Item Complexity

Julia Oxalis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2193 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone, i am hair creator and i'm having a problem, i don't know why but my hair have a HIGH complexity, my hair have only 4572 vertex and is with 2000 complexity, WITHOUT ANY TEXTURE! I don't know what to do... I must be doing something wrong in the export options... i've already disabled sound, animation, light, i'm MAYA user,  what should I do? Thanks for the patience <3

Not a hair maker but you might look at the MORE INFO tab for some hints to the problem. 

This is a VERY complex hair with different styles built in and has a complexity rating of 2450.  That is a GOOD number really as I have deleted all my "heavy" hair. Some is certainly lighter than this but a total avatar complexity under 50,000 is a benchmark for many events. 

I am most often in the 43,000 range but even with this hair and Steampunk attire I am still close to that 50,000 number. 

So maybe you are just worrying over something that doesn't need to be. Less is better, I agree though. The more tendrils you have the more vertices (typically). 

Sure an actual hair person could help more with this. 

image.thumb.png.4572835bc369a29983942fbe468296af.png

image.thumb.png.6a0732f095b48042dc21203c819f7cb6.png

Edited by Chic Aeon

54 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Not a hair maker but you might look at the MORE INFO tab for some hints to the problem. 

This is a VERY complex hair with different styles built in and has a complexity rating of 2450.  That is a GOOD number really as I have deleted all my "heavy" hair. Some is certainly lighter than this but a total avatar complexity under 50,000 is a benchmark for many events. 

I am most often in the 43,000 range but even with this hair and Steampunk attire I am still close to that 50,000 number. 

So maybe you are just worrying over something that doesn't need to be. Less is better, I agree though. The more tendrils you have the more vertices (typically). 

Sure an actual hair person could help more with this. 

image.thumb.png.4572835bc369a29983942fbe468296af.png

image.thumb.png.6a0732f095b48042dc21203c819f7cb6.png

Only one streak is 936 complexity...

Sem título.png

Well to me COMPLEXITY is the number you get when you check it in the Avatar Health area. You are looking at DISPLAY.  I am not sure how that relates to the avatar complexity data but hopefully someone does.  BUT if the DISPLAY number was actually the COMPLEXITY number then -- from my screenshot -- the avatar complexity would have increased 10160 which it did not. 

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well to me COMPLEXITY is the number you get when you check it in the Avatar Health area. You are looking at DISPLAY.  I am not sure how that relates to the avatar complexity data but hopefully someone does.  BUT if the DISPLAY number was actually the COMPLEXITY number then -- from my screenshot -- the avatar complexity would have increased 10160 which it did not. 

The avatar complexity display is just an approximation. The display weight of an object is indeed the complexity as well.

6 hours ago, Julia Oxalis said:

Hello everyone, i am hair creator and i'm having a problem, i don't know why but my hair have a HIGH complexity, my hair have only 4572 vertex and is with 2000 complexity, WITHOUT ANY TEXTURE! I don't know what to do... I must be doing something wrong in the export options... i've already disabled sound, animation, light, i'm MAYA user,  what should I do? Thanks for the patience <3

There is a known exploit to get at least rigged attachments to show very little display weight. You rez it on ground, scale it super tiny, attach it and due to the rigging it will snap to it's original size on the avatar, but the display weight remains as little as it was on it's tiny scale.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

There is a known exploit to get at least rigged attachments to show very little display weight. You rez it on ground, scale it super tiny, attach it and due to the rigging it will snap to it's original size on the avatar, but the display weight remains as little as it was on it's tiny scale.

Wouldn't it be NICE if people didn't have to go to all that work -- to work AROUND? 

:D

8 hours ago, Julia Oxalis said:

Hello everyone, i am hair creator and i'm having a problem, i don't know why but my hair have a HIGH complexity, my hair have only 4572 vertex and is with 2000 complexity, WITHOUT ANY TEXTURE!

That sounds about right.

The reason other mesh hair makers get so much lower numbers, is that they exploit the cheat Arton mentioned. Whether you want to use that cheat too is up to you of course but you should be aware that it doesn't reduce the actual render complexity, it just messes up the calculation.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

The avatar complexity display is just an approximation. The display weight of an object is indeed the complexity as well.

it works, but i noticed that some hair stores, like truth, have a display with 79000 and the hair has only 5000 complexity, i don't understand, how it is possible? an another cheat?

On 4/19/2018 at 7:36 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Wouldn't it be NICE if people didn't have to go to all that work -- to work AROUND? 

:D

The thing is, no one should be using this work around, and hopefully LL will plug the exploit eventually.

LL's complexity tools exist to guide people towards making better optimized content, that is to say content that doesn't kill performance. Unfortunately, there's several problems with LL's approach. Namely that exploits like this one exist, and also that the complexity tools themselves are poorly made and don't always reflect an accurate portrayal of an object's performance impact. For instance, current Land Impact calculations barely take texture use into account at all, allowing creators to pile on hundreds of megabytes worth of textures without thinking about it, even onto small items like drinking cups. On the other hand, the current Land Impact calculations punish people for making good use of LOD, in such a way where many creators strip away lower LOD models and tell their customers to crank up Object Detail well beyond what anyone should ever be using. Both of these issues are murder on performance.

On top of that, LL is so bad at educating users on good and bad content creation habits. SL users often don't realize the reason their framerates are so poor is because of the content they're wearing. Many content creators are entirely unaware of how badly the content they create affects lag and framerates, and it's not their fault. They're relying on the bad tools LL provided them.

Thankfully, LL seems to have turned over a new leaf in the past year or so and is promising fixes to many of these problems. The Land Impact and avatar complexity calculations are both up for changes for the express purpose of addressing these exact problems. I hope LL delivers. They've also expressed interest in better educating the userbase but have yet to reveal any plans to do so.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2193 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.