Marketplace Homepage Feature

AdamZadig

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Two questions today: 

1) Is it worth paying to have products on the Marketplace Homepage 
2) Is it possible to track how many clicks the advert gets? 

I've just purchased one week for 899L$ and so far I have no idea how its doing as I cant tell if its being clicked on!!

• Moderators

Hi AdamZadig,

1. Only you can truly decide if the Listing Enhancement on the main Homepage is worth it.  

2. Yes. When you add a PLE to an item, the Traffic Report will show you information about the click-thru's for the item. 

The traffic report is 24 hours out.  So if you just added the PLE today, the information will be available tomorrow on the Traffic Report.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, AdamZadig said:

Final result: didn't have an impact on sales. Loads of impressions, but very few clicks.

Statically that is the norm for the web in general so not a big surprise. So maybe thinking of the ads as general advertising might be more in line with what they are doing. Also, in case you didn't know, there are a fair number of folks who are anti SLOCCA so that might not be helping if you have stickers on your ads like in your forum graphic :D  

10 minutes ago, AdamZadig said:

Final result: didn't have an impact on sales. Loads of impressions, but very few clicks.

doesn't mean the system doesn't work.

The choice of items that's advertised has to be interesting for a buyer too.

Having just a few really different items won't help to pull visitors to your store unless it are populair/fashionable items.

You have 13 items for sale, 6 buildings, 5 radio/furniture and one box of scripts that you also can find for free (L$ 395 in your store)

From speaking with others(over the course of years) and reading through the various versions of the forums over the years too....I have come to find that MOST listing enhancements are ineffective, or at least, a waste of money. While clicks/views have been prolific for some, the sales have rarely matched those clicks even remotely. I think the general consensus of most seems to be that this is merely one more way for LL to get funds (albeit it small amounts, one seller at a time, they add up, and some sellers have loads of LEs) and not very helpful at all for sellers. 

This is pretty typical though of "featured items" and similar things-which is what LEs are. Generally they are merely there to get eyes on your products, not so much to actually sell those particular items-though any sales of said items are of course, welcome. The items one uses for those kinds of enhancements or features should be very eye catching, offer something unique, different, something of great interest to one's target audience. Some ecommerce sites manage this just peachy, while most, probably don't. If you're not paying to enhance a specific product in this manner, it's not a bad idea...if, however, such as the case with MP, you ARE paying in some fashion for an enhancement, it's not likely to be worth it. 

But..others' mileage may vary, I suppose, lol. 

Personally, as a shopper, I don't look at those enhanced listings, at all, they rather get in my way, lol. I go to MP to find specific things, most of the time, but even when I'm just browsing, most of those listings get largely ignored, and sometimes, the seller does too. 

On 30.5.2018 at 4:42 PM, Alwin Alcott said:

doesn't mean the system doesn't work.

The choice of items that's advertised has to be interesting for a buyer too.

True, I found one shop via LE, which made me go "Wait, such a pet exists?" I didn't buy the listed one and I didn't buy it immediatelly but one month later, but without the listing I would have never known about it at all... usualy though the stuff is just boring enough for me to ignore (Sorry I don't want no boring jetski however cool it might be when I did a search for "police SUV")

Edited by Fionalein

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/05/2018 at 9:38 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Statically that is the norm for the web in general so not a big surprise. So maybe thinking of the ads as general advertising might be more in line with what they are doing. Also, in case you didn't know, there are a fair number of folks who are anti SLOCCA so that might not be helping if you have stickers on your ads like in your forum graphic :D  

Yeah I think I had this discussion on a other thread. Slocca seems to be dead now. No website anymore. I thought it was legit as aitui was a member. Shocked at some of the negative response it gets. I still think the idea is good though. A tag to show you make everything from scratch. 

29 minutes ago, AdamZadig said:

Yeah I think I had this discussion on a other thread. Slocca seems to be dead now. No website anymore. I thought it was legit as aitui was a member. Shocked at some of the negative response it gets. I still think the idea is good though. A tag to show you make everything from scratch

I think that is part of the backlash they experienced. I mean like everything? They really never bought a starting texture pack, a PS filter or a LSL snippet? Maybe true for some furniture designers and very few fitmesh designers but most of them outsourced/bought some part of their work -  not every one is a Leonardo da Vinci.

44 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

I think that is part of the backlash they experienced. I mean like everything? They really never bought a starting texture pack, a PS filter or a LSL snippet? Maybe true for some furniture designers and very few fitmesh designers but most of them outsourced/bought some part of their work -  not every one is a Leonardo da Vinci.

Do you really think people won't buy an item because of the SLOCCA logos? Are there any groups like this that a creator can join? I just think it's cool to have some sort of membership logo on marketplace adverts.

14 minutes ago, AdamZadig said:

Do you really think people won't buy an item because of the SLOCCA logos? Are there any groups like this that a creator can join? I just think it's cool to have some sort of membership logo on marketplace adverts.

Do you really think they care for it that at all? Most don't react to it, wether negative nor positive. My initial reaction was something along "What is that slacker mocca supposed to be now again - another overrated event?" Googled them and found a forum that more or less wondered on more than a dozen pages on how on earth they will even try to proof their claims.

1 hour ago, AdamZadig said:

there are a fair number of folks who are anti SLOCCA so that might not be helping if you have stickers on your ads like in your forum graphic :D  

It's just that you said the above which implies people may not buy the item because of the slocca badges 

11 minutes ago, AdamZadig said:

It's just that you said the above which implies people may not buy the item because of the slocca badges 

Some obviously didn't. Customers are not rational beings they can easily hold irrational grudges. Users of that badge can be easily seen as some elitists you better boycott - wether that judgement is true does not matter, the subconsciousness already buildt a prejudice - you will have to work 10fold and more to get rid of that image in those persons minds who filed you under "elitist".

12 hours ago, AdamZadig said:

I know for a fact there are  people that won't, *because of the backlash (caused by their own slocca selves, mostly, but you'd have to do some searching to find all the info).  I wouldn't call everyone that reacted, or reacts still, negatively towards them as being irrational. Some might be, of course, but I think there were a lot of valid concerns.

Ftr..that logo wouldn't necessarily stop me from buying, but it *might* give me pause about the seller, and not because I think they are elitist or somehow think they're better than others. My pause would be due to something Fionalein already mentioned, the fact that very few creators make everything entirely from scratch. So, why they would feel the need to claim they did, is beyond me. It's perfectly ok to buy bits, pieces, software, etc..from others.  I still might buy from  them anyway, have plenty of times, but, I'd be lying if I said it never gave me pause ;) 

Really, the badge does little to nothing for anyone at this point, nothing cool at all about it. Lots of creators/merchants have "100% original..(insert whatever, mesh, script, etc.) in their listings. That likely accomplishes a wee bit more than a badge that links to a group now defunct that couldn't even operate well when it wasn't and caused a lot of crud, lol 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 4/24/2018 at 12:17 AM, Dakota Linden said:

Hi AdamZadig,

1. Only you can truly decide if the Listing Enhancement on the main Homepage is worth it.  

2. Yes. When you add a PLE to an item, the Traffic Report will show you information about the click-thru's for the item. 

The traffic report is 24 hours out.  So if you just added the PLE today, the information will be available tomorrow on the Traffic Report.  

Dakota will LL ever make marketplace featured items targetted advertising? My buying history and avatar sex (male who buys mostly buildings, textures and men's clothing) would surely mean I should see more creation items and men's fashion there instead of women and clothing and female makeup kits. Seems like those designers are wasting their money advertising to me

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AdamZadig said:

Dakota will LL ever make marketplace featured items targetted advertising? My buying history and avatar sex (male who buys mostly buildings, textures and men's clothing) would surely mean I should see more creation items and men's fashion there instead of women and clothing and female makeup kits. Seems like those designers are wasting their money advertising to me

Hi Adam!

I have absolutely no information regarding the capabilities of the Marketplace code system, so I am unable to say if targeted Enhanced items would even be possible. 

As for wasting money to advertise, again, only the merchant can really determine that.  Many users switch between avatars, a nice luxury of Second Life, with many different users having both male and female avatars, along with any other number of avatar types and styles. 

With the exception of the Marketplace homepage and the Zero L$ checkout page, most sellers who pick a Landing Page PLE are already targeting users who visit those categories.  In most landing page categories, either items already in those categories are featured, or related items are featured. 

For example, the Animals main category has Featured Items that are all related to Animals.  

The same with the Men's Clothing category. 

I would be very surprised to see a Feature Item on the Men's Clothing page for a listing for women's lingerie. 

Are there ever times when an item shows up in the Featured Items section that is unrelated to the category? Yes. But most times it is accidental, and the Merchant contacts support when they realize that they put the PLE Item into a category that is unrelated to the item they are selling. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2019 at 3:00 AM, Dakota Linden said:

Hi Adam!

I have absolutely no information regarding the capabilities of the Marketplace code system, so I am unable to say if targeted Enhanced items would even be possible. 

As for wasting money to advertise, again, only the merchant can really determine that.  Many users switch between avatars, a nice luxury of Second Life, with many different users having both male and female avatars, along with any other number of avatar types and styles. 

With the exception of the Marketplace homepage and the Zero L$ checkout page, most sellers who pick a Landing Page PLE are already targeting users who visit those categories.  In most landing page categories, either items already in those categories are featured, or related items are featured. 

For example, the Animals main category has Featured Items that are all related to Animals.  

The same with the Men's Clothing category. 

I would be very surprised to see a Feature Item on the Men's Clothing page for a listing for women's lingerie. 

Are there ever times when an item shows up in the Featured Items section that is unrelated to the category? Yes. But most times it is accidental, and the Merchant contacts support when they realize that they put the PLE Item into a category that is unrelated to the item they are selling. 

i never considered that. thanks for your reply. 

• 2 weeks later...

Being a constant shopper on the marketplace I do often shop by looking at all the enhancements mainly on the homepage when I log in. Often times I don't click on the item I am interested in but I go to search to find the store and looking through that store. I have bought many items doing my shopping this way. I know others look at them too just to get an idea on what may be new.. I may not of bought the item that was on the enhancement but it could of been something else I bought once I found your store.

It is a way to get your item seen.. I wouldn't list every item this way just those special ones.

On 1/10/2019 at 7:00 AM, Dakota Linden said:

I would announce that Lingerie Store a GENIUS in marketing, not only would it appeal to the Males shopping to add a gift for their partner while looking for trousers, but it would also appeal to the women shopping for trousers for their partner to get a little something to entice them with and so on.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 1/22/2019 at 9:58 AM, Shassie said:

Being a constant shopper on the marketplace I do often shop by looking at all the enhancements mainly on the homepage when I log in. Often times I don't click on the item I am interested in but I go to search to find the store and looking through that store. I have bought many items doing my shopping this way. I know others look at them too just to get an idea on what may be new.. I may not of bought the item that was on the enhancement but it could of been something else I bought once I found your store.

It is a way to get your item seen.. I wouldn't list every item this way just those special ones.

Hi Shassie!

You can click on the item, then click on the Visit The Store link that is on the listing itself.

It will save you time having to search for the sellers store. 

I am going to be the devil's advocate and say the advertisements work quite well. Your product icon needs to make the sale; a successful product shims have a 10% conversion (10 sales every 100 views) 

A really good product that customers want and like will be upwards if 11%-20% 

If your product is not having a 10% conversion rate, it is not the ad, it is most likely your product not having enough appeal, too expensive, or raises alarm bells when consumers look at them. I have three products that has been on promotion for checkout page for last 6 month and they still continue to pull in customers. 

Of course you don't always get 100% winners. If your conversion is too low on an ad, cut renewal save ads for winner products 

Edited by iamyourneighbour
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.