blocking

MasterCurt Bohemian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

16 answers to this question

If you happen to be renting from a private estate it might be worth checking the covenant of the sim you are renting on. If in the covenant ban lines are not allowed you may contact your landlord about it. If there is nothing about banlines in said covenant or you are renting/owning a parcel on mainland then there's nothing you can do. It's not harrassment but the other owners/renters right to make use of the banwall feature SL provides to keep unwanted guests out of their home.

Edit: Same goes for walls etc.

Edited by Syn Anatine

The Lab have banned people before for erecting walls on their property. I speak from experience as I was banned for three days for this very sin.

But, despite being banned myself for doing it, I believe your chances of getting a harassment AR to fly are actually zero.

So, as mentioned above, if it's on a private island talk to the landlord, if it's mainland you are completely out of luck. If the wall oversteps the boundary into your property you can try returning it, otherwise it's something you just have to accept.

Keep trying to talk to the person, but stay calm and kind, she is more likely to respond if she is not feeling threatened.

In many cases people on mainland move on after a few months, sit tight and try to put up with the wall until they move. You could also sell up and move to a private estate, which will almost always ban such things (Check the covenant).

Escalating things by building bigger walls will normally only make things worse, but in many cases you can work her wall into your scenery too by matching it's height.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

I detest "privacy walls" and screens. 

So many people use them as "spite fences" and even the ones who intend no insult often don't know how they ought to be used. 

My neighbor recently put up a region-spanning international airport next to my land.  Since my border with him is the low point of his region, he erected a forty meter high concrete wall to support that end of his airfield.  Nothing at all I could do about it.

Because my land has a tropical theme, what I ended up doing was to put up a large, thin wall right up against his, and textured it with a "sand, sea and sky" texture.  It actually does not look too bad!

If you're looking for privacy from the neighbors...

• Use the Privacy option in About Land/Options, to make people on your land invisible to those outside your parcel.  (Keep in mind that it works both ways though).
  • Live in a skybox.  Locate it outside the probable draw distance of other people (at least a couple hundred meters away from the ground or other skyboxes.)
  • If you must put up a screen, think about a line of trees or a tall hedge before you default to a wall.
  • The main purpose of a screening wall is to keep YOU from seeing the neighbors' poor taste.  Make the outside of your wall transparent, and only texture YOUR side of it.  You can't block the neighbors' view of your land with a wall, anyway, they can just cam past it.
  • Make your wall Phantom to keep any off-course aircraft from crashing into it.
  • Rather than a wall, consider simply de-rendering your neighbors' ugly build.  Other people will still see it of course, but at least YOU don't have to!

If someone does build a wall on your shared border, or builds anything else you object to:

• Try to communicate with them first.  By IM, or by notecard.  BE POLITE!  Offer to help them find a more attractive way to highlight the edges of their parcel.
  • If they do not respond, or are obviously unwilling to discuss or compromise, be philosophical about it.  It's their land, and they have the right to do whatever they want on it (subject to the ToS, Community Standards, and any estate Covenant).
  • But you have the same right!  You can go along your border and right click stuff that looks like it might be encroaching on your land and hit Return.  After your neighbor gets a few items flung back into his Lost and Found folder, he will probably take the hint and be more careful to keep his junk on his own land.
  • You can put up a wall of your own, as long as it is on your side of the border.  You can make it bigger and uglier than his, if you are feeling vindictive.  Make it Full Bright and glowing.  Add moving spotlights, and showers of particles.  Whatever you can imagine.  But beware!  This sort of thing can escalate, and at some point LL may decide that one or both of you is guilty of harrassment, and suspend or ban you.
  • Rather than engage in a Spite Fence War, it may be easier to just pull up stakes and move!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

My neighbor recently put up a region-spanning international airport next to my land.  Since my border with him is the low point of his region, he erected a forty meter high concrete wall to support that end of his airfield.  Nothing at all I could do about it.

Can’t you just derender it? And anything else you don’t want to see?

ETA I see now you mentioned it 

Edited by Pamela Galli

Just now, Pamela Galli said:

Can’t you just derender it? And anything else you don’t want to see?

Isn't that pretty useless? Try showing off your house while saying "Oh and if you derender this wall over there it actually looks quite nice" ...

3 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Isn't that pretty useless? Try showing off your house while saying "Oh and if you derender this wall over there it actually looks quite nice" ...

Useless for occasional visitors, yes. But if it’s anyone who is a regular visitor, you can suggest They derender 

I've used De-Render in the past, and in at least one case (a cotton candy pink Barbie Doll castle that briefly desecrated our view to the north) I advised my tenants to do the same.  But for one thing, I rather like airports.  It's just the forty meter by 256 meter concrete wall I dislike.  And my neighbor has built a whole doggone CITY underneath the airport...which is also a pretty neat idea...but would require a LOT of de-rendering.

• Moderators

Greetings all!

If you are on your private parcel and can see your neighbors builds, you can also try lowering your Draw Distance.  While this will most likely not affect items that are directly adjacent to your own property, it will stop items outside of the distance from rendering at all. 

Worth mentioning that derender is a TPV feature and does not exist in the official client.

(If wanted, Catznip would be very happy to donate their implementation to LL, the UI details for which can be found here. We're fully aware of requirements in passing code to LL and have done so several times in the past.)

• Like 1

Anna Erotica sells a low-prim set of screening trees. My neighbor put those up on both sides of her property, and that worked out fine. She has a rural-looking setting in an urban area, and I have a view of trees outside the windows of my industrial workshop.

5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

But for one thing, I rather like airports.  It's just the forty meter by 256 meter concrete wall I dislike.  And my neighbor has built a whole doggone CITY underneath the airport...which is also a pretty neat idea...but would require a LOT of de-rendering.

I have seen those... more than one, who rents those places?

I like to build screens that fit my theme... Back at the club I managed I raised two urban housefront screens to block two or our neighbour's sunshine palm beach screens.

Edited by Fionalein

26 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

when using the "select" in the building tool it's not that much work :)

Yeah, that and area search by owner works like a charm. I once blacklisted a whole texture heavy shop to speed up a game I was playing on the neighbouring parcel...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

Ahh.. parcel border wars here we go:

I have had experiences with this over the years and often I have wondered, why would anyone want to put up a wall between their parcel and mine? I mean surely do they not realise that they are covering up the pretty to cancel out their ugly?

Oh yes I know it's vice versa too;) 

Though the worse is def ban lines:/ 

If I had to choose between a solid high wall and banlines... I'd always go with the former never the latter. 

KeepMainland_LRC.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.