Deploys for the week of 2011-04-26

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Last week was pretty rough. We had lots of different issues affecting us at the same time. We appreciate your patience while we weather those storms. I have hope that this week will be quieter. We might have a new project this week. It depends on whether it is ready or not. I'll update this post either way. On LeTigre Kelly's "Mono2 Upgrade" project got some new fixes added.

Second Life Server (main channel)
We are promoting Monty's "Fast Assets" project from Magnum. The goal of this project is to increase the speed of asset retrieval by the simulator. Long simulator asset queue lengths result in huge delays in asset loads for users. By allowing simultaneous asset downloads we can increase the quality of the experience.

2011-04-26, 5:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/11

Second Life RC BlueSteel
BlueSteel is again Andrew's "maint-server" project. This is bug fixes a new LSL function.
  • Avatar position reverts to original sittarget in simcrossing
  • Muting a new-style 'Resident' avatar is ineffective when you're offline
  • llTeleportAgentHome on an agent not over your land shouldn't result in the _target_ getting the message
  • Mini-map shows multiple dots for one avatar, but avatar is not ghosted
  • Vehicles "Jumping" when crossing prims
  • Group-owned objects located in private estates cannot send IMs to offline avatars
  • llGiveInventory is not working!
  • Added LLRegionSayTo() LSL function.
2011-04-27, 8:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/11

Second Life RC LeTigre
This continues to be Kelly's "Mono2 Upgrade" project. This release includes many features that improve the performance and robustness of scripts compiled to Mono. This includes a lot of back end infrastructure work with unit tests and script life cycle to make it easier and safer to work with the script system in the future. 
Included is a fix for SVC-3895 "Rezzing Mono scripted object cripples sim FPS".
There are 3 new Script Profiling LSL Functions
  • llScriptProfiler can enable or disable memory profiling with PROFILE_SCRIPT_MEMORY and PROFILE_SCRIPT_NONE. While profiling the scripts performance will be severely impacted.
  • llGetSPMaxMemory will report the highest level of used memory during the most recent, or current, profiling run.
  • llGetUsedMemory will report the current used memory of the script and does not require profiling to be enabled.
We fixed a simulator performance issue when removing objects with scripts from a region. We also have a fix in place for SVC-6926

2011-04-27, 9:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/11

Second Life RC Magnum
We might get a new RC in this slot. Otherwise it will continue to be Monty's "Fast Assets" project and match the main channel.

2011-04-27, 10:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/11

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.
I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. ( https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

Hi i just want to say i love second life ok? But are you guys working on upgrades for servers such as lag and to make the game run better on macbook pro graphics? i dont know a whole lot about servers and everything but can you make sure the right people see this comment! secondlife has great potential it just has to be shown to the world through ads. but thats the not the point the point is second life has kinda gone down the tube latley and i want to see it back on its feet its the best virtual online ever! please keep improving!    Brandon

• Lindens

Hi Pauline, there actually are some big object derez performance improvements in mono2performance 11.04.26.227666, compared to what's been on RC LeTigre this past week.  This version is lined up for tomorrow's RC LeTigre update.  Object rez performance has only improved modestly since last week's mono2performance build; we are still working on it.

Brandon Tolwen wrote:

Hi i just want to say i love second life ok? But are you guys working on upgrades for servers such as lag and to make the game run better on macbook pro graphics? i dont know a whole lot about servers and everything but can you make sure the right people see this comment! secondlife has great potential it just has to be shown to the world through ads. but thats the not the point the point is second life has kinda gone down the tube latley and i want to see it back on its feet its the best virtual online ever! please keep improving!    Brandon

Brandon - issues relating to specific computers is more related to the work of the Second Life Viewer team - but the answer for specific improvements for Macbooks is likely to be 'no'.  Are you sure any problems you have are not computer-related?  Generally the lag situation is improving in sl (though there are exceptions and it has it's bad days).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.