Please share tips on how you organize your inventory

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please share tips on how you organize your inventory

For most inventory, I file under a top-level folder labeled with the storename and username of the creator. The technique handles most cases.

I have a folder on my desktop and in that folder there are sub folders that pretty much resemble the market place in second life. In these folders I have a picture of every item I have bought... and the picture is named the same name as what is in my inventory for that item. All I ever need to do now is a picture search in that desktop folder system and copy/paste the name of that picture into my inventory search bar and I find that item..... And yes, I keep a good back up of that on an external hard drive

I use CTS Wardrobe, it does take some work to set up but I love it, makes my inventory manageable. I can scroll through the different categories and look through the photos looks sorta like marketplace and can wear the items using the website. There are tutorial videos that show you how to use it, they are very helpful shows you how to do it step by step. 

On 4/21/2018 at 2:10 AM, greek Wingtips said:

I think one way would help would be for firestorm and LL  to create an option to colour code the folders and directories, this would be such a great idea and easy to organise.

i had no idea you could color code folders on firestorm.  I will do that myself!

For inventory...  I have folders made in a way where I can find things.  I have ea folder for BODY, FASHION, FOOD, THINGS I DON'T USE OFTEN...  Then I have several sub folders like in fashion I have HAIR, SHOES, FORMAL DRESSES, CASUAL DRESSES, COSTUMES.  Then I have many more sub folders in those.

That said my inventory is completely out of control because i have too much stuff and I keep buying more.  So...  I do have the (CTS) Wardrobe which I highly recommend if you have a lot of stuff.  

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Greek was saying that it would help if folders could be color coded - not that you can, in Firestorm or any viewer.

uummmmm...  ok...  I'm going into the wardrobe system anyway.  I really hope it helps me to see what I have.

2 hours ago, Sandra8675 said:

uummmmm...  ok...  I'm going into the wardrobe system anyway.  I really hope it helps me to see what I have.

Good Luck with that...I bought CTS and struggled to get it working for me. I watched all the videos and read all the tutorials and went to some 'live' classes till I finally gave up. 

If its successful for you, I hope you can give lessons back here for others.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 12:26 AM, chardonay Babii said:

What i do is firstly don’t load the SL library in my viewers by disabling it jn settings. That alone gets rid if heaps of useless junk. 

Is that in Firestorm Chardonay? Can you explain where to find it so I can disable it too, please. 

9 hours ago, CheriColette said:

Good Luck with that...I bought CTS and struggled to get it working for me. I watched all the videos and read all the tutorials and went to some 'live' classes till I finally gave up. 

If its successful for you, I hope you can give lessons back here for others.

We will see...  I hope it is successful because I bought my bf one also with the promise I'd set it up for him.  Wish me luck.  fingers crossed

• Like 1

I right clicked about every top folder I had and selected DELETE and now have a very well organized inventory!

This strategy probably only works though after a long break finding out your entire inventory is massively outdated. But I can recomend it!

On 7/10/2019 at 12:40 PM, RaeLeeH said:

DELETE, UNPACK, HOLD (be careful it is not for a purse, pose, or pet!), DEMO, GIVE, HOVER, FLOAT, THANK YOU, REMOVE, READ, IMPORTANT, INFO, INFORMATION, INSTRUCTIONS (be careful you don't need it), HOW TO (again, use discretion), OBJECT, BAG, COPYRIGHT, ABOUT, GROUP, INVITE , POLICY.

Don't forget to check your landmarks folder to remove duplicates too.

Absolutely agree. I do this regularly with a few keywords but this is a great list to work on - thanks!!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2019 at 1:54 PM, CheriColette said:

Is that in Firestorm Chardonay? Can you explain where to find it so I can disable it too, please. 

In your Debug Settings

Advanced>DebugSettings

NoInventoryLibrary=true

Set the above value to true and your inventory will not load,  reset to false when you want to use any items in the inventory.

Edited by chardonay Babii
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, chardonay Babii said:
On 7/14/2019 at 9:54 PM, CheriColette said:

In your Debug Settings

Advanced>DebugSettings

NoInventoryLibrary=true

Set the above value to true and your inventory will not load,  reset to false when you want to use any items in the inventory.

Been a while since I used that setting, but it used to be that if you did that, then the Firestorm Bridge wouldn't work and I think the Bridge is a requirement if you want to use the built-in AO.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Been a while since I used that setting, but it used to be that if you did that, then the Firestorm Bridge wouldn't work and I think the Bridge is a requirement if you want to use the built-in AO.

I did it and the AO is working (I use FS to work AO) but the lighting is different so I went back. It was worth looking but I can except slow loading. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.