Notecards -- making a table

NanR

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

12 answers to this question

Notecards don't support tables. And even using spaces to pad text into columns is unreliable as the norm is for people to use proportional fonts and the fonts vary. You could create an image of a table and embed that in the notecard as a texture, but of course that is not a great solution for text content.

• Thanks 1

As I said in response to your previous thread on exactly this same question, you cannot put the table itself into the notecard, but you can embed a texture of the table that a user can then copy back to inventory and view as he would view any other texture.  That's not as satisfying as being able to see the table in the notecard itself, but sadly you cannot view a table in a notecard.  So, as I suggested before, create the table in Word or Excel or whatever, and then take a screenshot of it.  Save the screenshot and upload it as a texture to SL.  Put that in the notecard.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You really can't except in the most primitive way. Notecards don't allow any formatting.  You can make a pseudo-table by painstakingly building boxes out of symbols

|--------------------------|

|      Like This      |

|-------------------------|

but that's about it.  Oh, I suppose that you could make a table in Excel, take a screen shot, upload it as a texture, and put the texture in the notecard, so a user could drag it out and look at it.  That's even less satisfying, but it would let you include more complex tables.

That is because of the nature of a notecard. I suspect it to be a plain textfile... try converting it to a tabulature seperated text file... that might (I say might not will) work.

Edited by Fionalein

Another option might be to use a script that sends an html table to a browser window. There's probably a way to get Word to cough-up the html for you, then it's a matter of getting that html text into a script, where that script acts as an http server. (For non-scripters, this may sound scarier than it is.)

The thing is, though, this involves somehow getting recipients to activate the script and allow it load the URL on which it's serving the table, either into an internal or external browser depending on their viewer settings. However that gets distributed, it's certainly less familiar to recipients than simply opening a notecard.

[ETA: I meant to mention that if recipients are willing to load a URL, it might be simpler to just share the Word file table as a Google Doc with appropriate permissions, and distribute that sharing URL instead of bothering with a script to serve up the table as html.]

Edited by Qie Niangao

@NanR - You missing the basic point. Note cards are a plain text media. MS Word uses Hypertext Markup, meaning information about where on the page to draw a letter or line can be included. There is a load of non-printing characters in a Word document that controls the appearance. The engine that renders an SL note card does NOT know what to do with those characters.

The copy-paste function in Windows checks to see where the text is being pasted. If the target can handle the non-printing characters Windows includes them in the paste. If not, it strips them out.

If you want to see all the stuff in a word file, use the Windows notepad to open a DOCX file.

Basically, a boat can't fly.

On 4/21/2018 at 7:46 AM, NanR said:

How do I embed or paste a table into a notecard from Microsoft Word? The text will paste but not the table.

For the last time, Nan...YOU CAN'T DO THIS.  Notecards are simple text and don't support all the fancy formatting available in Word.  What you CAN do is place an attachment into your notecard.  Here are two workable solutions.

1.  Make your table in Excel or PowerPoint.  Export the table as a JPEG image.  Upload the JPEG to SL as a texture.  Name it "Schedule", or whatever.  Open your notecard.  Drag the Schedule texture from your inventory and drop it into the open notecard.  Save the notecard.

2.  Post your schedule on a website outside of Second Life.  Paste the URL for the website into your notecard.  Save the notecard.

Forget what I said about tabulators... they don't work in NCs. As NC isn't even using monospaced fonts you can not use even spacing either... It's futile, there is no way to do a table in SL.

well there is.. scripts use monopsaced fonts you can hide a monospace  table in a script comment,.. but urghhhh try telling anyone how to look at those...

🖤 Greetings Beautiful(s),

The solution I came up with was to create media prims I can pass, pre-linked to google doc tables, or as I prefer web-hosted pages. It's not a notecard, but you can place them in a notecard, and it won't cause any lag like a scripted table would(as though you made a table of prims; which was not a good solution I learned).

I am working on a website tool that will hopefully help everyone in SL, available for free.  You are welcome to IM me for early access.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.