :)

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, CougEr Vultee said:

its hard to be individual now. 

It really isn't...

Suppose you are a noob or someone who can't afford it or doesn't feel like putting in the time, effort, and money that it would take to customize your avie in such a way that would set it apart from the herd - those "ready made" avatars/outfits/etc would be of some benefit to you - because they make updating your look quick and easy without all of the hassle.

You can't knock people for that.

I've been in SL for a very long time, and I've yet to have anyone tell me "You know, your avatar looks just like this other person's avatar!" I'm sure that many in this forum could probably say the same. In the end, all that matters is what the person behind the avie likes.. I mean after all, THEY are the ones wearing it as a chosen expression of their virtual selves..

How they look or what they wear has zero personal impact on YOU - whatsoever. So YOU can happily go on about your day, living your SL however you choose to live it, while leaving them to live theirs in peace and unaffected by your "opinions".

Sounds like a fair trade to me.

• Like 2

Wow! this is actually a pretty interesting convo in that the stratification of individuals based on looks and $ and material possessions continues. I love SL for the ability to express creativity. I love to see what everyone does with their avatar and how they customize it. I also understand that some have more $L to spend on it, and time too, as it does take time to do this.  That does not make them BETTER. SL is a visual environment, therefore we do use our eyes to judge, as we cannot have the pleasure of intimate non-verbal communication or eye-contact. However, I've met and still am friends with folks whose avatars may be considered "less than" by some, and yet they are the most amazing souls and personalities.

And yes, I am still guilty of this as anyone else is. Because of my pre-disposition for a certain look, body shape, and face shape, I tend to gravitate to those individuals that fit my inherent aesthetics. I'm human, it's what happens. But I am also aware of it. Mea Culpa. Then I move on. Because in the end it is that person behind that avatar that we are interacting with.  This is the look I love the most.. for dramatic purposes. Most of the time though.. my RL handler is in jeans and a hoodie..chasing after my two dogs and my two kids, battling the monsters under the bed, making cookies, drawing the same unicorn over and over again becuause my 7 year old wants to repaint it becuase she didn't like the first 1234th versions. That fallen angel with the ripped out wings and the claws approves, and has asked me to get off my soap box. And for the record, I love Skell's look and his range of diversity, plus .. he's just classy.

peace xo

they took my wings but forgot I had claws final with bindi .png

• Like 8

Wow! this is actually a pretty interesting convo in that the stratification of individuals based on looks and $ and material possessions continues. I love SL for the ability to express creativity. I love to see what everyone does with their avatar and how they customize it. I also understand that some have more $L to spend on it, and time too, as it does take time to do this.  That does not make them BETTER. SL is a visual environment, therefore we do use our eyes to judge, as we cannot have the pleasure of intimate non-verbal communication or eye-contact. However, I've met and still am friends with folks whose avatars may be considered "less than" by some, and yet they are the most amazing souls and personalities.

And yes, I am still guilty of this as anyone else is. Because of my pre-disposition for a certain look, body shape, and face shape, I tend to gravitate to those individuals that fit my inherent aesthetics. I'm human, it's what happens. But I am also aware of it. Mea Culpa. Then I move on. Because in the end it is that person behind that avatar that we are interacting with.  This is the look I love the most.. for dramatic purposes. Most of the time though.. my RL handler is in jeans and a hoodie..chasing after my two dogs and my two kids, battling the monsters under the bed, making cookies, drawing the same unicorn over and over again becuause my 7 year old wants to repaint it becuase she didn't like the first 1234th versions. That fallen angel with the ripped out wings and the claws approves, and has asked me to get off my soap box. And for the record, I love Skell's look and his range of diversity, plus .. he's just classy.

peace xo

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.