Marketplace should just be shut down

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4615 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am wondering and very suspicious - since we have all seen LL's development practices in the past fully endorse and accept the concept of testing their new code and systems on LIVE production systems.  Hmmmm call me suspicious - but over the past few weeks our SLM deliveries have been becoming real unreliable with really weird and frequent failures..... AND we all know that one of LL Commerce's #1 focuses and obectives is the new DD service.

Are we all experiencing LL tampering and tinkering with the DD on our live systems and they are quietly causing problems?

Coincidence?

We know that LL doesnt really have a true test environment - that is why they actually released ALPHA SLM into our production XSTREET last June/July.  So maybe we are all now suffering with the Development Team testing out DD.

And some of you put so much trust in LL's Development Team to put out a reliable DD?

A couple of weeks ago I tried to purchase a Bear to show support for Japan, the Merchant was Marketplace Linden (I think), I was billed and never received my Japan Bear. A few days later I received an Email informing me that the item was unavailable for delivery and that my Account was credited.

The Lab should hire some random test purchasers, like ebay. Compensation would be in the form of Products from MP. A weekly budget of 250,000L$ to buy products. The Program could monitor and report each transaction in its entirety including feedback. Locate Testers from each time zone, Residents with performance reliable Systems and Residents who understand the basics when interfacing with SL.

Initiate transactions with proven systems managed by experienced Residents. This would help to quickly identify problems occuring outside of the common reasons for MP product delivery failures.

I had a "partially failed delivery" about two weeks ago.  To me it was a "failed delivery" since I did not get any lindens from it.  Ever since I've signed up for 30 days front page feature listing, my sales have dropped.  As for now, I can only view my items if I am not signed into the Marketplace.  When I am signed it, I can't edit any of my items because nothing shows up when I go to my store.

It should shut down but for other reasons :-)

With all due respect to anyones opinion, i believe it is safe to say that deliveries been more than smooth until a couple of days ago!

However, Marketplace should shut down because it will kill Second Life communities eventually!

Mall sales are in MASSIVE decline already and land owners most of the times need tenants in order to pay their tier!

This is one of those topics where SL doesn't know their own product well enough and where they don't understand that a regular person cannot afford to run a club or some sort of other venue without  renting out space to merchants!

The red flags dancing in the wind like mad!

It gets worse....  I found out that Items from other Merchants were delivered to my customers instead of the product that was bought from me. So imagine that when your item says delivered, the person says they never received it, but it actually went to somebody who purchased something by a different merchant...

This has been reported to me a couple of months ago as well.. so it may be common.

Reminds me of POT LUCK from Hell...

I just woke up and the queued items are still queued. I filed a support ticket. This is very similar to the issue that was happening last week and then was cleared up, and now is happening again. I really hope this is not in some way tied to the testing that is being done with DD, but it seems to be getting worse as the DD implementation date gets closer. On a side note, and probably unrelated (but who knows), my inventory is acting very strangely - when I am editing my inventory, things that I move or delete, start to move back to the original place or jump around constantly so that I can't be sure that something I've moved or deleted is staying moved or deleted. I can't imagine what would happen when I'm trying to edit a DD file and the items are jumping around like popcorn...

It's 6:30 AM (roughly) in Linden Lab Land. That means the staff won't be on duty for another hour or two. But this reminds me of one of my old Field Support stories....

I was working for a company that sold software to Manufacturer Reps. Those are the folks that hawk all sorts of items from glassware to stuffed animals .. but they hawk to retail stores, clubs, groups, etc. We'd had a number of problems reported from one of the more vocal (and grumpy) customers in the Dallas area. There's a big center there specifically designed for Man Reps .. so the company sent me down there to check it out.

I arrived the night before, found myself at the hotel bar .. and before long had replaced dinner with far too many alcoholic drinks. I wound up chatting up the barmaid .. and sometime around 5am I landed in my own bed. (However the time between 1am and then is lost to me .. LOL)

I was still quite drunk when, at 6AM my room phone began ringing. At 6:10 AM someone started pounding on my door. At 6:20 AM I finally answered the room phone. It was the "Gal Friday" of the grumpy customer. She'd been sent there specifically to collect me and take me TO the guy's store. oh gawd ....

Side note: Dallas was one hour ahead of my body clock at that time, so mentally make adjustments in my state of consciousness and sobriety .. k?

I think I took a shower, I'm pretty sure I got dressed .. but I sure didn't get time to eat because as I opened my door to head down to meet her, she was standing there waiting. (Dedicated .. perhaps. Petrified of being yelled at all day long .. definiitely.)

She drove me straight to his place, marched (okay she marched, I wobbled) down the long halls to his office area .. and showed me in.

The room was PACKED full of every customer we had in the Dallas / Fort Worth area that had any sort of trouble with our software. Tribunal was the first thing I thought of .. Executioner's Convention was probably closer to the truth.

It was a long month that day .. but I'll leave you here with that last mental image of me, still drunk, barely standing, possibly dressed (in last night's clothes I think) .. facing a room full of angry .. VERY angry customers. And my first words were ...

I do not believe in coincidences....

I have a very strong feeling this is the LL Development Team internally trying to integrate their new DD into the production SLM system - both are SLM system payment and delivery functions.  We all know from Brooke that LL is already collecting victims to be Alpha Testers for their DD.  (telling me that LL will not be taking any of our dicssions on revising the DD model to source from the magicbox - or maybe they did and this their mistakes in trying their new software).

This is horrable and nothing from Brooke being TRANSPARENT and telling us all the truth what they are really doing to the SLM !!  This LL Commerce Team is no different than their previous teams.

Last week when delivery failure spiked up and the Merchants complained - Brooke posted on the thread and said they were on it and got the bakclog of deliveries released..... Hmmmmmm.... she seemed to know what the cause was and how to get things moving again...  i.e. she likely knew all their disasters are related to their secret DD testing on our production system.

AND THAT IS WHY I DO NOT WANT THE DD TIED TO OUR PERSONAL INVENTORY!

I just got this response to my support ticket:

Thank you for contacting Customer Support regarding purchases through the Second Life Marketplace web site.

The Marketplace Team is aware of an issue that is causing delays with Marketplace Orders and a message has been posted on the Second Life Marketplace web site to alert users to the issue:

"We are currently experiencing delays in our delivery system. We apologize for any inconvenience and will remove this message as soon as the issue is resolved."

So, best thing is to watch the Grid Status Reports.

I understand your frustrations Pamela and we have all felt the pain from this. I had my team build a system that allowed for direct credit card transactions with an in world delivery system.  When it was operational (we have since ended it as the ROI was not there) we had a feature allowing merchants to toggle a redelivery option where the user could go to the site and ask for a copy item to be re-delivered. Obviously this does not work for no copy objects but as most purchase are for fashion items that are copy, I would think it would be a great feature to add to marketplace as well.

On another note regarding this, a large amount of my customers find my stuff in marketplace then come to my store to view it in world. I actually prefer this as this is where my differentiator is. The quality of my work is often muted by other products that photo well but look far less impressive in world. I think my stuff looks better in world than in photos.

Most of the day things were delivered correctly but then I began getting IMs from ppl whose things were "delivered" but they never got them.

Disable purchasing until it is fixed, I say. This is a terrible nuisance for customers and a huge time waster for merchants.

Also, I get no more Magic Box notifictions.

Aaaaaaaand it starts again. I just checked -- one woman ordered a dining set twice, and delivery failed, now has a third one "undelivered".  Most ppl are not that persistant. One failure and they go buy something else. And someone who had something "delivered" said no it was not.

And what gets me is that there is STILL no blog posting or explanation in any way from the LL Commerce Team what they have done to the SLM over the past month that is causing this massive rash of delivery failures. 

They seem to know since when the situation becomes critical - Brooke pops her head in and the SL Grid sends out an alert that the SLM is once again unstable.  But no explanation to the merchant customer base.

It the shadows of no transparency and lack of information coming from the LL Commerce Team - one can only suspect the root cause is related to things LL does not want to openly admit are the cause.

I have to guess its all related to the LL Dev team trying to quietly integrate the new Direct Delivery system into their very fragile SLM system.  Further guess is that the current SLM systems cannot effectively take the new code or some test loads or its incompatible or something.

This sure adds to the confidence that SLM Deliveries with DD will only get worse.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4615 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.