How to stop this weird, faded line down my screen when taking photos?

Sally Hurricane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When taking photos on ultra, sometimes a weird faded line comes into the photo but not always. I've tried many things that could stop it but I'm looking for more answers! 

Sorry for the initially vague post, did it in a hurry admittedly. But in the attached image, you can see a strip where the hair is like a thick, faded line. Like said before, it only appears sometimes but it's always when I'm in ultra and taking photos only. 

Display details found under system info - 

Name    Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
PNP Device ID    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1916&SUBSYS_80A1103C&REV_07\3&11583659&1&10
Adapter Type    Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, Intel Corporation compatible
Adapter Description    Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
Adapter RAM    1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Installed Drivers    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki124769.inf_amd64_e5e7af49c5a8fe4b\igdumdim64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki124769.inf_amd64_e5e7af49c5a8fe4b\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki124769.inf_amd64_e5e7af49c5a8fe4b\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki124769.inf_amd64_e5e7af49c5a8fe4b\igd12umd64.dll
Driver Version    21.20.16.4727
INF File    oem5.inf (iSKLD_w10_DS section)
Colour Planes    Not Available
Colour Table Entries    4294967296
Resolution    1366 x 768 x 39 hertz
Bits/Pixel    32

Snapshot_080 (2).png

Edited by Sally Hurricane

14 answers to this question

On 4/22/2018 at 6:14 PM, Sally Hurricane said:

But in the attached image, you can see a strip where the hair is like a thick, faded line.

Are you talking about the area I outlined in red?  If so, does the hair have some alpha in it?  That is what it looks like to me - sort of how hair with alpha looks from certain angles with certain lighting.  Especially if the leaves behind you also have alpha areas.

temp2.png.4d2756e25885efbd441fac3bc97d7fd6.png

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Are you talking about the area I outlined in red?  If so, does the hair have some alpha in it?  That is what it looks like to me - sort of how hair with alpha looks from certain angles with certain lighting.  Especially if the leaves behind you also have alpha areas.

temp2.png.4d2756e25885efbd441fac3bc97d7fd6.png

No, it goes 'down' my screen, where the hair is. I've circled where it starts, and ends. I also think it has happened going the other way in a different shot, but it's the same sort of line. 

Snapshot_080 (2)_LI.jpg

Ahh - I had to grab the picture and blow it up larger.  I modified the lighting a bit to better see it.  It actually looks like a lightened section all the way across the top.  It is much easier to see in the photo editor though.

temp4.png.65c960c3419087139b5be541a076f8f6.png

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

8 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Ahh - I had to grab the picture and blow it up larger.  I modified the lighting a bit to better see it.  It actually looks like a lightened section all the way across the top.  It is much easier to see in the photo editor though.

temp4.png.65c960c3419087139b5be541a076f8f6.png

Yeah it appears sometimes and is super annoying when I'm trying to get a perfect photo, it ruins it! I don't know how to prevent it either.

There is a fair chance that your iGPU is overstrained by plain out of the box Ultra settings, which may lead to unwanted graphical artefacts. 

I'd rather suggest that you configure your own "photo" graphic preset. You can easily save those presets to quickly switch between them when needed.
Keep the draw distance down to lower the stress, perhaps try whether or not Ambience Occlusion looks better on your end, keep Water Reflections low unless specifically needed ... and try to enable a bit of Anti Aliasing. That'll make a huge difference in terms of those jagged edged lines.

A totally different approach: is that "line" always appearing along the middle parting, even on different hair? 
That hair in the pic might simply be corrupted.

Also, did you enable "high quality snapshots" in the options and/or tried "Snapshot to disc", if you usually use the photo tool to save to disc?

I agree with Lillith.  While there may be some workarounds that will help, you have quite a low powered graphics chip there.  If you want to see SL in all its glory and take the best pictures (and if you have a desktop computer), consider buying a more powerful graphics card.

4 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

There is a fair chance that your iGPU is overstrained by plain out of the box Ultra settings, which may lead to unwanted graphical artefacts. 

I'd rather suggest that you configure your own "photo" graphic preset. You can easily save those presets to quickly switch between them when needed.
Keep the draw distance down to lower the stress, perhaps try whether or not Ambience Occlusion looks better on your end, keep Water Reflections low unless specifically needed ... and try to enable a bit of Anti Aliasing. That'll make a huge difference in terms of those jagged edged lines.

A totally different approach: is that "line" always appearing along the middle parting, even on different hair? 
That hair in the pic might simply be corrupted.

Also, did you enable "high quality snapshots" in the options and/or tried "Snapshot to disc", if you usually use the photo tool to save to disc?

Thanks for your help! I actually did all of those (lowering draw distance, anti aliasing, reflections, high quality snapshots etc.) and it isn't just the hair that is corrupted. Guess it's just my graphics card!

I have no idea how these forums work so I don't know if the rest of you will see this but my friend had exactly the same problem and told me to reinstall FS and update my laptop as that worked for her and I have done so. Now, not even in ultra and not taking a photo, not looking as closeup as in photos it's doing the same thing! I think it could be something to do with alphas this time though as when I zoom into the hair, the lines come up from it in one big strip like the lines mentioned before. 

Well, this is the question and answer section of the forum, which work a bit differently, but still...

Alphas typically aren't causing such "colour blocks" as seen on your pic. I'm not really keen to call it a "line" either, because of the size of that effect.
You can give it a try, however, and see if the alpha mask related settings make any difference. Check for two checkboxes in Preferences > Graphics > Rendering tab > Alpha Mask rendering. Both on, both off, just one off and the other one on ... I don't have much faith in that, but at least it won't hurt.

But overall, are you certain that you installed the proper driver for your integrated graphics? Some laptops are special and only work with drivers released by the manufacturer of the laptop, not those ones provided by Intel or via Windows Update.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.