SL a California based virtual world

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, I guess, social media is where I find "peace and quiet," because nearly everyone I know there already agrees with me. I can nod my head approvingly at the politics and the news and the perspectives that come across my feed: they all just confirm what I already believe and feel.

You do know that pretty much everyone else in the world thinks your nation is a little nuts, right?

If everyone on your feed agrees with you, I would guess it just means you have limited your feed to people who agree with you. I have all views on my feed. You can subscribe to opposing views if you want. If everyone in the world "thinks our nation is nuts,"  then why has the USA been the top destination for migrants since 1960?, as of 2017, one-fifth of the worlds migrants are currently living in the USA. In 2016, the census said 44 million immigrants were living in the USA. People are literally dying to live here. Seems to me most do not hold you views. It may just be your view is Canadian? You believe Canadians don't like the USA? I lived in Newfoundland for two years, which is a part of Canada, and many loved Americans and the USA there. I did meet one woman there however who had anti-USA views similar to yours. Really one needs to realize there is a big difference between nature type areas and huge cities as far as the experience and quality of life. As John Denver sang about! There are amazing astral angelic people everywhere on this planet, in every nation. People who embody unconditional love and grace. But yes bad people also are found everywhere.

• Like 1

On 21/04/2018 at 1:27 AM, Bree Giffen said:

I was watching a youtube video (forgot what it was) but they mentioned that nearly all of the online social sites were made in California and reflect a lot of the social norms and morality system of the people who created them. SL is made in San Francisco. I was wondering if people outside of that state or outside of the U.S. notice anything in SL that seems different from what you'd expect to see if SL were made locally in your State/Country. 

Is SL too liberal in it's values? Too restrictive in certain things? 

I noticed SL time changes when California goes back and forth with day light saving....now why the time the sun gets up or goes down should effect our SL, I have no idea. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 8:27 AM, Bree Giffen said:

Is SL too liberal in it's values? Too restrictive in certain things? 

SL is too conservative and too white to be at all 'California' and even moreso, not anything at all like San Francisco or the Bay Area.

As a native of San Francisco, SL freaks me out sometimes with how ultra white and conservative it is. I am constantly going into 'culture shock' here and constantly getting into issues with SLers over their ethnocentric privilege.

I couldn't find a higher percentage of white people and white identity culture even at a Klan rally. At least that would have Kayne West, Ben Carson, and George Zimmerman...

Linden Lab might be in San Francisco, but the community that has adopted it's product is NOTHING like us.

I expect many of you will roll your eyes of click the 'laugh' option, 'confused' option, etc on this post - but that basically proves my point. You all think I'm nuts - which just shows exactly how much SL's community is radically 'white ethnic' and NOT like San Francisco and the Bay Area.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

SL is too conservative and too white to be at all 'California' and even moreso, not anything at all like San Francisco or the Bay Area.

As a native of San Francisco, SL freaks me out sometimes with how ultra white and conservative it is. I am constantly going into 'culture shock' here and constantly getting into issues with SLers over their ethnocentric privilege.

I couldn't find a higher percentage of white people and white identity culture even at a Klan rally. At least that would have Kayne West, Ben Carson, and George Zimmerman...

Linden Lab might be in San Francisco, but the community that has adopted it's product is NOTHING like us.

I expect many of you will roll your eyes of click the 'laugh' option, 'confused' option, etc on this post - but that basically proves my point. You all think I'm nuts - which just shows exactly how much SL's community is radically 'white ethnic' and NOT like San Francisco and the Bay Area.

Klan rally, that's where we're going with this, really?

I don't know what kind of Klan rallies you go to, but the ones I attend don't have nearly as many LGBT or furries as I see on a single day in SL.

This thread is so gonna get locked...

• Like 3

If my post bothers you, if you can't grasp the way I make my point, it proves it: This place is not like California, and especially not like the San Francisco Bay Area.

(The posters actual question almost makes the point - referring to San Francisco, and not San Francisco Bay Area - thus revealing not knowing what the culture here actually is. That's no fault of theirs - it just further upholds my point that this place, is not 'our scene').

Even the way I make my point, would make sense to people of the plurality of diverse yet also integrated (two radically different things) cultures here. Ethnocentric or mono-ethnic environments terrify us - and we're hard pressed to find examples of them as extreme as here. What you may see as a 'diverse range of people', we would see as a 'range of people all immersed in the same cultural norms of a norm not familiar to us'.

Some people come here for a short span of years because we have the most vibrant economy on the planet - and they come and go with every boom/bust cycle or even shorter, but people who stay for the decades or generations do so for the vibrant sense of integration.

So if my commentary style shocks you - it makes my point. We're not like "you" of SL.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

SL freaks me out sometimes with how ultra white

I never fail to be amazed that America's "large minorities" fail to grasp that in many parts of the western world they are SMALL MINORITIES.

The city I live in has a lot of assorted ethnic minorities in it, but even added together they don't constitute the majority of the population, sure If I go to the indian/pakistani area, there they are a majority, but most parts of the city, they are less than 10%.

It shouldn't be a surprise that most people logging in from a European country are ethnically European. For most of them, there were no "slave plantations" in their countries, Britain tends to be more ethnically diverse and ethnically friendly than some, because we have the British Commonwealth (our old Empire) and for a long time Commonwealth Citizens could come here and settle easily.

I am constantly going into 'culture shock' here

Grow thicker skin and learn that the world is not California... And that California is not San Fran..

6 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

referring to San Francisco, and not San Francisco Bay Area

Well excuse us "danged furriners" all to Hell, for referring to the actual name of a city, rather than to the name of an urbanised area which includes the City proper.

constantly getting into issues with SLers over their ethnocentric privilege

That tends to happen when people complain that under 40% of the avatars present are "the right race" and that there are "too many honky crackers" etc. Those who live by the Ethnocentric sword die by the ethnocentric sword, to coin a phrase, if you approach Europeans with that "Not enough of you are black" attitude, yeah, you are going to have a problem with them.

6 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Ethnocentric or mono-ethnic environments terrify us

I find it quite terrifying that here we have white kids who can't speak real English, all they can do is speak BAD imitation Chicago Gangsta Rapper...

You all think I'm nuts - which just shows exactly how much SL's community is radically 'white ethnic'

I don't think you are nuts...

A bigoted anti caucasian racist with an Afro-Pretentious chip on her shoulder maybe, but not nuts. I'd make excuses for a crazy person... ;) 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Klytyna said:

I never fail to be amazed that America's "large minorities" fail to grasp that in many parts of the western world they are SMALL MINORITIES.

You call me racist and yet you use phrasing like this...

Grow thicker skin and learn that the world is not California... And that California is not San Fran..

And that...

That tends to happen when people complain that under 40% of the avatars present are "the right race" and that there are "too many honky crackers" etc. Those who live by the Ethnocentric sword die by the ethnocentric sword, to coin a phrase, if you approach Europeans with that "Not enough of you are black" attitude, yeah, you are going to have a problem with them.

And that...

I find it quite terrifying that here we have white kids who can't speak real English, all they can do is speak BAD imitation Chicago Gangsta Rapper...

I don't think you are nuts...

A bigoted anti caucasian racist with an Afro-Pretentious chip on her shoulder maybe, but not nuts. I'd make excuses for a crazy person... ;) 

And then we have this blatantly racist stereotyping...

But again you make my point. The notion this thread put forth that SL was like San Francisco... is patently wrong if this kind of thinking is a norm.

Do note... I pointed out that this place is dramatically lacking in diversity. That you can even consider that an offensive thing to note... that you can consider me 'racist' for noticing this... is baffling. Me simply being in my skin and my ethnicity  as myself does not make me anti-white. It is sad that you cannot see this.

Not that you will understand it... but I am not bothered by Caucasians at all. I am bothered by people who feel they have a right to be culturally dominant - that's a trait I just don't typically see from people of Caucasian ancestry here in the Bay Area... but it's one you're screaming at me here in bold letters...

*sighs*

6 hours ago, Klytyna said:

3 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

You call me racist and yet you use phrasing like this...

I know this may come as a shock to you, but at a time when Afro-Americans were almost 30% of the american population, the percentage of people in the UK who were "Black-British" was closer to 5%.

That's not "Racist Phrasing" thats just the difference between the two countries, based on their history and past economies.

I've had Americans express shock when I admitted I don't speak Spanish, because "...but but... Hispanic Americans are x % of the population, Spanish is America's 2nd language, how can you not speak it".

How? Because I'm British, and there's no significant Spanish speaking ethnic group here. Different country, different demographics.

On 29 April 2018 at 8:16 AM, Pussycat Catnap said:

I am constantly going into 'culture shock' here and constantly getting into issues with SLers over their ethnocentric privilege.

if you approach Europeans with that "Not enough of you are black" attitude, yeah, you are going to have a problem with them.

3 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

And that...

Ok, what part of "X% of people from country Y are white so guess what, X% of people logging into SL from country Y are going to make white avatars" do you find hard to understand?

Help me understand here, bearing in mind, that in another thread you complained that only 30-40% of the starter avi options were "ethnic enough" for you, and more recently you complained that certain skin makers make too many "coloniser skin tones".

13 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Ethnocentric or mono-ethnic environments terrify us - and we're hard pressed to find examples of them as extreme as here

Never visit any country in Western Europe, or Eastern europ for that matter, or most of the western end of the old Soviet Bloc. You'll find the fact that the percentage of black people is so much smaller than you are used to in the US utterly terrifying.

You'd probably have a heart attack if you visited a small Englsh market town like Tewksbury, even though it's highly unlikely that you'd run into any major outbreaks of rampant racism there, the fact that it's white population is probably more than 85-90% would be too much for you.

4 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

And then we have this blatantly racist stereotyping

By comparison, I do find it terrifying that white British kids, speak with imitation Black "gangsta" style accents, even to the extent of imitating the variations between American cities ( A lot copied the accents on popular TV show "The Wire") to such an extend that they basically don't speak normal English, it's hard to understand their assumed accents, and they have real problems understanding normal English, hence they suffer academically, which many shrug off by claiming they don't need qualifications to be "gangsta" and deal drugs.

That's terrifying... Ethnically English kids who can't speak English and don't want to, now thats Mono-Ethnocentricism for you, We all have to abandon our culture and adopt an import from America.

Do note... I pointed out that this place is dramatically lacking in diversity

Yeah I read your posts in other threads on this... 30-40% of available starter avis are ethnic, but that figure is TOO small for you. Skin makers shouldnt make "coloniser" skin tones, etc.

That you can even consider that an offensive thing to note...

I don't consider it offensive to note, I just disagree with your estimation that SL's diversity needs to mirror the mix in the place where YOU live, rather than the mix across the places where SL residents actually live.

that you can consider me 'racist' for noticing this..

The racist part is you b*tching about white people making white avatars, because YOU think there are too many white people logging in from places that are not where YOU live.

Me simply being in my skin and my ethnicity  as myself does not make me anti-white. It is sad that you cannot see this.

You're right it doesn't, but thats not where you stop, you go on to use derogatory phrases like "colonisers" as a perjoritive term, bad skin makers making "coloniser skin tones" for their "coloniser" customers from "coloniser" countries, how dare white people log into SL in numbers YOU find offensive! THAT's what makes you a racist.

I am bothered by people who feel they have a right to be culturally dominant

Look in the mirror next time you feel the urge to rant about too many whites in SL, and make negative and  derogatory comments because they are NOT ethnically and culturally just like you, and remember that you said that.

but it's one you're screaming at me here in bold letters

No. I'm pointing out that you regularly post anti white ideology on the forums, there's too many of us in SL, how dare we use avatars with the same skin tones we ourselves have, etc., etc., etc.

Back to the topic of this thread...

I said SL is somewhat californian due to that double standard about sex, and others commented on other California-centric aspects of SL.

YOU were the one who played the Racist card and started whining that there's too many whites, and complaining that SL's multi national elements don't conform to the ideals of the Bay Area's terrified Afro-Pretentious racists.

In fact, your attitude is part of what makes SL as a whole feel very west coast America to some of us, the assumptions that x% of us will be this colour, y% will be that colour, z% will speak Spanish, etc., all based off what things are like over there on the West Coast of america, and expressing your surprise and shock, when you finally discover that...

7 hours ago, Klytyna said:

the world is not California... And that California is not San Fran..

• Like 4

*Looks in the thread*

O.o Zoinkers! Scoob!

This is definitely,not where I parked my Worlds Largest Flying Pancake..

*slowly steps back out of the thread,gently closing the door*

I don't think anyone seen us Scoob,so I think we're in the clear..

Now RUN!! \o/

=P

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I live in the SF Bay Area. So, maybe I’m a fish that doesn’t realize it’s in water, but I see no bias in sl. It’s exactly opposite for me. Usually, we are dealing with Americans 24/7 and it’s refreshing to meet people from all across the world. My sl relationship is from Buenos Aries (did I spell that right)?

im all about keeping our culture BS out of sl. I’d leave the minute I smelled politics or culture bias inworld. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.