Land full of prims

Ernesto Perez

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,  6y ago there was one bug in simulators. Example this kind of situation. When land is full of prims, some vehicle drive into land. Vehicle means someone sit there and those prims are marked as "sit on" (or something) in land properties. Those prims are additionally and can exist even when land is full. In property there are also mark "x prims are deleted", that means when driver stand up, those prims must be deleted. Its all ok and normal. But the bug was - it deletes not always those vechicle prims, but any prims.Not always, but it happened. Therefore extremelt danger was to let land full of prims. I dont know, is this bug fixed today?

I don't know whether they fixed that particular bug -- I haven't heard of it happening for years and kinda forgot it was ever possible -- but there have been a lot of fixes (and some unfortunate changes) to how strictly things get returned. I'd guess the griefer exploit of force-returning other people's stuff like that doesn't work anymore, but you could test it in a sandbox without incurring much risk, right?

4 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I don't know whether they fixed that particular bug -- I haven't heard of it happening for years and kinda forgot it was ever possible -- but there have been a lot of fixes (and some unfortunate changes) to how strictly things get returned. I'd guess the griefer exploit of force-returning other people's stuff like that doesn't work anymore, but you could test it in a sandbox without incurring much risk, right?

I dont want to make troubles to sandbox owner and other visitors in sandbox. 

Yeah, I was thinking of one of the premium sandboxes when they're empty, but it's true the Lindens have a few prims there that could conceivably get returned if this bug still happened. It would seem more likely that some of the thousands and thousands of items you'd rez to fill the sim for testing would be what got returned, but I guess it could be anything on the sim.

So I was under the impression this bug still existed but I tested it about 2 months ago and was unable to get anything other than the vehicle to return. I remember reading a few years back the return order is determined by the age of the objects with the newest objects returned first. As the vehicle is the newest object in the parcel, it is returned before anything else (the actual order was different however as it took object owners into account but I cannot recall what the order was).

I won't rule out the possibility that it can still happen but if it does, it's very rare. I've done some tests myself and never been able to trigger that bug. I have seen the prim count drop on land while the land and prim owner was away but not very often and there may have been other explanations for that.

I can see certain cases where that bug could still reproduce but I don't really want to test it  :D

For example:
Vehicle is rezzed under Group A outside Parcel B.
Parcel B is group owned by Group A, Parcel B has a mixture of prims rezzed under Group A & prims rezzed under other groups.
Vehicle is driven into Parcel B.
Vehicle has high enough LI to overfill Parcel B when not sat on.
Driver stands up from vehicle.

Suspected result: All objects on Parcel B not rezzed under Group A will be returned to their owners because on group owned land,  objects set to the land group always take precedence over those not set to the land group.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

So I was under the impression this bug still existed but I tested it about 2 months ago and was unable to get anything other than the vehicle to return. I remember reading a few years back the return order is determined by the age of the objects with the newest objects returned first. As the vehicle is the newest object in the parcel, it is returned before anything else (the actual order was different however as it took object owners into account but I cannot recall what the order was).

Yes, I remember now - the point was around objects rezzing time. I tested it sometime long ago. This is then not bug at all, but SL internal work logic.  And I have no idea how is now. BUT, its still very dangerous. Because vechicle dont need to be at all the last object. Example you build, vechicle come on, you continue to build....and then BANG. There should be good idea before rezzing, to always control do something is set to "selected/sat upon".

12 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I tested it last week driving my 512 LI pirate ship into my 100 free LI dock. No deletion.

Last time I had such a deletion was about 18 months ago, resizing a mesh spring to a silly size.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

I tested it last week driving my 512 LI pirate ship into my 100 free LI dock. No deletion.

Last time I had such a deletion was about 18 months ago, resizing a mesh spring to a silly size.

I already imagine you pulling the boat in with a battlecry: "FOR SCIENCE!!!"

Edited by Fionalein
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.